Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Via vs View

Other than price and Class A vs Class C, what are the advantages and disadvantages to each model of the Via and View? What made you decide on the one you chose? The Via does seem to have more storage space for instance.
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

We liked the additional storage, the room up front when traveling, along with the pull down bed. Other than that not much difference between the two, just the various floor plans.
rob27n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:04 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

if you check Winnebago site you can check specs. The view has more inside headroom and is longer and taller than the via. Some other specs vary depending upon model.

Via | Specifications | Winnebago RVs
View | Specifications | Winnebago RVs

not sure if the via had air bags for the driver and front passenger

good luck with your choice
Old 05-26-2016, 11:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Good point! Airbags are usually not on Class As. Even the Sprinters I guess?
Old 05-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post
Other than price and Class A vs Class C, what are the advantages and disadvantages to each model of the Via and View? What made you decide on the one you chose? The Via does seem to have more storage space for instance.
You will get a lot more basement storage in a Class A vs. a Class C of the same length.

I would consider the Winnebago Ford Chassis Class A and C as well, visit a Winnebago dealer with good selection and check them all out. The difference a couple feet of length makes can be huge. Personally I have the 29' length Vista 27N and it has over 100 square feet of basement storage and huge water and holding tanks.

The down side of the gasser Class A and C is a slightly higher cost per mile for fuel. Personally I am getting 8 MPG on the Vista I own, while towing a 3,000 lb. SUV.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

We looked at 2014 Views and Vias. Mechanically the Sprinter 3500 chassis are identical. Except for the obvious difference of Views being "cab" chassis and Vias are not.

Setting aside floor plans and slides for the moment, we found the Via & View Profile (w/o cab over bunk and Snuffy Smith nose) had great access to the cab area and good headroom. The cab chassis with airbags and surrounding steel cab/doors comforting. Also, the two cab doors & coach door give better access.

We are in Texas. We had a Class B Sprinter and became acustomed to the Sprinter's cab most excellent HVAC, sound control, and low heat intrusion. The AC, quiet operation & control of heat intrusion from the engine is super important in any RV.... ever more so in the South/Southwest/West or heading into the sun.

Due to the large windshield the A design has a big problem. Via uses a Benz dash board but has at least five more acres of windshield and the black dash big enough to rodeo on. I've no idea how the hell you would clean the inside of the windshield... or the dash. Its going to be like a greenhouse or the cockpit of a B-36. That's not going to work well south of the Canadian border .....
Heading into the sun will be a killer.

The Views come standard with the "Remis" Eurostyle window privacy/sun shades in the cab. They stow in frames at the side of the windshield and doors. They pull out in a snap and stow in a flash. Vias, because of the Class A design, still use old school blankets, tarps, old sheets or something for privacy. Pull over for a break or to water the pups and "quick like a Bunny" you can shade the cab. We use them all the time. Remis shades are worth the price of admission.

The View Profile has a picture window in the cab over. Sweet. Makes inside light and airy. There are handy storage cabs on either side of the window. It has a U shaped cutout to make access to the cab mucho easier...almost like a Class A.

Either one has enough storage space in and under....

The Vias we explored only came with noisy stinky Onan gensets. 3200W. Views had them and also 3600W LP Onans. For a number of reasons(more watts, quieter inside, not much stinky, separate fuel supply) we went LP.

Comparing notes with a couple Via & View owners, our View Profile gives away about 1/2 mpg to a Via. Views with the Snuffy Smith cab over bulge about 1 mpg to a Via & 1/2 mpg to a View. My experience is about 15+ mpg over 15k miles. Our last trip was 15.8+ in stupid bad weather and a couple days of flogging the ponies. Considering its a V6 3L diesel (direct injection/variable vane turbo charger) w/ 5 speed automagic trans w/ paddle shift. It. Is. NOT. SHABBY.

Either model will keep up with traffic and take you much faster than you should. Effortlessly and quietly. All day. They now have either the V6 or a I4, twin turbo, seven speed automagic paddler.

Hope this helps...
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the info everyone! I live in Texas too, and the big windows will kill us in the summer. But, window tinting including the windshield will help a lot. But the Class View and Navion may be more to our liking. What about driving. I would think the A Via would drive a little better?
Old 05-28-2016, 07:31 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Well nutz! Lost my reply due to T-storm.

Good, easy, comfortable driving. They have an amazing amount of torque and big Class As and 18 wheelers are easy meat on a long up hill pull. Just leave the cruise control set and enjoy the ride.

The View/Via should handle very much alike. Same chassis. Big flat sides and bluff rears. Via has a little more side but a more penetrating nose. I think you would be very hard pressed to tell the difference.

Out of the box, Views handle quite well considering its mass, high center of gravity, and aerodynamic hindrances. They drive easy at highway speeds in good conditions. Its a matter of keeping speed down in adverse conditions. Like all barns on wheels....they do not handle like sporty cars.

Views, and I suspect Vias, have one annoying vice. "Transitions" (going from road to gas station drive way over a deep swale or 90 degree slow speed turn over same) set up a low frequency rocking in the rear. Forces conspire to amplify the rocking into strong pitching. Very annoying.... I've solved.about 98% of that problem by installing Sumo Solos in place of the factory bump stops. Damps but does not stiffen the suspension or impart forces like a roll bar.
Handling in all conditions is improved. Effects of trucks and crosswinds (heavy) are greatly reduced. I think a Via would be the same vice.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote