Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water Tank Drain on 2004 Itasca Suncruiser

Well, I believe that I have the thing winterized! Wow, I know I will go down in history as the worst at that job! Left the outside shower on with the head on the ground, then couldn't figure where ALL THAT ANTIFREEZE WAS GOING! Well one more gallon for the black and gray tanks and it's done.

My problem is that I cannot find the water tank drain valve. The book (boy, what a joke - who in the world writes these things, and could they be more vague?) says right side compartment towards rear. I have crawled around and looked in every bay. Found an orange lever right behind the entry door, but when I moved it nothing occurred. The book shows more of a faucet that a hose can be screwed to. If anyone has ideas, I would sure appreciate the insight! Thanks in advance!

Jewels
Jewelsinmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

My Itasca is older than than yours so I probably will be of no help, but my drain valve has a yellow handle and is right next to the fresh water tank.
R Kimbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Try opening the compartment doors and looking for the fresh water tank. On most models it is visible, or at least part of it. The yellow handle on the angle valve should be turned 90 degrees to dump the fresh water. Be sure to run non-toxic antifreeze through the sink tap, bathroom tap, shower head and toilet valve. Good luck. Better suggestion: Get in the rig and drive to warmer weather in Florida or Arizona. No need to winterize that-a-way.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

In our Aspect the tank is under the bed and the drain is a yellow handled ball valve. Parallel to the water line is drain; perpendicular is closed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Well, it sounds as if the orange lever is it then? I moved that with no results, and I believed there to be water in the tank. Very curious....then pump does not need to be on does it? I had reasoned that gravity would take care of it. Does anyone put antifreeze in their water tank? The person before me did, and it took forever before I couldn't smell something bad when I ran the water.

As far as heading for warmer ground, RIGHT ON! Can't leave for Florida until Dec 26th. Kids were throwing fits! Kids!

Thanks to you all for the help. I got the sinks, toilet, and shower, so with one more gal for the black and grey, I believe I am good to go!

Jewels
Old 10-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

On our 2004 Adventurer 33V the fresh water tank drain is in the compartment to the left of the entry door. Once the storage bay door is open the fresh water tank is visible along with the valve.

I would not recommend that you put antifreeze in the fresh water tank or water heater.

I personally blow out all the lines with compressed air then pump antifreeze through the system.

Remember to remove any water filter(s).
Old 10-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I think you have found it. Right rear corner of the rear water tank, right?

View H on page 7 of this pdf shows it:
2004 35U plumbing diagram

And you don't know if it's full? It should be obvious looking at the side of the tank, unless it's totally full or empty such that there isn't water level to see.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

on mine, it's in the compartment left of the entry door where the water pump & bypass valves are in---it's labeled as well on mine...does your level meter show anything in your fresh tank?
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

The fresh water tank shows empty on the gauge, and visually I can see no water now that I know where to look! I think I'm fine, but a bit confused as every talks about blowing out the lines prior to antifreeze? That I didn't do! I drained the water heater and bypassed that then pumped the antifreeze thru until it came from all available faucets. Hope this is appropriate and will ensure I am good until the end on Dec.

Thank you all so very much for helping me through this, and I apologize for my stupidity! It is so nice to be able to learn from others that have been doing this awhile!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Not everyone blows out the lines first. You should be fine.

Did you let enough antifreeze go down the drain so the traps are protected?

Did you remove any water filters?

Did you do the sprayer for the toilet?

And how about the outside shower ?
Old 11-03-2011, 05:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Not everyone blows out the lines first. You should be fine.

Did you let enough antifreeze go down the drain so the traps are protected?

Did you remove any water filters?

Did you do the sprayer for the toilet?

And how about the outside shower ?

About 2 cups down each drain - should that be enough?
Removed the filter and put in the plug prior to winterizing, my toilet has no sprayer, but did make sure pink flowed through toilet. And I did do the outside shower.

I am pretty complete, wrote steps prior so I wouldn't forget anything that I could think of, just not real smart! Thanks for taking the time to check me on it, as I do so much appreciate it!
Jewels
Old 11-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Just do not forget to turn the bypass valve back to operate before you turn on the water heater - It will nicely fry the element if you do not.
I have first hand experience on this.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Jewelsinmo,

Along with the fresh water tank drain valve you have a fresh water system drain, usually located in the same compartment as the water pump and it is the lowest point in the water system
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WINNE PLUMBING4-1.jpg
Views:	2560
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	15358  
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, suncruiser, tank, water