Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
Let's kill some bugs!

Vista 32YE TV removal

Has anyone taken the living room TV down from the original mount that Winnebago uses? I can't seem to find the secret to removal. All I can see is a bunch of screws near the top that appear to be impossible to remove behind the TV, because the TV is blocking them. I haven't taking off the little trim pieces yet, but even removing the trim, it still appears like there's no way to take out those wood screws that hold TV bracket to the wall. There must be a way though.

Since there is another 4" room for depth available (before it interferes with the living-room slide), I would like to install another VESA mount that's articulating, allowing me to easily plug other HDMI cables into the extra ports, and angle the TV toward the dinette when I'm doing video editing on my laptop. I may even upgrade that TV to 4K since my video editing consists of 4K drone footage. I could even buy a thinner and lighter 4K TV to augment the new VESA mount.

If anyone has tips on the stock Insignia TV removal, I would appreciate any help before I dive into this project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Insignia TV 32YE.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	171323  
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a note to [email protected] with your VIN and WGO id #, and ask them. Or contact a dealer and ask them. I think they install them, because they don't usually come with the TV mounted on the wall, to prevent theft while in transit.

It probably lifts off the backing mount, once the trim pieces are removed. I did it with my Sunstar 2 years ago but can't recall exactly how. Sorry.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:35 PM   #3
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Send a note to [email protected] with your VIN and WGO id #, and ask them. Or contact a dealer and ask them. I think they install them, because they don't usually come with the TV mounted on the wall, to prevent theft while in transit.

It probably lifts off the backing mount, once the trim pieces are removed. I did it with my Sunstar 2 years ago but can't recall exactly how. Sorry.
Yeah, I thought it would life off too, but it's really solid when I lifted it. It wouldn't even touch the trim at the top. I thought if I lifted any harder I might break it. I gave it a pretty good tug, but no joy. Yes, I'll email Winnebago if nobody else chimes in with the trick to remove it.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:40 AM   #4
Site Team

Is it like a residential TV mount? Some of those have a set of latches on the bottom that you pull to release the bottom of the TV then while pulling out you lift it up off the mount.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #5
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
Is it like a residential TV mount? Some of those have a set of latches on the bottom that you pull to release the bottom of the TV then while pulling out you lift it up off the mount.
Yeah, the outdoor TV mount has a release latch, but can't find anything like that on the livingroom TV.

I hope someone else had "been there done that" before, maybe I'll save some investigative time, and lower my risk of breaking something.

I've gotta email Winnebago I guess, or call them. Nicholas has been very helpful in the past.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Please let us know what you find out. Seems like something that all of us will eventually need to know.

Thanks
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:53 AM   #7
Site Team

You can't see behind the TV with a flashlight to see how it's attached?

You can get a look at the attachment usually on the interactive parts list. You must use Windows and Internet Explorer and you must down load a helper app that will automatically download and install. But you should be able to find the TV in the parts list and using the 3D features spin around and behind the TV in the diagram. Go to www.winnebagoind.com and click on Resources. You'll drill down to the various diagrams and can "look around" the RV and see how things are attached.

A word to the wise here. I don't know anything about how your TV is installed. But I wanted to remove the TV in the Bedroom of my Adventurer. I was sure it was like all other TV mountings and would lift off. But nope. It was mounted to a large metal plate that was firmly bolted in place. With a lot of peering under the edges I figured out how to find the bolts (they were below in the top of a draw opening). Winnebago had made this large black metal piece almost the size of the TV and the TV was bolted directly to the metal mounting. And that was the piece that was through bolted at the bottom into the drawer.

From the look of yours I'm sure it's not the same - I'm not saying that - I'm just saying that it won't necessarily be the typical lift off type of mounting.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:16 AM   #8
Site Team

I looked at the parts list and it's not exactly clear. I've attached a screen shot of the area behind the TV.

Is there by any chance a cabinet on the wall behind the TV in the bathroom? If so I'd look in there for access to behind the TV. It also looks like there is some space between the Bathroom and the TV wall.

Here's the screen shot - it's not super helpful, but its a start:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 8.12.14 AM.png
Views:	131
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	171339  
Old 04-02-2019, 07:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Here's a shot of the TV mount for our 2018 Sunstar 32YE TV mount. Looks like that bottom bracket may be the way to do it. Possibly remove the screws on that bracket then the TV should drop,,, maybe..??..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV Bracket.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	171340  
Old 04-02-2019, 08:08 AM   #10
Site Team

Here's the whole installation. A screen shot and the PDF file (both attached and linked). Looks like there is a big metal bracket that the TV is screwed down to.

https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2018/000131235.pdf
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 9.07.15 AM.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	171342  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 000131235.pdf (570.7 KB, 128 views)
Old 04-02-2019, 11:09 PM   #11
Let's kill some bugs!

