Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vista Creaky/Squeaky Windows

Just took delivery of a new Vista. On the drive home (about 60 miles) we noticed a lot of noise coming from around the driver and passenger windows. It almost sounds as if there is some flexing going on when going over bumps. Has anyone else experienced this and , if so, any advice?
Thanks,
haiduan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

That is an issue I've been dealing with in ours. The windows and latches sometimes don't set properly and an open/close/re-latch works. And sometimes they make noise in certain wind conditions and not much to do about that. Basically I am not that impressed with the quality of the windows in the coach.
That said, we sure did enjoy our 9,000 mile 3 month cross country trip in it this summer!
Old 09-06-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have the same problem in our 2013 Sunstar 26HE. Like above, try to open,close, and relatch.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

It is an on going issue and Wbgo does not seem to want to address the production/installation process. My problem was fixed at a factory service visit. I would expect that dealers are able to perform the fix too. Mine is much better now. The problem is window frame contacting the surrounding surfaces and the Styrofoam wallboard. Seems that ours got quieter with miles too. Our windows have the upper transom fixed glass which might add some rigidness.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

ghutch - Do you know what the factory did on your windows? I've thought about tightening the screws on the frame. I have removed windows on a prior coach and understand how they are installed - basically a sandwich with the wall in the middle. Seems like tightening the screws might help.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I found that most of our noise came from loose fitting screens. I put some of the black trim that you put on the edge of your car door around the edge of the screens and that tightened the screens up and reduce the rattle and squeaking. Sometimes anything you can do to make things fit tighter seems to help.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Our windows also are quite noisy. I noticed that if I pushed on the interior wall near the inner window retaining ring, I could generate a squeak. I removed the retaining ring and applied electrical tape to seperate the ring from the sidewall. I could no longer generate a squeak by pushing on the sidewall. The real test will have to wait till next Monday when we head for Tennessee.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Andy, I only know that they did not remove the entire window assembly. The inner trim was removed though. They caulked the weep hole cover in place with the black roof edge sealant. That helped with the wind noise in that area a lot. The weep holes still are open.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Try silicone plumbers grease not caulk

I had the same noise. I took off the inner retaining ring then coated the inside of the ring with silicone plumbers grease. After re-installing the retaining ring I've completely forgotten about the noise until I read this post.

Hope this helps!

Laplatarosa
laplatarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:22 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Andy, as mentioned by WBandJ above, the electrical tape will fix your squeaking problem. I've been doing this on customer's windows for a couple of years now. Here is a previous thread on this very same issue: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/crea...ws-213880.html
Old 09-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

WBandJ - Winnebago customer service confirms your fix. Since they obviously know about the squeaky windows, it sure would be nice if the factory would apply the fix in the first place. Here's their response to me:

Andrew,
This is something that could be taken care of by your dealer but if you are so inclined to try and fix it yourself it is a fairly simple fix. Let me start by telling you the way that these windows are held into the coach. The outside frame with the glass is installed with a sealant on it and pressed into place from the outside. The inside trim basically just holds it into place and helps to smash the outside sealant tightly to obtain a good seal. If you take the inside trim down, don’t be afraid the window won’t fall out, take some black electrical tape and go around the inside of the inside frame. This will fit between the frame and the inside of the wall and should alleviate the noise.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us at 800-537-1885.

Bill Crawford
Service Advisor
Winnebago Industries
Old 09-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

After 300 miles today, we are pleased that the squeaks are now gone.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:51 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

My squeaks also appear gone. I applied the electrical tape to the passenger window, but just tightened the screws on the driver's side. Neither squeaked! I suggest trying to tighten the screws first. If that doesn't work, then do the electrical tape. It's a lot easier just tightening the screws.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Most of the problem areas and cures seem to be listed except for the weep holes along the bottom of the windows. I'm told that without the covers, there can be a whistling noise from the wind while driving.

My rig came with large covers which at least one departed on most trips. I replaced them with covers slightly larger than the weep holes. These have stayed for over 1,000 miles and the wife doesn't hear the whistling noise.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

So glad to see this post. We've had this same problem with the passenger side window on our 2011 Vista since we bought it. Dealer tried to fix it - but I'm sure didn't remove inside trim - so it was better but would still squeak, especially with the window latch fully engaged. I could position the latch at about the halfway point, and the noise would decrease or stop, but the latch would eventually move and the squeak would return. I'm going to tell DH about this thread and see if we can eliminate that annoyance once and for all.

Just love this website.

Tags
window