Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2018, 07:41 AM   #1

Vista 29VE Black Water Flush?

We just got our new 29VE and there is no black water flush. Has anyone attempted to install one? Also, anyone know where the black water tank is located? I checked underneath the rig and don't see any tanks (other than the Ford gas tank). I assume that means that the tanks are all located in the coach hidden by cabinets. Is that right?

Thanks,

Dennis
ddaudelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

There is a black water flush on this one. I find it hard to believe you don't have one.

https://www.lichtsinn.com/product/ne...-29ve-814107-9
Old 12-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #3

Hmm, I just watched that Litchsinn video and at 5:29, they show the water bay. It's just like ours and does not have a black water flush. Check it out. I'm surprised too that it is missing!
Old 12-25-2018, 12:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

you are right. I looked at it more closely. That's weird.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Darn!.. My 2018 doesn't have any flush water either, but I also noticed in the video the 2019 have a built in water filter..I see I am going to get busy when the weather starts to warm up...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:42 AM   #6

Yes, the new model has a "whole house" filter, meaning that it filters all the water going into the rig. But that also means that it uses a fairly coarse filter to maintain a good flow through the rig. It is good for removing sediment (5 microns) but not for those more dense filters (.5 microns).
Old 12-26-2018, 07:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Our 2018 32 YE did not have a black tank flush. That surprised me since our previous Winnebago micro minnie had one. A sales guy told us that it did not need one because it has a sliding window in the bathroom that allows you to flush it through the toilet with a hose. Uhhhh, right.....
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Our ‘17 Vista doesn’t have one either. The blank tank is accessible via a storage compartment and I plan to add a flush connection there. If room allows I may run the connection to the wet bay. I added a water filter to the wet bay on day one. An easy improvement
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #9
Site Team

Rather than the expense and trouble of adding a BWF system to your existing tank I suggest that you get an adapter that you connect to your main sewer dump. You attack the adapter between the sewer dump and your 3" dump hose. Then you attach a garden hose used only for flushing.

The adapter has a gate valve between the adapter and your dump hose. You close that gate valve and turn on the garden hose. Water under pressure flows back up and into your tank - and you can use it on either black or gray tanks. Then open the gate valve on the adapter and drain the backflush water. Do it two or three times with about 1/3rd to 1/2 of a tank of back flush water and you'll be cleaner than any black tank flush system.

Here's a link: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Camco/CAM39062.html And there is a video there of how it works.

Here's a photo:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flush.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	170753  
Old 12-27-2018, 04:36 AM   #10

BirchyBoy: Do you remember which storage bay exposes the black water tank? I'll peek around today too.

creativepart: That's a good system and I've used one previously on some of our travel trailers. I'm concerned about how well it would work on the Vista 29VE since the connection takes an immediate 90 degree turn to the left for gray water and to the right for black water. If it was a straight shot into the black water tank, I would think that it would have a better chance of working well.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaudelin View Post
BirchyBoy: Do you remember which storage bay exposes the black water tank? I'll peek around today too.

creativepart: That's a good system and I've used one previously on some of our travel trailers. I'm concerned about how well it would work on the Vista 29VE since the connection takes an immediate 90 degree turn to the left for gray water and to the right for black water. If it was a straight shot into the black water tank, I would think that it would have a better chance of working well.
Same thought I had with the 32 YE.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
If memory serves, it is just behind the rear wheel. It is between the wet bay and the electrical bay. Ours has a small storage cubby below and the tank is above.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Ours is the same :(

Also, the black gate valve is hidden up in the storage area instead of in the wet bay like the grey water, and is cable operated. There may be some technical reason for it but I can’t think of any.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:06 AM   #14

I climbed a bit into that bay and did see a tank which appears as if it could be the black water tank. It's hard to get there and would be difficult to work on it. But it seems to be that it must be under the bed.

If I lift the bed, there is a access hatch where I can see the water pump and the side of the fresh water tank. I'm think that it will be worth taking the top off the storage space to see if the black water tank becomes visible. If so, this would be the easiest way to work on it.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2014 Sightseer 30A. This model does not have a Black Water Flush valve either. We have noticed that it just about impossible to get the black water tank to fully flush(at least per the tank gauges) I've added the drain line flush adapter as suggested and that has helped but the partial draining is still persistent. IMHO leaving the flush valve out was a false economy by Winnebago. Lee
Leevormelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:50 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Holding...ers+with+valve
Close the valve and pump the water into the black tank.

I also like to have my gray water tank mostly full before dumping the black water. Once the black tank is empty I close the valve on the adapter and then open the gray water for from 5-10 seconds to let the gray water rush into the black tank.

I find I get much better flushing action from letting the gray water rush into the black tank than just using faucet water. I did this for about 4 years with my 2006 Sightseer.

I keep an eye on the clear part of the adapter when doing the gray to black flushing, to be sure the gray is going into the black and the black is not running back into the gray.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:16 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2017 and added a black input line to the top of the tank on the far right of the panel. It actually is just right of the panel. I drilled for a 1/2 NPT pipe thread. Gooped up the fitting and screwed it in. After setup I added 1/2 pvc pipe out to the panel and put a hose fitting on it with a shut off valve. Works well. Problem is the gate valve is on the passenger side leaving 8 feet of black water in the drain line. And if you don’t add a gate valve at the end of the line you may have a brown day when you take the cap off and there is no way around it. Really. It took two years to add one?
Westy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:30 AM   #18

I just bought the two Valterra Flush Kits. They include a built-in check valve. I will install it this week. I intent to drill holes into the coach side panels to get the connecting hose out of the rear compartment and will then run it through the wheel bay and into the water compartment. I will mount it high on the right side of the facing panel which is unused space.

There are two parts to make this work. The flush kit which attaches to the black water tank with it's check valve: https://amzn.to/2I4qDTS

And then the water inlet where you connect your incoming water line: https://amzn.to/2TEsPCI

These two kits are missing the necessary connector hose but since the hose will need to be a custom length that probably makes sense.

It will be nice (once again) to ensure that we are able to clean the black water tank completely.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:18 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

The black water tank is directly under the toilet. It goes from there towards the passenger side wall. The tank outlet is on the forward side. I have one of the clear plastic attachments like the one shown above but I think the water taking at least 3 right turns before it gets to the tank would make its use pretty pathetic except for the drain pipe. I do two things. Fortunately, my house has a surface access port to the sewage drain field. I dump there when I get home. Then I fill the black tank to 2/3rd with a water hose thru the toilet. I put clothing detergent in the tank and drive several miles. I then empty the tank. If that doesn't clean tank out I use this "Camco RV Flexible Swivel Stik with Shutoff Valve- Creates Powerful Cleaning Action that Dislodges and Flushes Stubborn Waste Deposits and Combats Odors (40074)."
Noah4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

I have a 2018 INTENT 26m, which is advertised as having a black tank flush...but it doesn't. According to Winnebago it didn't actually start until March 2018, while mine was built in January. The OP may be in the same situation.

Someone mentioned that he assumed that the tanks would be hidden in a cabinet somewhere...from my experience, that is true in Class C's, but not necessarily in Class A's. The Vista and Intent are similar, and my tanks are all between the frame rails and the floor. I prefer the larger upright tanks in Class C's much more as the level indicators are far more accurate.
My tanks are so shallow that a slight difference in being level can change the indicator lights from 1/4 tank to full. Luckily we have years of experience with dry camping and can monitor our use pretty well. Much better than the indicator lights, for sure.

I did find that my toilet is off-set from the black tank and doesn't drop directly into the top. The outlet is also 3 90's and a 45...not a great combo for direct drainage. My tank just dribbles after the initial rush.

I found that I had 2 sheet metal panels riveted in place vertically above the rear axle, perfectly in line with where the black tank had to be. I removed one and found it was access to the sensors of the tank on the end of the tank. Perfect. I installed a Tornado flush kit as close to the top as I could and routed the water line into the dump bay. I just had to trim the sheet metal to clear the hose and put it back in place.

The Tornado works MUCH better than the clear elbows with a hose fitting and valve. That method just took forever to fill all the drain plumbing before it even back fills the tank. I even had one of my elbows blow apart from the weight of the water...luckily it was my 3rd backfill and the water was "mostly" clean. The next elbow worked well, but the hose shut off leaks in the closed position, hose connected or not. It just leaks, so it also went into the trash.

With the Tornado I still use a basic clear elbow to monitor the situation. Drain, close. Turn on water to flush for a minute, open drain. Repeat until clear.

Tags
water