Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 07:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vista 35F questions

DW and I like the rear-bath floorplan of the 35F.

Questions;

Looks like a long rear overhang, is there much of the 'tail wagging the dog' with this chassis?

Overall how do owners like the floorplan?

Any issues specific to the 35F to look for if buying used?

Thank you for your insights.
DLoy1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Bought our 2012 35F used (in 2014). Love the floor plan. Actually, love that the previous owner put two recliners and a table between, taking out the L-couch. Dogs on floor (usually), wife and I in the chairs. Believer in the 1-1/2 bath now that we've used it.

Drivability - w/o toad - no issue, w/toad (Jeep TJ // Chev Sonic) no issue either, except the w/Sonic it needs a 11" drop receiver to get close to a level hookup.

Bought the 5Star tune this spring; oh, what a difference in shifting, can use the cruise control now…

Chasing a couple electrical gremlins. But who doesn't have a few 'challenges'…

I'd say 9 of 10 overall.

Tom
tsut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsut View Post
Bought our 2012 35F used (in 2014). Love the floor plan. Actually, love that the previous owner put two recliners and a table between, taking out the L-couch. Dogs on floor (usually), wife and I in the chairs. Believer in the 1-1/2 bath now that we've used it.

Drivability - w/o toad - no issue, w/toad (Jeep TJ // Chev Sonic) no issue either, except the w/Sonic it needs a 11" drop receiver to get close to a level hookup.

Bought the 5Star tune this spring; oh, what a difference in shifting, can use the cruise control now…

Chasing a couple electrical gremlins. But who doesn't have a few 'challenges'…

I'd say 9 of 10 overall.

Tom

Can you explain the 5star tune? I have heard others mention it? What's involved and what can you expect ?
Larry Mac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

35F

Hi - We have a 2014 35F and love it. This is our first MH, so we really aren't able to provide much of a comparative commentary. The rear bath with a full size shower is awesome. I installed a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer which made a great handling improvement. Also bought a Roadmaster rear sway-bar, but haven't had it installed yet. It reportedly is 50% stronger to address any body roll, but based upon our trip history thus far, I am doing pretty well without it. Other 35f owners with more general MH experience may have better insight to offer. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
mblake101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac01 View Post
Can you explain the 5star tune? I have heard others mention it? What's involved and what can you expect ?
Many others can and have within this forum. See, for example:
(search on "5 Star" in the iRV search box at top of the page)

or the vendor site (an iRV forum sponsor, I think) at Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services - 5 Star Tuning

Or, a VERY popular post from them:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f256/5-st...uy-244384.html

Oh, and my handling, without any 'adds' is fine; wife says its better than our prior 2000 vintage 35' F53 chassis.

Tom
tsut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:11 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Love the floor plan, would have liked a table and chair setup but that's OK, needed the extra storage anyway.
I added a Roadmaster Rear Sway bar and front Reflex Steering Stabilizer. Yes I could feel the difference, but I think the biggest upgrade was the Centramatic Wheel Balancers, It really smoothed out the ride along with the suspension upgrades.
The 5Star engine tune is a must and well worth the money, night and day difference in drivability.
The 2016 and newer models have an 6 speed tranny which is different but I have heard the 5Star tune is great for them also.
You will find that the dash lighting needs work in all of the gassers, there is a quick and easy fix to help see the dash better during the day time.
Also on this model the forward black tank will tank some getting use to. It takes a long time to get it pumped out so just relax while you are doing it. Make sure you do it first, trust me. I added a remote valve control so I don't have to go around and open that compartment and then the valve every time and then remember to shut it after I am done.
Once you go 1 1/2 bath you won't go back, you will really like this floor plan. Too bad Winnebago doesn't offer it in one of the higher class models or even in a DP
Old 08-29-2016, 07:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The half bath's black tank uses a macerator pump. When totally full, all 21 gallons, it takes at most about three minutes for the pump to completely empty the tank. It takes almost as long to walk around and open the dump valve at the tank as it does to dump. Sure it takes longer than does the much larger rear black tank with its conventional dumping. Think of it as an opportunity to spend a couple of extra minutes outside enjoying nature.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:23 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgpo View Post
The half bath's black tank uses a macerator pump. When totally full, all 21 gallons, it takes at most about three minutes for the pump to completely empty the tank. It takes almost as long to walk around and open the dump valve at the tank as it does to dump. Sure it takes longer than does the much larger rear black tank with its conventional dumping. Think of it as an opportunity to spend a couple of extra minutes outside enjoying nature.
If yours only takes 3 minutes to empty then mine has been FUBAR from day one. It takes about 20 minutes to get it empty and from what I've heard from others theirs take a long time also. I guess I'll have to investigate it further to see why
Old 08-30-2016, 07:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hey SuperGewl - I followed your recommendations in getting my 1/2 bath black line unstopped from the previous owners use and it all works great now. Thx much!!!!!! I will be certain to keep a few gallons fresh water in black tanks from now on.
mblake101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblake101 View Post
Hey SuperGewl - I followed your recommendations in getting my 1/2 bath black line unstopped from the previous owners use and it all works great now. Thx much!!!!!! I will be certain to keep a few gallons fresh water in black tanks from now on.
Cool glad I could help.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:12 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

