Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vista 27n "Cheap Handling Fix"

I was wondering if any vista owners have modified their chassis with the "cheap handling fix'?
SEADUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have an F53 chassis but have not done the "CHF", though it is a very popular mod.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2010 Vista 32k. I have done the CHF - both front and rear, with good results and NO problems in over 8k miles. I also di a diy rear trackbar. Another big plus, in my book.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I called Ford motorhome division and asked their take on the CHF. No problems, no issues with warranty so I did the front and rear. The improvement was dramatic. Significantly reduced body roll in curves, significantly reduced rocking entering/exiting gas stations, etc. And a marked improvement in wind and passing truck stability. I had intended to install a rear track bar, but after 2K miles since the CHF, I'm not convinced I need it, maybe someday, but so far, so good.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:46 AM   #5
Site Team

I've got a different model than the OP (32K), but with an F53 chassis to me it's a no-brainer. There is a post on iRV2.com with about a bazillion people that have done it with good results. When any mod you want to do on an RV normally starts at about $500 why not go for a free fix. I was able to connect with TeJay on the forum who was making some plates (I think about $50) that would allow you to keep the stock geometry while moving the link to the other hole. All in all the fix took me about an hour from getting the tools out to putting them away. (this is front and back sway bars).

I followed the CHF up with a rear track bar last summer and SUMO springs in March of this year along with new front shocks (Bilstein). THE CHF has about 19K miles on it, swaybar about 10K and Sumo's 3K. Since I didn the CHF pretty early on I have pretty much forgotten what it was like without them (only drove it a few times without). The biggest change seemed to come from the track bar. That settled the rear of the rv a ton.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I did CHF front and rear on my 2015 Vista 27N, made a huge improvement.

I was still not quite satisfied and further improved the driving experience with a Safe-T-Steer steering stablizer. It helps hold the front wheels straight but the power steering easily overrides it so turning is still the same effort. After Safe-T-Steer I can let go of the steering wheel and it still tracks straight, without Safe-T-Steer letting go of the steering wheel was something you could never do on my F53 without a change in direction happening.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2016 Sunstar LX 27N, which I believe is almost identical to your Vista chassis. I did the CHF on the front and rear, and as others have said, a big improvement. I used TJ's adapter plates on the front which made it a lot easier to install. I have the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer installed (came with the MH), and between it and the CHF, can't think of anything else I need.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the good responses. CW
Old 07-24-2018, 07:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I did the CHF on all 3 of my gassers in the past adn really noticed a big difference in ride, sway and steering. On my last Tiffin 32A I had the mechanic do front and back sway bars, It was al little harder to do on the front because of the Tiffin design but once done it drove like a breeze, but nothing like my new to me '07 Itasca Meridian 34H.

You won't notice the big rig push and pull as much or the leaning when you take the corners. I wholly recommend it.

Richard
rrtribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

The poster on this thread that said Ford said CHF is a Ford approved chassis modification. Did you get it in writing? Can you share the official written communication from Ford please? I ask because I talked to the Winnebago F53 Chassis lead engineer today at the Winnebago Grand National Rally and he says that Ford told Winnebago they could not change the sway bar configuration to the inner position A.K.A. our Cheap Handling Fix when making Winnebagos with the F53. That's why even though Winnebago knows that Class A RVs made with the Ford F53 have sway problems, they don't do CHF at the factory when making coaches. They do put steering stablizers on some of the higher cost Class A models.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
The poster on this thread that said Ford said CHF is a Ford approved chassis modification. Did you get it in writing? Can you share the official written communication from Ford please? I ask because I talked to the Winnebago F53 Chassis lead engineer today at the Winnebago Grand National Rally and he says that Ford told Winnebago they could not change the sway bar configuration to the inner position A.K.A. our Cheap Handling Fix when making Winnebagos with the F53. That's why even though Winnebago knows that Class A RVs made with the Ford F53 have sway problems, they don't do CHF at the factory when making coaches. They do put steering stablizers on some of the higher cost Class A models.
I called and spoke to their motor home division technical support/warranty service department on the phone. Nothing in writing and yes I understand the point. I see no reason to believe they would be less than truthful in answering my concerns on the topic. Was told Ford is well aware of the number of owners doing this adjustment, and knew right away what the CHF is. No different than installing aftermarket sway bars, track bars or steering stabilizers. A good conversation that made me comfortable doing the adjustment. I was very apprehensive about doing it too which is why I called. The improvement is so dramatic that I only regret waiting as long as I did.

