Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-07-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Smile What's under my carpet?

I have a 2008 Winnebago Destination 39W class A motorhome that was manufactured with linoleum in the kitchen and bathroom, with carpet in all other areas. It looks like the carpet was installed over the linoleum, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how far the linoleum extends under the carpet. I want to pull up the carpet, and would like to leave the linoleum in place if it's in good enough condition. I'll leave the carpet on the slideouts. Thanks!
LazyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If it's like my '04 Adventurer, the tiles/vinyl, only goes under the carper a few inches.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the info, Tim.
LazyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Beyond the vinyl it will be unfinished plywood. I'm not familiar with your model but it may be metal in the cockpit area.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

If it's anything like our 2007 Sightseer, the linoleum doesn't go very far under the carpet. We removed all the carpet and linoleum in our coach. Up by the captain's chairs, there is metal under the carpet with incredibly sticky glue. It is the worst stuff I have ever encountered. My original plan was to put linoleum back in everywhere, but that glue is impossible to remove. We are putting carpet back down under the captain's chairs and linoleum everywhere else. Our slides come in right on the carpet with no rollers, so we are going to have several carpet-covered pieces of wood to put down when we put the slides in so it doesn't scratch the vinyl.

I tried to salvage our carpets by cleaning them when we purchased this in September and unfortunately only succeeded in making mud. It was disgusting. I'm not sure this rig was ever cleaned in its lifetime :( Vinyl isn't as soft and plush on the feet, but at least it can be truly cleaned!
Kalldrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Agree with all the previous responses. Just to springboard off Kalldrin, when we ripped out our carpet and installed 12 x 24 vinyl self stick, all was a piece of cake until we attacked the cockpit area. Challenging!

As Kalldrin reports, some amazing adhesive under the carpet padding. Worse, the padding and carpet masked all the ripples and hollows in the metal floor. Rather than replace the carpet, our solution was to lay 3/8" plywood underlayment in that area. Held by adhesive and a few self-tapping screws. Then tile.

Depending on your point of view, we now have either a sunken (by 3/8") main salon, or a raised cockpit. A standard aluminum carpet-to-hard floor transition piece ties the two spaces.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote