Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Vista input needed

We are considering moving from a small class c (Winnebago View) to a small class A (Winnebago Vista 26/27 foot). If any of you own a smaller Vista, please tell us how you like this motor home. Best Assets and/or biggest disadvantages, if any. Thanks for your input and all information is helpful.
regview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have a 27ft sightseer single slide
The good ,
internal space fine for 2 plus dog
Easy parking almost anywhere
The bad
Handling even with upgrades ,
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2013 vista.he. We had a Solera but it had very little room and my wife has a mobility problem and had problems getting up into the corner bed. We enjoy the room we have in our new MH and I have not had any handling problems plus there is a lot of outside storage. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
poppy bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have had a 2012 Vista 30T for 5 months and we are totally satisified with it. Although it is still new to us, we have put about 1500 miles on it to date. I am experience with doing RV upgrades and modifications. I really like how well this MH is engineered and constructed as I have noticed in doing some mods. The only thing I have yet to do are chassis related. I have a track bar and steering stabilizer about to go on. I dont blame Winnebago for the way Ford equips the chassis. If I were to buy another MH in the future, I would put Winnebago first on my list of considerations.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Should add that mine is a 2002 , think later models handled better
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

regview-check your private messages.

Dave
Shuffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Here is input I made on another post...it's for an Itasca Sunstar Sport, but it is the same as the Winnebago Vista Rally.
-----------------
We bought our motorhome primarily for camping on the beaches. We live in Northern Ca and we have an incredible number of great state beaches to choose from within an hour or two of our house. Because of that, we wanted a smaller rig so we could get into any beach. We also wanted to be self-contained as most state beaches do not have hookups. We have about 4500 miles on her so far, and have visited beaches up the California and Oregon coasts. So far, the Sunstar Sport has worked out perfectly for us.

We love the layout, large storage, and queen bed. So far, it has been very dependable for us and I haven't been back for any repairs. There were two minor recall notices. One to ensure the battery is charged while driving and one to improve the window channels by the front seats. We had both done, but hasn't had an issue with either.

What we have enjoyed is the automatic hydraulic levelers, the large electric awning, large gas tank and water tank, a very comfortable bed (after adding a memory foam mattress topper), linoleum floors, the proven and dependable F53 chassis, easy driving up and down steep grades using the ow/haul feature,, and Winnebago quality and customer service.

We have made few changes, but here's the list:
1) It comes standard with MCD solo shades, but we upgraded to duo shades. We did this through MCD for half the cost. They simply sent us the solar shade only on a duo connector. I then added the night shade to the connector and we got duo shades for the price of solo...I think I paid $440 total to upgrade the three shades. It is really nice to have the solar shade when it is sunny and hot outside.
2) We added a memory foam mattress topper to the standard mattress, and sleep better than we do on our expensive mattress at home....though maybe part of it is being at the beach!
3) Added a puck light to the storage area to better see at night.
4) Added an HDMI cable to the HD tv....for some reason, Winnebago only added a composite (RCA) cable...this is the digital age! It was easy to route the cable from the TV to the storage compartment, but was a little tricky making the connection to the back of the TV with my large hands. Now we can connect our iPad and iPhone to the TV in 1080p quality!...though, actually, we rarely use it at all. :-)
That's it! We have been very happy to use as is, otherwise. I am very happy with the choices Winnebago made for this coach, as there are no options you can add from the factory.

Here a few things we wish we're different, and may upgrade over time, though we may just live with them, too:
1) It would be great to have LED lights since we dry camp so much.
2) Also because we dry camp, it would be great to have more powerful house batteries. The standard ones are OK, though, and I'll keep them a few years.
3) My wife thinks the water pump is too loud, and would prefer one that's quiet.
4) She also complains that it is hard to bake in the oven without burning the bottom, though she is still experimenting. We likes the stove, however.
5) I wish the ride was softer and quieter. I have nothing to compare this too, but my Honda Pilot...maybe all RVs are this way...
6) I get about 8 mpg....would love better mileage, but not possible in the terrain we drive the RV in.

I hope this info is helpful. Best wishes in finding the RV that's just right for you! And let me know if you have any other questions.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Regview, I have a 2011 Vista 35F and I have had more problems with it than with my previous 5 MH put together. The list includes the leveling system, Fresh water system, major electrical problems, slideout leaks, brackets falling off, cabinets look like they were finished by a monkey with a shop rag, basement compartments including the electrical space were never sealed and leaked, missing interior moldings and others. The biggest problem is the dealers shop. It costs me 60 bucks for gas to drive there and then they have it for 2-4 wks and when I got it back it wasn't fixed. I ended up doing a lot of the repairs myself. I also bought it in October and by the time I got it out of winter storage 7 months of the 1 yr warranty were gone. I have had no problems with the Ford F53 chassis and I love the V10. It's a little noisy when it's wound up climbing a hill but has power to spare. It handles OK but I'm still going to do the "cheap handling fix" that you can find in these forums. This is my 4th Winnie and I'm not sure if I would buy another new one. I think it may be better to buy a 3 or 4 yr old used MH. Hopefully the original owner will have it dialed in by the time you buy it. I realize you are looking at a smaller one but the systems are the same and the quality control, or lack of it, is the same. Good Luck with your new MH.
TerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryJ View Post
Regview, I have a 2011 Vista 35F and I have had more problems with it than with my previous 5 MH put together. The list includes the leveling system, Fresh water system, major electrical problems, slideout leaks, brackets falling off, cabinets look like they were finished by a monkey with a shop rag, basement compartments including the electrical space were never sealed and leaked, missing interior moldings and others. The biggest problem is the dealers shop. It costs me 60 bucks for gas to drive there and then they have it for 2-4 wks and when I got it back it wasn't fixed. I ended up doing a lot of the repairs myself. I also bought it in October and by the time I got it out of winter storage 7 months of the 1 yr warranty were gone. I have had no problems with the Ford F53 chassis and I love the V10. It's a little noisy when it's wound up climbing a hill but has power to spare. It handles OK but I'm still going to do the "cheap handling fix" that you can find in these forums. This is my 4th Winnie and I'm not sure if I would buy another new one. I think it may be better to buy a 3 or 4 yr old used MH. Hopefully the original owner will have it dialed in by the time you buy it. I realize you are looking at a smaller one but the systems are the same and the quality control, or lack of it, is the same. Good Luck with your new MH.
We have a 2012 Vista and completed a 5k trip last summer and lived in it all that time. Had a few minor problems but nothing like you experienced and all systems work fine.
We do have the infamous Vienna Coffee finish on the cabinets that will have to be replaced. I understand the company that supplied the material changed the process and it did not work too well....but other than the cabinets we are happy with our Vista
Old 12-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We just traded in our 2009 vista 30b on a 2009 34y journey. We loved the vista used it for 11,000 miles got it new in 2010 march. Tailgating at football games and BBQ competitions and to Orlando. New York. Kentucky very few problem. One jack stuck down got a new one from dealer. Had a delamination area under rear high brake light. Winnebago said they would fix it and went to mcgeorges on i95 in Richmond and came home with the diesel. Much better ride and sooo quiet 3 slides. Much more inside space. We did not know what we were missing. If I had to Do it over again I would still get the vista till You know you want too go up to diesel.
sellhomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Oh we also went every month with our wit group camping for last three years.
sellhomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We bought our 2013 30T this past Sept. 7th,we now have over 9,000 miles currently and should have close to another 3k by the time we get home after the New Year ! GREAT RIG..7.4-8.8 mpg averages keeping rpms at 2000-2200 (65).
We had 1 cabinet door hinge work loose due to bad install,an easy fix..other than that, the coach has performed GREAT. Today I changed the sway-bar bolts to the rear hole location (front and rear) NO more excessive rolling or leaning in corners...the coach is a real pleasure to drive,heading back to Md.after 2 mo. in California for the Holidays. My wife and I are duly impressed with the build quality,and would buy another in a HEARTBEAT!...safe travels,Tom and Eileen and Sandy
tomrx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

regview,
We had '07 Vista before upgrading to a Voyage. Loved the Vista. Previous owner had installed Steer Safe and it was wonderful. Everything positive on our experience.

Phil
Old 01-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2011 35F and have found it to be an excellent unit. We had two problems that had to be repaired at the dealership, a torn slide topper and a cracked patio light, both of which were most likely damaged at the dealership before we purchased it. Other than that, it's been great, we tow so only get 6.5 mpg at 65 mph. Have had no quality problems to date, wintered in it last year for 3 months and are leaving again on Tuesday for a 3 months Florida trip. Really like having the bath and a half, after having it would never go the one bath route again. We were looking at 30 footers when we came across the 35 and are glad we went with the larger unit, it's very comfortable for extended stays and handles very well. I have no intention of do anything with the chassis, it's handles well just the way it is.

Nick
hudson is offline   Reply With Quote