Thanks guys. I did inspect the metal bracket last weekend with a flashlight without removing the surrounding trim pieces, which don't cover much. It is bolted to a big custom metal bracket. On the other side of the wall is a mirror in the bathroom, no way to remove that either, but I don't think that would help because the big metal bracket is screwed to studs from the living-room side. The issue is the screws are behind the TV with no access to remove them, as it appears. Logic would say the TV snaps off somehow, but I don't think that's the case due to how solid the TV feels to the wall. It's very solid, not like a normal locking TV VESA mount that I'd like to use. I hope to work on it this weekend, removing the trim pieces for a closer look, and a ladder so I can get a better gander from the top looking down at the top screws. Maybe I'll discover something. But I'm calling Winnebago this week before I start. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for the drawings.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:15 AM   #12
Site Team

It might be a job for one of these. I never owned a set like this before buying an RV.

https://www.amazon.com/MulWark-Profi...gateway&sr=8-3
Old 04-03-2019, 07:10 AM   #13
Site Team

The power and coax connections are behind the TV. It appears there is a space near the bottom of the TV for those. But based on my experience with my bedroom TV the whole thing is likely screwed down to the large metal plate which is bolted or screwed to the wall.

Winnebago likes to make their own parts rather than purchase something standard like a VESA mount. Hence TVs hard bolted to large steel brackets. Not very smart in this case.

After I figured out how to remove my bedroom TV I mounted one of the V shaped TV mounts to the metal bracket and then to the back of the TV. Now that TV can be lifted off the wall when needed without taking everything apart.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #14
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
It might be a job for one of these. I never owned a set like this before buying an RV.

https://www.amazon.com/MulWark-Profi...gateway&sr=8-3
Yes, you may be right. I have one of these somewhere in my vast tool set somewhere. I was thinking that Winnebago wouldn't design something that hard to install and remove, but I may be wrong. The top screws look accessible with this kind of a tool, there are about 6 screws across the top. However the bottom screws I haven't been able to see, well hidden. Maybe the bracket will simply lift out when those top 6 screws are removed.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Locke View Post
Maybe the bracket will simply lift out when those top 6 screws are removed.
Looking at the image in Post #9 it is a reasonable assumption. Especially in light of the removable trim pieces at the top and left side.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

In my 2016 Vista 26he the TV is removed by taking out the 5 screws along the top of the bracket. Then lift at the bottom while tilting the top away from the wall. Insignia 32". Kind of a pain but not too bad. Getting it lined up and back in is a little harder.

Terry
Dentkimterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Can't help with the removal but I am a fan of HDMI myself and I decided to use a 4-to-1 HDMI switcher.

Found a switcher at Amazon, has a small case, a tiny remote, even features PIP. For under $25. My TV has multiple HDMI inputs but it was just much easier to add the switcher so I only have one cable going to the TV and can remotely switch between sources. I added an HDMI cable from the switch back to my computer station (25 feet or so) on one side of the RV, and another HDMI cable down to the small LR table behind the passengers chair. And I can run a separate HDMI cable from my Android easily enough. I can PIP 4 programs and switch between them without having to move anything other than my thumb. Plus I can switch the TV between sources like satellite and antenna too.

Fun!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:50 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

OK, I had to speak with Winnebago about a problem that I am having with the HDMI distribution on my Vista 32YE. In the process of walking through the symptoms with Nicholas, he explained how to remove the lounge TV. Just as suspected, remove the 5 screws on the top bracket and then lift the TV off. Sounds like what they call a french hinge. During the discussion, I also discovered that the HDMI splitter boxes are located behind a panel behind the bedroom sliding door.

Mike
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

You need to remove the top wood shelf. Standing on something so you can look at the top of the tv, there is a metal plate with two screws. The tv is mounted to the metal plate. Remove the top screws and tip the tv forward and up. You should be holding it now.

You will need a long blade screw driver. Screws are probably at a downward angle.

I asked this question a while back and someone sent me a drawing. I can’t find right now but will look further. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Living Room TV removal in 2017 Vista 32 Google this on iRV2.com. The drawing shows the mounting plate. There are 6 screws instead of two.

Tags
removal