Perhaps others could call and see if they receive the same reply? I can only relate my personal experience on the subject.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

CHF

I have an Itasca Sunstar 27N. Before my first trip I had a Steering Stabilizer installed. It was a slight improvement, but still a bit worry some on a cross country trip. When I returned I found a bad right front shock (leaking). Ford replaced it and on the way home I could feel the difference. The next long trip I had a Roadmaster rear sway bar installed and had much better handling was noticeable on good highways, but still cross winds, trucks and inconsistent road crowns were still touchy....but better. With 22K miles I did the CHF and have only driven down to get the oil changed and back.....but I could feel the difference. I think I will do the track bar, then shocks etc etc. Hopefully before I wear it out I'll be able to drive it comfortably.......like I had expected. It's better but not yet "good".
Jim Calahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks
Old 07-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We have a View, so the CHF does not apply, but I am curious as to what it involves.

It sounds like it has something to do with repositioning the anti-sway bars or end links.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

handeling on your F53 Chassis

The best advise I can offer is to invest as you go and address each need. Example:I wanted a motorhome that road like an old Cadillac but handled like a slot car on rails.
1. install a Roadmaster Anti Sway bar in the rear with track bars.
2. Install a safety plus steering stabilizer up front.
Results: no more tacking side to side driving down a road of any kind and added safety in case of a front tire blowout plus handling better. No more 18 wheelers blowing you around from passing or those coming at you. No more tail waging the dog.

3. Install a Roadmaster front anti Sway bar. Safety when caught going to fast into a decreasing radius turn on a two lane road...pucker factor.

4. Install Koni FSD shock absorbers all around.
Results: no more porpoise effect up and down and safety in handling all around.
Total results; Hardly any high wind effects, rides like an old Cadillac, handles like a slot car, safe and relaxed driving, performs well hitting pot holes.

This approach is as expensive as your needs require as you expand your distance and adventures.
Moonie
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:39 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
We have a View, so the CHF does not apply, but I am curious as to what it involves.

It sounds like it has something to do with repositioning the anti-sway bars or end links.

Ford has 2 holes in the sway bar. The "fix" is to move the end link to the other hole in essence adding some "pre-load" to the sway bar.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:04 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
Ford has 2 holes in the sway bar. The "fix" is to move the end link to the other hole in essence adding some "pre-load" to the sway bar.
Thanks Thom, I'm pretty sure I follow.

I'm guessing the chassis comes stock with the end link in the hole at the very end. By moving the end link away from the end of the bar, that effectively makes the bar stiffer, because there is less leverage working to twist the bar.

That begs the question why it is not installed that way to begin with.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Here's some light reading on the CHF. Cheap Handling Fix - iRV2 Forums
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonie View Post
The best advise I can offer is to invest as you go and address each need. Example:I wanted a motorhome that road like an old Cadillac but handled like a slot car on rails.
1. install a Roadmaster Anti Sway bar in the rear with track bars.
2. Install a safety plus steering stabilizer up front.
Results: no more tacking side to side driving down a road of any kind and added safety in case of a front tire blowout plus handling better. No more 18 wheelers blowing you around from passing or those coming at you. No more tail waging the dog.

3. Install a Roadmaster front anti Sway bar. Safety when caught going to fast into a decreasing radius turn on a two lane road...pucker factor.

4. Install Koni FSD shock absorbers all around.
Results: no more porpoise effect up and down and safety in handling all around.
Total results; Hardly any high wind effects, rides like an old Cadillac, handles like a slot car, safe and relaxed driving, performs well hitting pot holes.

This approach is as expensive as your needs require as you expand your distance and adventures.
Moonie
I'm glad to hear you like the Koni FSD dampers. I just installed them on our rig but have not had a chance to give it a road test yet.