Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vista 35F Owners

Are there any other 2011 Vista 35F owners out there. I would like to compare notes and share info with you.
TerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Here!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

OK TerryJ and lost1 --Don't be bashful--how do you like the floor plan and other features of the 35F?
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Vista 35F

Thanks for the replies. I love the floor plan, especially the half bath, but after owning 4 Winnebago MH, I think the build quality on this one is the worst I've seen. Screws are loose, missing or stripped, I had problems with the rear/side camera system, the entrance door was sprung and wouldn't close without a hard push, The AC units suck and don't cool well when outside temps are above 85 degrees, the chassis battery keeps going dead even after a 400mi run, the water lines behind the shower walls came loose and kept banging on the fiberglass and the dealer so far since May has had it about 24 days in total. I've got 7000 mi on it and am ready to get rid of it. Have you folks had any problems like this or is it just me? I'm getting really frustrated. Winnebago Cust Service told me that they have had absolutely no warranty claims on this model to date so that leads me to believe that the dealer isn't reporting these problems. I've been waiting 12 days for parts to fix the door and missed two nice WIT Club outings. Like I first said I love the layout. It's very user friendly and comfortable for the 2 of us and once in a while some grandkids. I put a sewage grinder pump in and that makes life easier. This particular coach has every option on it that is available but,again,I wish the quality of the build was better. I guess we'll see what happens on down the road.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Jeez, I'm almost ashamed to report no, I mean zero, problems that would require dealer service so far. We loved the layout, but hated the couch as a sleeper, so the dealer swapped it out for an electric extender from a Winnie Journey (same color) that was on their lot. It is centered in the slide and I built end cabinets/tables for it. We have swapped the dinette table for one I built that has two fold-up leaves. The raised slide probably makes full use of the table impractical but the leaf on the open side gives us a lot more space. I also have some camera drama with the system being in reverse video and the outside audio going on/off whimsically. It appears to be a control/settings glitch and I have some of it solved. Need to play some more there. The documentation was obviously translated freely from mandarin or written by an idiot. No battery (installed trik-l-start) or AC problems. Plumbing is OK but I don't care for how the half-bath black tank dumps. We believe the secret might be to start with lots more water than normal. Still experimenting there. Might put on a tank flush. My build quality is excellent - no loose trim, misaligned screws, mangled drawers etc. Not too pleased with the driver/pax cab fans. They don't adjust and don't seem to push much air for all their noise. Might replace them. A design flaw is the heater vent in the floor of half bath. It is plastic and right where one foot has got to be if you are at sink/mirror. Plastic has flex, more when warmed by heat air and this causes the sliding cutoff inside the grill to loosen and fall into the vent. Easy enough to fix but over and over. Real irritating. I have got to find a way to fix that one. Lastly I am having the drama with the kwikee slide lock sticking that impacts every coach that has these locks. I have performed both field fixes recommended by the manufacturer. Problem was not solved after first fix and we'll see how that goes. I think Winnebago chose a product with basically poor engineering and a sump in the slide roof is not a real practical step either. Locks are better at the end/side of a slide room and I think those lock models are better engineered. A sensible solution is probably to get rid of the poorly engineered lock, fill the hole in the slide roof, and make a brace/lock for both ends of the slide room. That might happen sooner than later if I get real irritated. I have also installed an Ultra-guard to keep road debris off the CRV that follows us around. Time for a deep breath.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

lowes and home depot sell metal register floor vent covers in many different sizes. they come without mounting holes.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

lost1, I am going to install a tank rinser this week. I put one in the main tank when I got this unit and should have done both at the same time. I'm glad your Vista is not giving you any problems. Mine must have been built on a Friday or Monday. I called Winnebago Customer Service and was told that they are having trouble with the A/C because our know it all Govt. has changed the type of refrigerant that must be used in the rooftop units. That has caused them to be much less efficient than ones used before 2010. There were times this summer that it never got below 85 degrees inside and at times was 90+ with both A/C units running constantly all day on a 50 amp service. It really made for a miserable trip. I had to changeout my heater vents in my last MH (2007 Sightseer). I actually stepped thru one and finally went to metal vents which I got at Home Depot like DanL just suggested.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the tip. I'll likely get a vent cover or two from Home Depot. I wonder about your AC units. We were on a lake shore camp site, near zero shade most of day, in south GA. and the AC cooled fine with mid-90's. Agree it was not a fast cool down but both units blew cold, steady, and eventually threatened to drive us into the heat. Light bulbs, refrigerant, pick something - our uncle sam always knows whats best, just ask!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

That is one of the problems with my AC. It never shuts off during the day but when the sun goes down it almost manages to hold its own. The AC is bad enough but the whole package is just unbelieveable. This afternoon I opened a couple of storage compartments and the rubber gasket around the opening just started to fall off. Seems like the adhesive wasn't very good. I guess I'm going to fix that myself but this isn't what I bought a new motorhome for. We're going to Fla for 4 months this winter and I'm almost afraid to take this MH. Keep you eye on the storage compartments if you drive thru a heavy rain. I had water in three of mine and had to use a 100% silicone caulk on all the seams and then I sprayed a commercial rubber undercoating over that. They dont leak now but I still haven't gotten the musty smell out of them.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Just back from a week on GA barrier island - Jekyll - temp in the mid to high 90"s, humidity 80% or better each day. AC (both) performed flawlessly. Blaming govt mandated coolant sounds fishy to me - a technique to get you off the phone and hope a year will pass. My compartment seams look good. Sealant oozed out all around seams when fastened together. Plenty of seal there. My gaskets stick to the compartment doors inside when not opened often but show no signs of loosening from the frame. Which tank flush did you install on the 1/2 bath tank?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I'm glad that everything worked for you. I don't suppose I could talk you into a trade, could I? I spoke to Winnebago Cust Service yesterday and they told me that as long as the AC problem was on record before my warranty expired that they would take care of it. I sure hope that that's not smoke they're blowing. My compartments had a lot of sealant squeezed out also and I thought that the doors were leaking but once the seams were sealed the leaks stopped.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I am going to reseal all the compartment seams. I have some unused sealant that is going to go bad if I don't apply it anyway.
Which tank flush did you install on the 1/2 bath tank? There is not much clearance beteen the closed compartment door and side of tank.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I think it's a good idea to seal the compartments if you have the time and energy. It might prevent some problems down the road. I still haven't put a rinser on the front tank because of the problem of clearance. My dealer said if you don't put them in the middle, especially vertically, they won't work well. He had 5 different kinds and I didn't think any would work. If I find somethin I will let you know. I've been think about making one but I have to do a little research first.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I have sealed, Back hurts, wrist is sore, but sealed. A good flush of the front tank seems to depend on lots of liquid so that the pump over system is effective. Very rare to be at a dump station where incline helps tank drain. Don't need rinse power as much as a way to get water into tank to facilitate pump out. Mostly end up finishing up at home with the bucket system.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I know what you mean about being sore. I walked around bent over for the rest of the day. I put a grinder pump on the main tank and just hook up the water hose and run as much water as I need into the front tank. I use a 3/4" ID water hose from the pump to the city line cleanout and then pump merrily away. There is a clear elbow in the setup so I can see when all is running clear. It was well worth the $300. and now I don't have to worry about dumping before I get home.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Yep, just bought a 2011 35F in May, brand new off the lot. Don't have any problems with the A/C and have had many 90+ degree days. Have had several other problems though. The levelors stopped working after our second week, the inverter doesn't work, the transfer switch on the generator doesn't work so can't do any trips that don't have hookups. The problems started when we found water in the front driver's side basement compartment that holds the breakers and relays. Don't know how long the water was there but all the connectors are corroded and one of the wires fell off in our hands when we were looking at damage (don't know what it goes to). Have left it with the dealer three times up to three weeks total and they can't find the problems. Also get a bad vibration like the tires are out of balance so taking it to Ford for a road force balance. Winnebago will only cover part of the cost, the rest will be out of pocket. Not what I expected when buying a new MH. Having said all that love the layout and very happy with the interior quality. This is our first RV and love the travelling but right now afraid to go anywhere with it since we have a host of electrical issues. Kind of spoiling the fun.
mpasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

After searching high and low for a Vista/Sunstar 2007 forward group, one was just started in Yahoo. For Vista-specific info to supplement this excellent community, join us at: 2007-forward-Vista-Sunstar : Vista-Sunstar 2007 & up

We're 11 members and going strong (:

Guido
2011 Vista 26p
11595gulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Just wondering, what owner's manuals did you 35F owners receive with your purchase? I got the little black Winnie carrycase and it contained the thick owner's manual and supplemental manual. Didn't receive manuals for the generator, levelers, inverter, refrigerator, etc. They're all different manufacturers so would have thought I should have gotten those as well. Just wondering if they should have been standard issue. Also does anyone know how to get to the drain hose for the refrigerator? I've been having problems with excessive icing in the freezer. The dealer replaced the gasket but still having problems. Have had to clean out all the standing water after it defrosts and thinking I need to check the drain hose to make sure it isn't blocked.
mpasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Access frig drain hose from outside, remove panel by twisting plastic clips (use quarter).
Drain hose is white, end rests in black plastic cup from which drained liquid is supposed to evaporate. I don't think the drainage system is adequate for the amount of liquid from a freezer defrost. My boss uses towel or two defrosting after trip. There may be some units that drain effectively but this is my fifth RV and only rarely has worked. I am also suspicious of the "cup evaporate" method. Many folk bring the frig drain hose out thru the plastic cover grill so it drips to the ground. I have glued screen inside my cover to discourage wasps and other devils and am trusting the cup.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

mpasso,

The Supplemental manual should have all the appliances, radio, TV, etc in it. The owners manual is for all the coaches (your model), Supplemental is specific to your rig.