Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Vista 30T Rear TV problem

Our 2012 Vista 30T came prewired for a rear TV and satellite dish. The previous owner had the dish installed-a Winegard Roadtrip Minimax. The front TV works fine with either the Dish Wally receiver or the VIP211Z that we have. They did not install a rear TV but we have. We do get reception from the OTA antenna and have had park cable to it through the antenna plate in the rear.

The manual for the satellite dish says it will run a secondary receiver. That receiver can't toggle between sattellites but can receive the channels on the satellite that the front receiver is logged into.

My problem is there doesn't seem to be an active connection to the rear for the dish. I have checked the wall plate and the dish antenna and both have coax connected. The dish is to the secondary receiver and the wall plate in the rear says from roof satellite.

a Not sure if I am missing a switch somewhere or have a bad coax. Does anyone have an easy way to check the cable? I have multi meter that will check voltage, amps and I believe resistance but not sure if that will be of any help. We do not have a factory VCR sand have no obvious control center to switch to various TV's or sources. Any help would be appreciated
Old 12-19-2016, 04:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerjump View Post
Our 2012 Vista 30T came prewired for a rear TV and satellite dish. The previous owner had the dish installed-a Winegard Roadtrip Minimax. The front TV works fine with either the Dish Wally receiver or the VIP211Z that we have. They did not install a rear TV but we have. We do get reception from the OTA antenna and have had park cable to it through the antenna plate in the rear.

The manual for the satellite dish says it will run a secondary receiver. That receiver can't toggle between sattellites but can receive the channels on the satellite that the front receiver is logged into.

My problem is there doesn't seem to be an active connection to the rear for the dish. I have checked the wall plate and the dish antenna and both have coax connected. The dish is to the secondary receiver and the wall plate in the rear says from roof satellite.

a Not sure if I am missing a switch somewhere or have a bad coax. Does anyone have an easy way to check the cable? I have multi meter that will check voltage, amps and I believe resistance but not sure if that will be of any help. We do not have a factory VCR sand have no obvious control center to switch to various TV's or sources. Any help would be appreciated
so u have gone up on the roof and there is a coax cable hooked to the secondary output of the dish? (along with the obvious primary one that works)
If so maybe there is a bad connection ;; maybe pull sat wall plate and make sure its connected properly?
I will assume you know that your TV will have to be switched from the cable in to HDMI 1 via using your Tv remote???
also the cable in to receiver than requires the HDMI cable to the TV
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Checked roof and wall plate and all connwctions are tight. Receiver does communicate with the tv just doesnt download a signal or seem to communicate with the dish
Old 12-19-2016, 09:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Checked roof and wall plate and all connwctions are tight. Receiver does communicate with the tv just doesnt download a signal or seem to communicate with the dish
Ok you never answered my question ? there is a second cable coming out of dish then besides the main cable? correct?

If so did u go into the dish menu and and go to set up and installation menu and set the receiver correctly

If your sure you have done what I suggested above run a new cable from the second receiver connection at the satellite directly to the bedroom receiver and see what you come up with
that will take the guess work out of it
Old 12-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

As stated I did check roof dish and there are two coax cables-primary and secondary. Also took cover off to check internal connections-all tight.

Have set receiver up through the dish menu twice through the tv and even swapped receivers-no luck.

External connection is great idea. Not sure if I have enough coax but will check. As luck would have it left my 50' one at home that I used with a portable dish with other coach as havent needed in two year

Thanks for input
Old 12-20-2016, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
As stated I did check roof dish and there are two coax cables-primary and secondary. Also took cover off to check internal connections-all tight.

Have set receiver up through the dish menu twice through the tv and even swapped receivers-no luck.

External connection is great idea. Not sure if I have enough coax but will check. As luck would have it left my 50' one at home that I used with a portable dish with other coach as havent needed in two year

Thanks for input
not sure about yours but on my dish X2 6000 series you cant set the receiver unless your connected to the dish
so it wont be able to do a switch check and a signal check etc
Old 05-31-2017, 04:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I've dug into this more and have some additional info. I have run an outside line from the roof dish to the receiver in back and all worked fine. Pulled the closet panel off and found the coax from the satellite wall plate ran into floor. When I checked up front again I found that the second feed from the dish taped to the wire going to the front wall plate-thus not hooked to anything.

The original owner had the dish installed by the dealer and my guess is since they did not have a rear tv that they didn't look for the coax from the back. The coach info says it was prewired for satellite.

I have removed front panels and looked for a disconnected coax with no luck. I am not sure where Winnebago would have run the wire once it comes up from the floor. I have chased the wire bundle to the electrical panel cover on the passenger side behind the circuit breaker panel but have not removed the cover yet to see what is there.

Winnebago sent wiring diagrams that I already had and said they were all I needed but they do not show the rear coax wire location or run that I could find.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Had 30T

Mine was connected by coax to the receiver in the back. Then by rca cables to tv. Cable and ota connected to coax on tv.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

jazzerjump, the drawings shows a wall plate with a single F connector to the left of the bedroom window below the TV. The label is "FROM ROOF SATELLITE DISH" and has a coax with double orange tape marker on it.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My problem is the coax from the rear sattelite wall plate is not connected to the coax from the sattelite dish. I have not found yet where that cable is supposed to be
Old 06-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Look behind the front overhead for a coax with the double orange tape marker.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

So far have only found 6 coax cables coming from the roof and have identified all and where they go. They are for the cable and antenna connections to front and rear TV's and the connections match the diagrams for the coax cables. Have removed the facia over the passenger side windshield roof pillar and no coax under there. Have one more panel to remove over the passenger side overhead but if something is there I don't know where it would come from.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #13
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Why not just run a new coax from rear receiver to connect to loose coax up front coming fron secondary roof sat outlet? Rkl
Old 06-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Don't know about your problem but if you still need to know an easy way to test your coax, do this. Disconnect both ends. With an ohmmeter ($10) measure the resistance. It should read infinity, indicating an open circuit. Then either short out one end with a jumper wire, or have a friend hold a screwdriver blade in a way that shorts it out. On the other end, measure the resistance again. Should read just a few ohms.

If you read just a few ohms prior to shorting it yourself, you likely have a staple through the coax. If you always read an open, you're either on the wrong coax, or there is a disconnect somewhere.

Sometimes RV manufacturers will put a splice in coax to use up short pieces. If there's going to be a open in coax, it's likely going to be there. Often the people that build these rigs have no idea about cables and how to install them, so be prepared for anything.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Running a new cable was my last option given figuring out how and where to run it and getting it from under the coach-or overhead somehow-to the front.

The info on testing is appreciated as I will need to do that if I find an unconnected cable.

Thanks so far to all replies. It is appreciated.