Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water coming in around overhead light.

I have a 2011 Journey 40U and several times now I have had water coming out of bedroom slide over head light and through mid-cabin ceiling vent. These are independent of each other. This does not happen when raining but when a/c is running so I think it is condensation but am stumped on where it is coming from and how to prevent it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rgreen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgreen44 View Post
I have a 2011 Journey 40U and several times now I have had water coming out of bedroom slide over head light and through mid-cabin ceiling vent. These are independent of each other. This does not happen when raining but when a/c is running so I think it is condensation but am stumped on where it is coming from and how to prevent it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Have you cleaned out the drain holes for the slide locks? I use a pipe cleaner. If the hole is not plugged, remove the topper (Use great care so as not to get injured) and inspect the plastic ring around the lock bucket for cracks. Seal if needed.
Please remove the button caps on the screws and remove the screws holding the band onto the light bar. You need to dry that area out before rot and mold starts to form.
Another problem I had was with a screw from the light bar going through the roof. With the topper off you can inspect the roof.

To remove the topper, put a screw or cotter pin into the right side of the roller tube to lock the spring. Remove the allen screws from the roller end and lift the topper onto the main roof. I have done this several times for different reasons. Check your sealants while this is off.
Happy trails.
Rick
Old 10-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Rick, thanks for the info. I have removed the band around the light bar and dried up the visible moisture, and there was alot, and used a hair dryer assist in the drying. Haven't taken off the slide topper yet but will do that when I get to home base. Was looking for YouTube video for assistance on cleaning the drains you spoke but haven't found anything. If you know of any video please pass it on. Thanks again Rich G.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Rick, thanks for the info. I have removed the band around the light bar and dried up the visible moisture, and there was alot, and used a hair dryer assist in the drying. Haven't taken off the slide topper yet but will do that when I get to home base. Was looking for YouTube video for assistance on cleaning the drains you spoke but haven't found anything. If you know of any video please pass it on. Thanks again Rich G.
Take a look at this. It really is a no brainier, Rich. Learning about each new to us RV can is often frustrating and a bit intimidating.

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/s...ut%20Locks.pdf
The area above the lights must have time to dry. Don't rush it and close it back up too soon.

Another potential plugging area is from the A/C drain tubes. If these plug you could get water through the discharge vents in the ceiling.

Open the door to the start battery/storage/chassis circuit breakers. The rear most (right end) of this bay gains access to the air filter and gives a bit more light to see the drains. Look under the around the air filter proximity and locate the 3 tubes hanging down. The plastic screens are slip fit and will pull off with a bit of careful persuasion. Clean them out and reinstall. They really are translucent.
Rick
Old 10-21-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again Rick, I appreciate your taking the time to answer my query.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks again Rick, I appreciate your taking the time to answer my query.
RVing is a big family. We like to help one another. No valuable time taken. Just a little valuable information given so you can spend more valuable time camping and having fun!
Keep us posted as to what you actually find as the cause of the leak. I was bummed out when I found the cracks in the lock basket retaining ring. QC issue? Slow to discover??
Rick
Old 10-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks much for the information! I also have a 2011 40U Journey - and I had this same issue but have not dug into fixing it yet. My leak only appeared when I had the driver side main slide out. The last 2 nights on the road I left it in at the RV park and had no issues (it was raining on and off, so it did get rained on when the slide was in). The AC was not on, so that would not be the problem. I will post what I find wrong with mine. Any you tubes on removing the topper would be great if anyone knows about any.
Kevinbrown01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinbrown01 View Post
Thanks much for the information! I also have a 2011 40U Journey - and I had this same issue but have not dug into fixing it yet. My leak only appeared when I had the driver side main slide out. The last 2 nights on the road I left it in at the RV park and had no issues (it was raining on and off, so it did get rained on when the slide was in). The AC was not on, so that would not be the problem. I will post what I find wrong with mine. Any you tubes on removing the topper would be great if anyone knows about any.
That side has always given us problems. I often find critters in the drain hole. Its a bummer when we are having coffee in the morning and water starts to run down the window, on the inside! I then realize I forgot to clean the drain holes recently. When the weather is good it is something I tend to forget.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Slideout lock replacement

Has anyone replaced the entire slideout lock unit? I have a 2007 Vectra and the lock bucket is totally rusted therefore causing water to leak into the bedroom and the light bar above the couch.
sealegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealegs View Post
Has anyone replaced the entire slideout lock unit? I have a 2007 Vectra and the lock bucket is totally rusted therefore causing water to leak into the bedroom and the light bar above the couch.
I have worked on mine. It would be a chore but doable.
One of mine was leaking. When I got the topper back I found the the screws on the plastic dam ring had cracked the ring when installed. I caulked the ring and my leak went away.
The motor comes out from the inside. A screw and a couple of pivot pins if I recall. Just how to get the lock paddle out, I don't know. But it can't be impossible. Are you certain that the bucket is rusted through? The drain hole is not plugged from inside the bucket with rust?
Your lock is the PowerGear one??
Old 01-31-2019, 10:04 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I have worked on mine. It would be a chore but doable.
One of mine was leaking. When I got the topper back I found the the screws on the plastic dam ring had cracked the ring when installed. I caulked the ring and my leak went away.
The motor comes out from the inside. A screw and a couple of pivot pins if I recall. Just how to get the lock paddle out, I don't know. But it can't be impossible. Are you certain that the bucket is rusted through? The drain hole is not plugged from inside the bucket with rust?
Your lock is the PowerGear one??

Thanks for the feedback. I got hold of the manufacture of the slide lock system and they sent me all the manuals, drawings. etc. for the system. For a temporary fix, as it won't be moving for a while, I pulled the ring unit to use as a template and cut plexiglass covers to put over the opening. The entire bucket is rusted, as well as the drain plug, so that part of the unit will have to be replaced. At least water will not be getting into the coach now!!!
sealegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealegs View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I got hold of the manufacture of the slide lock system and they sent me all the manuals, drawings. etc. for the system. For a temporary fix, as it won't be moving for a while, I pulled the ring unit to use as a template and cut plexiglass covers to put over the opening. The entire bucket is rusted, as well as the drain plug, so that part of the unit will have to be replaced. At least water will not be getting into the coach now!!!
Is it a PDF or did they mail a paper package to you? If a PDF, would you please post the link?
Old 02-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have moved to a new RV park, now in Florida and gone through several rainstorms. The driver's side did not leak, but now the passenger side leaked. I cleaned out the lock drain - they were clean, and it still leaked. I then used "Tenacious Tape" to fix all the holes in the topper and then slanted the coach so the rear was 1 degree lower than the front, based on a digital level. Several rain storms later, no leaks.
Kevinbrown01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, water