Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2018, 10:02 PM   #21
Site Team

I've logged a bit over 22K miles in the past 18 months towing a Mini Cooper Roadster 4-down in our 2010 Vista 32K (with a 5-speed transmission). We're sitting at 6.82 MPG over that time. That's 2 round trips of the US over both the Rockies and Appalachian mountains. We try to keep around 64 mph on the highway.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KtyTraveler View Post
I am seriously thinking of buying a 35F Vista and wanted to pull my AWD vehicle and everything I'm reading states not a good idea... What do you use to get this done... very happy to read your post

My experience only applies to a 2016 Vista 30T with the 6 speed transmission. It has an 18,000# GVWR chassis with a 4.7 rear axle ratio. At 60 mph the engine rpm is 1750. I flat tow a 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek with the manual transmission. Actually it achieved 9 mpg on a 3,000 mile round trip between Apache Junction, AZ and Columbus, GA last winter when I was not towing the Subaru. If one were to tow a heavier car on a dolly or trailer, I am sure it would detract substantially from the fuel economy and all bets are off if your motorhome has a heavier chassis. You would have to consider the experience of drivers hauling those kinds of loads.
hfbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:04 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

There are so many variables, including, but not limited to driving style, road topology, weight, drive train condition, etc. that there's really no way to know what to "expect" except in a very large range. The simple answer is you'll get what you'll get. Once you establish your own base line, you can vary your driving style to find what works best.

Check your tachometer and try to find the sweet spot, where the revs drop after your gears finish shifting up into overdrive. Sometimes you'll find that it just wants to hang in there at high revs and not initiate the last shift. Play with the gas pedal to get it "over the hump", your rpms will drop and your mpg will increase.

Whatever you get, you're not going to be happy with it.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Time View Post
When asked I always say "7.5 avg; pretty bad for a motor vehicle, but great mileage for a house."
What a great line, I need to remember that!
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, winnebago