Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vista 35F tire tool and jack

Anyone with a Vista 35F know where the jack and tire tools are? I found the spare but there is nothing mentioned in any of the books about a jack or tire iron.

Thanks

Nick
2011 Winnebago Vista 35F
hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Don't know location but for $99 a year, GoodSam ERS or Coachnet will come out and change it.

Dialing the cell phone is much easier. Then you can sit back and watch.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson View Post
Anyone with a Vista 35F know where the jack and tire tools are? I found the spare but there is nothing mentioned in any of the books about a jack or tire iron.

Thanks

Nick
2011 Winnebago Vista 35F
All the tools I need are in my pocket. My cell phone w/ERS number. If those aren't enuf, the Guy on the wrecker has the necessary stuff.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I don't think you will have a supplied jack or tire irons. You may have a T handled tool to remove the fake lug nuts. But no lug wrench. I use the stabilizer jacks to raise the coach but let the wrecker or tire folks do the changing. I do carry a torque wrench and in case I had to I could remove the lug nuts with it. Mine are torque to 450 foot pounds yours may be the same or less.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I don't doubt that I would call roadside assistance as long as I was in an area that my phone worked. There are areas that I go into that never had cell service and most likely never will and I do spend a lot of time up there in the late summer and fall. It just seems odd to include a spare tire but not the tools required to change a flat. I'll call Winnebago tomorrow and confirm whether there is or is not a jack and tire iron.

Nick
Old 01-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I talked with Winnebago this morning and he told me that the Vista 35F comes with a spare tire, lug wrench and extention bar but no jack. They recommend a 5 ton bottle jack if I plan on carrying one. I think I'll carry the jack. I've had two flat tires on Class A's before, both of them were in Macon Georgia late at night and both times I changed them and the spare got me home. I was a tad younger then but I can still give it a try if I can't get road service maybe with the help of a good samaritan.

Nick
2011 Vista 35F
Old 01-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I would go ahead and opt for a 6 or 8 ton jack to make it easier if you have to jack it up. Also carry some "lumber" to place under the jack for soft soil.

Ken
Old 01-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Hudson,
I too am willing to change my own tires but, with this new to us Itasca Horizon D/P with the 330 CAT, not only do we not carry a spare tire but, those lugs are seriously tight. So, it's more than likely a phone call to the rescue service of some type. Now, a bit of advice here, I already had a "5" ton bottle jack so, I put it under the coach and, one, it was too tall to fit under the axle and, when I finally found a place to put it, that jack was taxed seriously.

So, I broke out the 20 ton bottle jack I had. It too was too tall would not only not fit but, if one of those tires was flat, it REALLY wouldn't fit. So, I found out Harbor Freight had a sale (imagine that) on a 20 ton "Low Profile" bottle jack for $39.00. It works absolutely flawless. And, it's considerably lighter than the taller one I already had. I haven't had to use it just yet but, if I need to, at least I know it will work even it it helps with speeding up the process of getting the rig back on the road. Here's the one I bought:

20 Ton Low Profile Jack - Harbor Freight Tools

Hope this helps some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Being as how it's from Harbor Freight and probably made in China, I think I would give it a test run first, leave it jacked up and tire off the pavement for a couple of hours.
Would be nasty to need it and have it blow the seals.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Larry,
Thanks for the concern. I did just that when I first purchased the jack. I jacked it up and let it sit for quite a while and took measurements. It didn't drop at all. In fact, I did it several times. I'm satisfied with the quality.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote