Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2019, 07:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

When do you pull over for cars behind you?

Just curious on a 2 lane road:

If you have a few cars behind you, do you wait until there is an actual PAVED pull off area or passing lane? Or do you pull off even into a gravel area? The last thing I want is a flat in doing so and replacing a 22.5 tire.
Seacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Only several cars and only a long paved stretch.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
Site Team

I will let them attempt to pass me anytime it’s safe. I’ll ride the right line so they could see around me safely. I’ll only pull over if I know that I can get over and back without issue.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

In Alaska its state law that an RV driver must pull off the road and allow traffic to pass when there are five or more vehicles behind them.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Anytime I can safely pull over, I will, to let folks go by. I often get waves of grateful from them.
On the otherhand, if there is a line of traffic ahead of me, and they will just held up further, I will not pull over.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #6
Veteran RV Owner

Depends on the "state of confusion" I am in at the time! Some "states" require you to pull over with three vehicles behind you, others may be more. I will pull over only when it is safe for me to do so and not damage my coach.
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I was a traveling salesman in my younger days. Following a half dozen RVs on a mountain or winding coastal road could ruin my day.

I slow on a wide shoulder or slow lane when possible, especially if there are five or more cars (state law). Some of the pull off lanes in the mountains are not long enough to allow all cars to pass before I need to get back on roadway.

I'll hug the right white line when passing is allowed and there isn't any oncoming traffic (and back into the middle when there is traffic).
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for everyone’s feedback. I will try to hug the outside line to let others pass when appropriate, but am going to avoid pulling off in unpaved areas.

I just looked up the law in Washington State, my home state. It specifies “slow moving....proceeding at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic”. Hopefully, going speed limit is not considered slow moving (except in Calif). Below is Wash State law:

RCW 46.61.427

Slow-moving vehicle to pull off roadway.

On a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe because of traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, a slow moving vehicle, behind which five or more vehicles are formed in a line, shall turn off the roadway wherever sufficient area for a safe turn-out exists, in order to permit the vehicles following to proceed. As used in this section a slow moving vehicle is one which is proceeding at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place.
Seacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'm with you on the condition of the pullout - I hesitate to do it in the gravel ones for fear of debris in them. It's a judgement call for sure.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I will never pull over if there is any chance of damage to the motorhome or the dingy. This means never ever on unpaved or rough rocky shoulders. The shoulders are were all the damaging debris lives.

If I am traveling the speed limit, I will not pull over. Too hard to get back on. I am usually near the speed limit, except in high speed states like Texas.
Memory Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

What really bothers me is when there’s a short pull off location on a hill. I won’t pull over and stop only to lose what momentum I have and end up with just as many cars behind me as before.
Dioji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
when it is safe for me to do so.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

The last time I pulled off on the shelter road to let someone passed me it cost me 250 bucks for a tire
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

If it's summer and I know the gravel is hard and dry, I may try to pull over if it also looks relatively smooth and free of tire cutting rocks. But in winter or if it has been raining I will only pull over onto sealed surfaces. Otherwise there is a good chance you may sink in and get stuck.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I use the rule I’ve known for mist of my big rig life and I’m 63. If it’s one car and a passing lane is coming up I’ll slow down so they can pass safely. If it’s three or more cars and I can pull I’ve safely on asphalt I pull over. If the siding is dirt or gravel and I am not sure about the hardness I don’t pull off, but I will pull to the right and slow down so all can pass. I have seen more that a few rigs stuck in a soft siding so I just don’t do it.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Pulling over

Safety is the primary concern for everyone. I will pull over if it is safe for me and my rig anytime as a courtesy to faster drivers.
marcusf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:42 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I only pull over if I am not able to maintain the posted speed limit which is rarely the case and when I am going below the posted speed limit I only pull over if its not because of the slow vehicle(s) in front of me blocking us all and if it is me then only when it is safe to do so. Few single lane roads have good solid wide shoulders where its safe to pull over with a tall heavy vehicle to allow other vehicles to pass and multi-lane highways have one to three other lanes to pass you with.

Just yesterday I had a car tailgating me in the far right lane while I was going 42 in a 40 mph zone with a bicycle lane and schools on it and it was 4 lane divided road. He was weaving in and out and passing at about 20 mph above the flow of traffic. I almost put on my emergency flashers to slow down and let him pass when he cut off left lane traffic and sped by and I was driving a car.

I almost called 911 to report the reckless and negligent driver however I believe the traffic camera already got him.

Most of those state laws about pulling over are relevant to slow vehicles that are going below the posted speed limit such as farm and construction equipment and not about the motor home or commercial truck traveling at the posted speed limit.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #18
Old Dirt Biker

When to pull over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
In Alaska its state law that an RV driver must pull off the road and allow traffic to pass when there are five or more vehicles behind them.
It's the same in Idaho except it's 4 cars here. Most 2-lane have a paved shoulder wide enough for big trucks and RVs every few miles, usually at the crest of a hill so it's easier for the RV/truck to speed up once the cars go past. I'm not about to pull onto a dirt, grass, who-knows-what shoulder.
MotoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:48 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

California law- 5 cars you must pull over. However we do it as safety allows as a courtesy.
AMDLCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:00 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacrazy View Post
Just curious on a 2 lane road:

If you have a few cars behind you, do you wait until there is an actual PAVED pull off area or passing lane? Or do you pull off even into a gravel area? The last thing I want is a flat in doing so and replacing a 22.5 tire.
On a 2 highway with no shoulder I will slow down and wave them around when it's safe. We have a 38 foot A class and I am usually going fast enough that it is no big deal, (usually 5 over the limit), but in the scenario you described that is how I handle it. I am a bit concerned reading some of the other answers to your question. I was not aware there are states where with "X" amount of vehicles behind you there is a requirement to pull over. Frankly I find it hard to believe that would apply in the situation you're describing where there is no shoulder or grass or gravel. That is simply not safe and a flat tire would not be my primary concern. Tipping over would be. I'm sorry folks in states with that law, I'll wave you around when I can but I'm not pulling off the road unless there is an asphalt or cement shoulder and that's a ticket I'll have to take.
rpollock is offline   Reply With Quote