Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

We have a 2004 Journey. We have been in California for a couple of months ... during the past couple of weeks we have had some VERY HOT and SUNNY days.

Yesterday when I walked around my rig I noticed that the street side logo looked like there was rust or dissapated ink behind my logo ...

The street side was facing the hot afternoon sun.

The important question: "Is this just cosmetic damage or is it likely to harm the fiberglass sidewall"?

Thanks for you responses ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have a 2004 Journey. We have been in California for a couple of months ... during the past couple of weeks we have had some VERY HOT and SUNNY days.

Yesterday when I walked around my rig I noticed that the street side logo looked like there was rust or dissapated ink behind my logo ...

The street side was facing the hot afternoon sun.

The important question: "Is this just cosmetic damage or is it likely to harm the fiberglass sidewall"?

Thanks for you responses ...
Old 04-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Could it be the adhesive melting and oozing out? It looks like it's only occurring where the Journey logo overlays the big "W" decal, so hopefully, it's not in contact with the sidewall. I'd sure send those pix to Winnie for their opinion...

Good luck!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

tom ...

good advice ... I did exactly that ...
Old 04-18-2008, 01:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

try with a fine compound
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

let us know what winnie says....i'll be in hot hot weather soon.

thanks for the heads up!
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Unless it it some sort of growth on the outside, you will most likely have to peel off the stickers. The W will most likely come off with it also. I didn't like all the stickers on our Vectra and removed all of them. I removed them by hand and by using a 3M spray glue and adhesive remover (blue can available at walmart). You will be surprised at how nice the coach looks without the stickers. Maybe Winnebago will send you new stickers.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Jim and Sue: When we met, your coach did have that exceptional clean, sleek appearance and now you mentioned it, it was the absence of decals. Do you think it would be too late to remove some of mine, a 2004?

Skigramp, just figured out you have an '04 also, please post photos of your FIX. Thanks.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Gary, all I can suggest is to take the smallest decal off and see what you see. I would plan on some sort of buffing of the clearcoat.

Have you installed the door stop?

Skigramp, please keep us informed

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 04-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Winnebago has contacted the supplier ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wayne,

Thank you for providing the photographs illustrating the problem you are experiencing with the Journey logo. We have taken the liberty to forward a copy of your correspondence to our decal supplier for their review and input. They have informed us it is a matter they are looking into. They do intend on providing us with an update after they perform their evaluation. We will let you know once we hear back from them.

Service Administration
Winnebago Industries, Inc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I heard from Winnebago this week ..

Once again Winnebago comes through ...

~~~~~~ winnebago response ~~~~~~~~~
<span class="ev_code_Blue">
Wayne,

We would like your dealer to order replacement decals and replace them on your Journey. Winnebago will cover the parts and labor cost. Please have your dealer call for authorization and directions. We will need your dealer to send the decals back to us for evaluation.

Service Administration
Winnebago Industries, Inc.
[email protected]</span>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Thats great that Winnebago came thru for you. We have nothing but praise for their customer service.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 05-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Skigramp,

That's great news!
Thanks to Winnebago.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:16 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Thanks to Winnebago. Think about it, when busines s is in the tank. Here is a company that is still standing behind their product and taking care of previous business. I know every time I look at my rebuilt 2001 Suncruiser, compliments of Winnebago, I am glad I bought from a company that cares.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Skigramp:

Glad to hear Winnebago stood up and solved your "W" sticker problem on your Journey. We have the exact brother/sister to Ernie (04 39W in Catalina Blue). Our nameless Journey lives near Phoenix, AZ (under cover, however) but has not shown the problem your pictures displayed. I read your posts often here and know you guys lovr your Ernie as much as we love our "----".

Hope to run across you someday.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:21 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<span class="ev_code_RED">UPDATE</span>

The dealer ordered the replacement decals. When they removed the defective decals some of the brownish stain had gone through the clear coat and into the paint.

Winnebago is going to pay to have the area repainted ... then the new decals will be applied.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Skigramp

I have exactly the same issue, same color coach, same color stains on the logos. Who at Winnebago did you contact to get it taken care of?

Thanks

Simon

22ft TPD Trailer
Slowdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

After it's painted, did you consider NOT putting on the new decals? As soon as I got our new Journey I took them off. No damage to the paint and the coach looks much cleaner. Don't get me wrong, I love our Journey but removing 10-12" tall decals makes it look a lot cleaner and you never have to worry about that original issue again. Just a thought.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

I am happy to report that the cosmetic procedure has been completed on Ernie ... he looks as good as new ... The cost to me was $0.00 ... only the fuel to the dealer and back ...

This is the third time that he has had to have some touching up ... because Winnebago uses all "off-the shelf colors" from autos of the same year the paint shops get the exact matching color(s) by calling Winnebago with your VIN or serial number ...

Ernie is back in the storage shed ... where he is safe from the wind, rain, and more rain that has been coming through this area ...

Ernie is stored here ... ==&gt; Ernie garage
Old 06-16-2008, 05:14 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Ski I looked at ours and saw some small stains. We will be at FC on 6/25 to get the roof repainted and the heat pump repaired. I'll have them checked. I'm calling Winny this Wed to be sure we can get there and they are open. I-80 is still closed, 218 is 1 lane. If 80 opens we may have to go to Des Moines to catch 1-35. Hope we see you at the rally in Sept to compare notes. You know most of our vendor products have been replaced. Wish I had a CSP like I didn't need on the old Money Pit 1. lol