As I said, I first open the dump valve at the 1/2 bath's dump tank then open the master dump on the other side of the coach, press the macerator's power button and listen for the pump to change sound once the tank is empty. From full to empty takes about three minutes, maybe four. I then close the master valve then go around and close the tank valve. Do you keep the tank valve open all the time?
I know the tank is empty because 1) I shine a flashlight into the tank. 2) I use Bio Pack packets (I call 'em "Toilet Mints") and they make a thud when dropped into the empty tank.
I am meticulous about the sanitation system (actually all systems) in our 35F and have never had an issue with the waste system.
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Hello, al! We have the 2014 Winnebago Vista 35F - love the half bath and really love the big shower. Don't have any extra handling stuff on the motor and get 6-8 MPH depending on drivers and speed. We spend 3-4 months time in ours over a yearly period and have to allow 20 minutes to get the mascerator to run before we can dump the 12 bath black tank. I am interested in those of you who can run it only 3 minutes - WOW - how would we check to see if our line is stopped up? We have been very careful with this bath and always use the pods and extra water and special TP.....BUT Camping World used it for a display at some shows so who knows what they put in the 1/2 bath....let me know how I would see about the stop up in the line. Thanks and regards to all of you out there in RV land! Happy Trails to You.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We got a 2016 35F, and absolutely LOVE it. The quality is WAY better than our previous Thor Serrano. So far, the only real issue we've had is one of the outside compartment doors was installed upside down, so the runnoff holes were on top, causing the compartment to get a little wet. For now, taped the holes, and we'll get it look at through warranty stuff in a month.
bodycoach2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:11 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVGirl View Post
Hello, al! We have the 2014 Winnebago Vista 35F - love the half bath and really love the big shower. Don't have any extra handling stuff on the motor and get 6-8 MPH depending on drivers and speed. We spend 3-4 months time in ours over a yearly period and have to allow 20 minutes to get the mascerator to run before we can dump the 12 bath black tank. I am interested in those of you who can run it only 3 minutes - WOW - how would we check to see if our line is stopped up? We have been very careful with this bath and always use the pods and extra water and special TP.....BUT Camping World used it for a display at some shows so who knows what they put in the 1/2 bath....let me know how I would see about the stop up in the line. Thanks and regards to all of you out there in RV land! Happy Trails to You.
I find all these comments about taking 20 minutes to dump the half bath to be amazing. My first question would be do you leave the dump valve at the dump end of the pump open or closed? Remember, this tank has two valves, at least our 2013 Sunstar 35F does. If the valve is left open isn't there the possibility that crud could form in the small hose from the tank to the main dump valve? Don't know, just conjecture. Also, we use the top of the line Cottonelle t.p. and have since Day 1. If you follow the dumping instructions, use lots of water to flush and a good toilet "mint" there should be no issues. At least we have had none. Also, when you store your RV after the season you should be sure the tanks are empty except for water in the bowl to keep the seals lubricated.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:27 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVGirl View Post
SAVGirl, I'm with you. I don't see how artgpro gets it done in 3 minutes either. I am going to snake my line from the pump to the dump just for the heck of it and see if that makes a difference. I will keep you posted when I do it. Hopefully next week.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

The Sunstar is in storage. I wish I had not dumped the tanks or I would do a real time video of the half tank dump. You do open both dump valves then press and hold the macerator power switch until you hear the pump change sound indicating the tank is empty?
Old 10-02-2016, 07:17 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Ok. This weekend we had our 35F hooked up at a campground. Three times I filled both black tanks to capacity. I used my watch to time the amount of time it took to dump the macerator equipped 1/2 bath tank. All three times it took exactly the same time, within a second or two, to dump. All three times it was exactly two minutes. It has been this way for the almost four years we have owned the coach.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgpo View Post
Ok. This weekend we had our 35F hooked up at a campground. Three times I filled both black tanks to capacity. I used my watch to time the amount of time it took to dump the macerator equipped 1/2 bath tank. All three times it took exactly the same time, within a second or two, to dump. All three times it was exactly two minutes. It has been this way for the almost four years we have owned the coach.
We tried the macerator dump process we got from this thread and lo and behold, it was quicker - hubby is grateful for comments of those on this thread - makes life easier for the dumping process! Thanks so much!
Happy Trails to you.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:29 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

We have owned our 2016 35F for two months now and love it.
I agree with others in that dumping our front black tank takes at most about two minutes before you hear the pump run empty.
We will be considering suspension upgrades because she does get blown around a lot by passing trucks.
After having the bath and a half, I don't think we could go back to a single bathroom.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:10 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by partskenn View Post
We have owned our 2016 35F for two months now and love it.
I agree with others in that dumping our front black tank takes at most about two minutes before you hear the pump run empty.
We will be considering suspension upgrades because she does get blown around a lot by passing trucks.
After having the bath and a half, I don't think we could go back to a single bathroom.
I'm glad (NOT) to hear everyone else has it soooooo easy when pumping their forward tank. I guess mine just isn't that good and must be screwed up.