Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2019, 09:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

West Virginia Turnpike With Gasser

Any of you ever driven the West Virginia Turnpike from Charleston WV south with a gasser? Goes from 600' elevation to 3400' at a 6% grade and then down to 1400'.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:16 PM   #2
JBP
Winnie-Wise

driven Rockies with gasser. no major problems. down to 45mph on some grades.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Driven the western mountains with a gasser without any problems. You just need to be patient and take your time. Going down the grades is the hard part. Make sure to use the engine for braking.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:13 AM   #4
Site Team

The only real issues you will encounter is the cost. What USED to cost $2-$2-$2 in a car is now $4-$4-$4. We went North this past spring and I think the total for the RV was just shy of $20 for the TPK section and, I think, the e-toll missed our toad on one of the scans. We use an Ohio purchased ez-pass. The elevation change is negligible for the most part. We're over the Rockies now which was a slower go than normal but still not as bad as it could have been. As above mentioned use engine braking. (use the tow-haul mode)
Old 08-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #5
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Should have added that we pull a 2017 Chevy Equinox.
I always turn the tow haul mode when in very hilly or mountainous areas.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Would not expect any change on that small distance, other than you do need the power to move it up and some engine to slow it going down. The grades in the East are much easier to deal with as they are pretty short and then when on interstate the grades are much less steep as they are regulated to meet interstate standards. Short sharp up/down don't heat things like long ones. Do learn to control speed so that brakes are not used often.
Strap the wallet in really tight, though!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys for the input. Wanted to be sure of what I was heading into. It will be early November when we travel that route.

Richard
Old 08-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hey gromhome - I actually live in Charleston, WV and travel the turnpike pretty often. I have a 2001 Adventurer on a Workhorse chassis (gas). The good thing about the WV Turnpike (and all of WV, for that matter) is that it is one hill after one valley, after hill, after valley, etc. So you can usually "get a run at it" if there's a big hill coming. And conversely, if you're coming down a grade, there will always be a hill ahead of you to slow you down. More so than the grades on the turnpike, the tight turns are probably more problematic. There are many windy turns between Charleston and Beckley. As ThomB said, the real pain in the butt (pain in the wallet) is that they just doubled the tolls not long ago. The toll booths can be kinda tight - stay to the booths on the right if need be... they are a little wider. I've gone through them all, but the ones in the middle are close to the mirrors. If you're going to continue south on I77 from Beckley, keep an eye out for the hill at Fancy Gap, going into NC. Definitely need to take it easy going down that hill (beautiful view, though). If you're taking I64 east at Beckley, several miles after the split there is a pretty significant hill (Sand Stone Mountain) that you will want to take it easy on. It is right before the Hinton exit while traveling east. One last thing - even in early November, Flat Top (right before the Ghent exit) can see a lot of snow or fog. They do a pretty good job of keeping it clear after the fact, but if you're driving through some weather as it happens, it could be rough through there. Safe travels!

-Jeff
WarrenJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Jeff, thanks for your perspective. We'll actually be driving the WV Turnpike October 30 if plans go accordingly and we'll watch the weather. I'm planning on purchasing a turnpike pass before we leave to make it as easy as possible. I'm also planning on having a couple of route options for weather and road conditions. Living 6 months a year in Michigan it just makes sense. Richard
Old 08-30-2019, 11:48 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromhome View Post
Living 6 months a year in Michigan it just makes sense. Richard

It would be soooooo much better if you lived in OH-IO! ;-)
(Ohio born and raised (East of Cleveland in the snow-belt) until I figured out that I didn't like snow anymore.)
Old 08-31-2019, 03:53 PM   #11
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Gromhome what coach do you have?
We will be heading North in Oct. Going back to KC for baby shower second grand child. I will take opportunity to head to factory for some work needing done or to Lichtsinn.
Then back to South Texas for winter.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We're actually waiting for a governor to come along who will want to MMGA (make MI great again) by building a wall to keep Ohio out (LOL). They actually sell T-shirts that say that. Ah, the interstate rivalries.......
Richard
Old 09-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2003 Adventurer 33v
Old 09-03-2019, 11:49 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
We're actually waiting for a governor to come along who will want to MMGA (make MI great again) by building a wall to keep Ohio out (LOL). They actually sell T-shirts that say that. Ah, the interstate rivalries.......
Richard

LOL, just make sure that wall falls on the South and East side of that traitorous city of Toledo. You can have that back!
Old 09-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
We're actually waiting for a governor to come along who will want to MMGA (make MI great again) by building a wall to keep Ohio out (LOL
I think that wall is to keep OHIO STATE out !

O-H.......I-O !
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593 & WIT 170814
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

We have. No problems at all. You just have to take it slow Hubby sometimes puts it in low gear but our 38 Itssca made it just fine.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #17
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Ohhh gromone

You made my day. Sitting her in Vancouver / Surrey bc on a beautiful sunny day drinking a martini, eating peanuts and unwinding from a tough day. Thanks

As for the hill question? I have not seen anyone mention torque curve. If you dont know it Id suggest you research your drivetrains peak torque. I printed a label with its rpm for PT and placed it by the speedometer. No matter what gear Im in, if Im climbing, I try to be close to PT. It isnt always possible to be exactly on it but you need to know where and how its shaped.
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
I think that wall is to keep OHIO STATE out !

O-H.......I-O !
I see youre in Chardon. I grew up in Madison and lived all over NEO. We left in 2009 for warmer climates.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:38 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I see youre in Chardon. I grew up in Madison and lived all over NEO. We left in 2009 for warmer climates.
Have started to think the same, but we have a dog boarding kennel at our home that has to go with whoever would purchase the home.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593 & WIT 170814
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Turnpike Pass

Quote:
Jeff, thanks for your perspective. We'll actually be driving the WV Turnpike October 30 if plans go accordingly and we'll watch the weather. I'm planning on purchasing a turnpike pass before we leave to make it as easy as possible. I'm also planning on having a couple of route options for weather and road conditions. Living 6 months a year in Michigan it just makes sense. Richard
Consider a North Carolina Quick Pass as it is honored on the EZPass and Sun Pass systems. Covers more territory with one account. (You dont have to live there to get one).

Just completing a gasser trip around the country, including the Rockies. Just takes a little longer going up some of the grades is all. A couple of times I saw 5k rpm going downhill. A little disconcerting but it works.

Tags
gas