Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vista 27N compartment leak

Opened the passenger side rear most compartment and noticed the carpet was wet. No obvious signs of where the water was coming from. Had lots of rain last week and washed the MH yesterday. The only suspicious area is the tail light gasket. Anyone else have this issue?
murphy55378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a VISTA 26he and noticed the mat was wet in one of the storage compartments. It was a leak in the shower drain. An easy warranty fix at the dealer.
Dentkimterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Vista 27N compartment leak

Yes I have Water when driving in the rain and dust on gravel roads, Mind had gaps in the compartment corners, I sealed them up with Flex Seal sealant and it seams to be sealed up so far. Look for the gaps at night. get under the coach and have a helper with a flash light shine around the compartments. Poor manufactureing. I would like to ask the guy that builds the storage compartments IF THERE IS A HOLE IN THE CORNER DONT YOU THINK IT WILL LEAK.

Darryl
MIDMONDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:54 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDMONDN View Post
Yes I have Water when driving in the rain and dust on gravel roads, Mind had gaps in the compartment corners, I sealed them up with Flex Seal sealant and it seams to be sealed up so far. Look for the gaps at night. get under the coach and have a helper with a flash light shine around the compartments. Poor manufactureing. I would like to ask the guy that builds the storage compartments IF THERE IS A HOLE IN THE CORNER DONT YOU THINK IT WILL LEAK.

Darryl
THIS is excellent advice. Nearly every compartment on my 27 leaked, and driving in a rainstorm on the freeway ruined a lot of gear.

I put a powerful trouble light in the compartment, and closed the door on it. Do it at night, and you will see tons of seams under the rig that just aren't right. Get lots of caulk - I used black butyl rubber - and a good gun.

Then for good measure, caulk the inside with clear silicone.

No problems since!
Old 07-04-2018, 10:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I think I may have found the source. We had a bunch of rain this week and compartment was dry. RV was stationary. Thinking back I first noticed the leak after driving in the rain. Looks like they missed caulking where the rear cap meets the curved part of the roof.
Ordered the caulk that Winnebago calls out. Should be here the end of the week.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Got the MH out of storage today and confirmed the leak is where the rear cap meets the curved part of the roof. Washing the rv or driving in the rain would force the water into this area. When just sitting without leveling the MH has a slightly nose down attitude so no water would get in. Just wanted to update everyone.

Tags
leak