Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2007, 05:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I use my laptop running MS Streets & Trips or DeLorme Street Atlas along with a USB-connected GPS receiver for navigation. I found a neat way to mount it under way so that it's easily accessible to the driver without blocking sightlines, etc.

The Vectra (and Horizon) has a righthand drivers console that looks like this:

The bottom compartment hinges out to expose the controls for the HWH jacks and front slideouts. Above that there is a shallow drawer that pulls out. I haven't found it very useful as a drawer because things aren't contained very well, but it is mounted on slides and it quite sturdy.

I made up a small wooden shelf that sits on top of this drawer when it's extended. It is made from 1/4" birch veneer plywood and finished with polyurethane varnish. I glued some non-slip matting to the surface:

Here's what the laptop looks like sitting in place:

And here it is open for business. I have a small piece of foam (not shown) that I stick on the top edge of the laptop to cushion it against the console and avoid scratches, etc. to either one:

In this view you can see it in operation. My right hand can easily access the touchpad and keyboard if needed. (In general the only thing I do when driving is zoom in or out, hence the white labels for quick identification on the + and - keys.) There's room to get in and out of the driver's seat without removing it if you fold up the armrest, and the laptop screen can be folded down if needed to access the controls behind it. An unplanned plus is that the shelf does a pretty good job of shock-isolation as well.

Here's a view of the top of the shelf:

Here's the bottom. The non-slip pad here rests on top of the drawer front:

And here's a side view. The front piece (on the right in this pic) is sized to be a snug fit in the gap left by the open drawer. The block in the middle sits just inside the lip of the drawer and keeps it from sliding out:

Since interest has been expressed I've added a diagram below with corresponding measurements. If you want to make this I would recommend working first with corrugated cardboard (as I did when I first made this) to make sure that you're happy with the size, etc.

Start by drawing two rectangles side-by-side, with rectangle 'A' 8 3/4" by 14" and rectangle 'B' 3 3/4" by 9 1/2" as shown below. Measure down 13 1/2" on the side of the 'A' rectangle opposite the 'B' rectangle. The red lines which make up the outside angled edges of the shelf are then drawn as shown from the rectangle corners.

The forward lip is 11/16" thick, including the shelf thickness. This part needs to be a snug fit in the opening left by the open drawer, so you'll want to double-check the fit before glueing everything together. Mine is about 2 1/2" wide, but that measurment isn't critical. The other retainer piece is about 7/16" thick and about 2" wide, but neither of these needs to be exact. Finally, all the outside corners should be rounded slightly.

I hope this description is clear enough and proves useful to folks.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I use my laptop running MS Streets & Trips or DeLorme Street Atlas along with a USB-connected GPS receiver for navigation. I found a neat way to mount it under way so that it's easily accessible to the driver without blocking sightlines, etc.

The Vectra (and Horizon) has a righthand drivers console that looks like this:

The bottom compartment hinges out to expose the controls for the HWH jacks and front slideouts. Above that there is a shallow drawer that pulls out. I haven't found it very useful as a drawer because things aren't contained very well, but it is mounted on slides and it quite sturdy.

I made up a small wooden shelf that sits on top of this drawer when it's extended. It is made from 1/4" birch veneer plywood and finished with polyurethane varnish. I glued some non-slip matting to the surface:

Here's what the laptop looks like sitting in place:

And here it is open for business. I have a small piece of foam (not shown) that I stick on the top edge of the laptop to cushion it against the console and avoid scratches, etc. to either one:

In this view you can see it in operation. My right hand can easily access the touchpad and keyboard if needed. (In general the only thing I do when driving is zoom in or out, hence the white labels for quick identification on the + and - keys.) There's room to get in and out of the driver's seat without removing it if you fold up the armrest, and the laptop screen can be folded down if needed to access the controls behind it. An unplanned plus is that the shelf does a pretty good job of shock-isolation as well.

Here's a view of the top of the shelf:

Here's the bottom. The non-slip pad here rests on top of the drawer front:

And here's a side view. The front piece (on the right in this pic) is sized to be a snug fit in the gap left by the open drawer. The block in the middle sits just inside the lip of the drawer and keeps it from sliding out:

Since interest has been expressed I've added a diagram below with corresponding measurements. If you want to make this I would recommend working first with corrugated cardboard (as I did when I first made this) to make sure that you're happy with the size, etc.

Start by drawing two rectangles side-by-side, with rectangle 'A' 8 3/4" by 14" and rectangle 'B' 3 3/4" by 9 1/2" as shown below. Measure down 13 1/2" on the side of the 'A' rectangle opposite the 'B' rectangle. The red lines which make up the outside angled edges of the shelf are then drawn as shown from the rectangle corners.

The forward lip is 11/16" thick, including the shelf thickness. This part needs to be a snug fit in the opening left by the open drawer, so you'll want to double-check the fit before glueing everything together. Mine is about 2 1/2" wide, but that measurment isn't critical. The other retainer piece is about 7/16" thick and about 2" wide, but neither of these needs to be exact. Finally, all the outside corners should be rounded slightly.

I hope this description is clear enough and proves useful to folks.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:13 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Chris that's sharp looking, well done and not to complex!!!
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I like it Chris - simple and effective

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I would sure like to get the measurements of your laptop stand.

Thanks
Gary Mears
[email protected]
Gary_Phoenix, AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I did a search on goggle or ebay and found this one. I worked real well and was reasonable. I think I searched for it as mobilelapttopmount. Maybe try it. I am getting this CRS so give it a shot.

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara
GLTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Do you strap the 'puter down with a bungee or velcro or do you just let 'er fly, so to speak?

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The kit comes with velcro and I use a lot of it everywhere in the house. I usually buy mine at Wally-World as it comes in many colors and bulk lenghts. Have a good day.

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara
GLTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I've considered putting some velcro on it, but I haven't needed to. The antislip pad does an excellent job and the screen is supported by leaning against the console (on my little foam pad). I used this setup on our innaugural 11,000 mile trip around the country and never had a problem with the laptop moving around.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

The original post has been updated with a diagram and measurements.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Man, that looks great!
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

It looks great. Simple, functional, and inexpensive; three words I never thought I'd use when talking about any RV in one sentence.

I was asking about securing it in case of a panic stop, swerve, etc. Cheaper to secure than replace.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

It would be very easy to secure the laptop to the shelf with some velcro and even the shelf to the drawer via a velcro strap underneath if desired. In the case of a quick stop it can only move forward a couple of inches. It's down low so it can't really fly around at head height.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Chris,

Gary
Gary_Phoenix, AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:52 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Chris
That is Great! Just what I was looking for. But, alas my 2002 Journey does not have the same configuration in the dash console. I am currently working/thinking of a mount that will fit on the top of the dash directly over the rear camera console. I bought a plastic folding table and used the top an a small portion of two of the legs as anchors and discarded the rest except for two small pieces that I cut and screwed to the top to prevent computer movement.
The mount is finished, but is still untested. I will have more information if it tests out properly.
Robert

2002 Journey DL 36
Cat 330 diesel
98 Jeep Wrangler
One dog and one wife

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:12 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Great job. Thanks for all the input.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote