Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

After having my 08 Voyage for nearly 2 months, I can't figure out why Winni has it as the bottom of the line coach! What is the difference? I can't find one thing that is not well made or 1st class in this coach. That is besides the faucet on the bathroom sink. The stock one is history!!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

After having my 08 Voyage for nearly 2 months, I can't figure out why Winni has it as the bottom of the line coach! What is the difference? I can't find one thing that is not well made or 1st class in this coach. That is besides the faucet on the bathroom sink. The stock one is history!!
Old 08-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Fortunately for Winnie shoppers, many of the attributes of the more expensive RVs has trickled down to the less expensive models. At the risk of being a blatant cheerleader for Winnie (they aren't perfect though), you have the benefit of excellent design and engineering which was immediately obvious to me when I went coach shopping.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I agree with John. No manufacturer is perfect and I do think there are a few (very few) things on my coach that could have been done differently. I was looking at a new high end Fleetwood DP at the new CW store that just opened in my area (just browsing, for sure) and I've always thought they were a nice, solid looking rig. The more I probed, the more I found that made me wonder.

In their price range, I think Winne does a great job. Even our old '97 Adventurer was solid with 97K miles on it when we traded it. If there is a new rig in our future, it will likely be another Winnebago.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

While we think all Winnies are great, the Voyage doesn't sit at "the bottom" of the line. There are, or we should say "were" a couple gas models below and a couple above. The way we like to look at it is our Voyage is in the middle of a very impressive line of MHs.

Like you, we like it!

Boris and Natasha
Old 08-23-2008, 04:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Is there really a bottom and top of a line, or is it just more expensive because of the niceties place within?

My dealer said that the "next one up," from the Destination cost $20K more but he could not see where that $20K was. It would be nice if you could do part-by-part comparison.

I'm just as happy with my Destination as someone who has a million dollar MH. Although I wish I had their money!!!! Your MH, my MH, and the $1M MH will all drive and go to the same CG's and we'll all have just as much fun. And, each one will have their "shake down" problems just like any other.

My Destination is 2 days old, sitting in the driveway, and when I retracted the levelers I noticed hydrolic(sp) oil coming from the front right pump. Appears to be from the vent cap, but I'm going to keep my eyes on it for a few days.

I'm still happy with what I have.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne M:
Is there really a bottom and top of a line, or is it just more expensive because of the niceties place within?

My dealer said that the "next one up," from the Destination cost $20K more but he could not see where that $20K was. It would be nice if you could do part-by-part comparison.

I'm just as happy with my Destination as someone who has a million dollar MH. Although I wish I had their money!!!! Your MH, my MH, and the $1M MH will all drive and go to the same CG's and we'll all have just as much fun. And, each one will have their "shake down" problems just like any other.

My Destination is 2 days old, sitting in the driveway, and when I retracted the levelers I noticed hydrolic(sp) oil coming from the front right pump. Appears to be from the vent cap, but I'm going to keep my eyes on it for a few days.

I'm still happy with what I have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wayne, someone may have just overfilled the reservoir. Always check the fluid level and top-off (if necessary) with the jacks fully retracted and the slides in.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

When Winnebago stopped making the Chieftan the Adventurer moved up to that trim level and the
Voyage moved to the Adventurer trim level I believe. Now Winnebago has stopped the Voyage and put another, sorry can think of the name, at that trim level.

I wonder sometimes why a good thing can't just be left alone. I know it's supposed to be progress and we all want change.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I too believe the my Itasca Suncruiser is a very solid unit. Every Spring when I crawl under it to make sure everything is still in it's place, I am amazed at how well they are built. There are things that are under-built, but you have to consider the weight of building things out of solid wood and I beams

On the case of the hydraulic fluid on the ground, make sure when you check your fluid with the jacks up and slides in, that it just makes it into the operational range when cold, as this fluid does expand when hot, and will make it's way out the vent cap. I learned this myself over time.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Well, perhaps it is just me but I do see a distinct separation in the newer models. For example I noticed at GNR that the 2009 Sunova/Sightseer didn't have any routing on the cabinet doors just sharp square edges. When I looked closer I saw that all the doors are now one piece plywood instead of the cope and stick construction of traditional cabinets. They couldn't rout or round the edges without exposing the plywood laminate. I know this saves some costs and keeps the model price down but it is a definite distinction that sets this model line apart from the higher end.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote