Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-16-2016, 07:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vectra 2004 HWH Slide, where are valves?

My 2004 Vectra's left hand slide is out and won't return.

If I try to pull in, the front tries but the rear doesn't.

In order to wind in the side I need to release the pressure on the valves, but where are they?

All other slides work OK and I can see what I think is the Equalizer.

I'm in the UK and it's raining so want to spend as little time on the grass as possible!!

Any advice please ASAP

PS, the thumb screw snapped off even after large applications of release fluid!!

Vectra 40AD based in Beautiful North Wales. UK.
Bigpeetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Under the entry steps. Feel for a nut in the front center of the steps just under the front edge. Remove it and the step will swing up. The HWH system will be right there. No need to get underneath the coach.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Under the entry steps. Feel for a nut in the front center of the steps just under the front edge. Remove it and the step will swing up. The HWH system will be right there. No need to get underneath the coach.
Just fyi, both steps should hinge up for access.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys, I'll get to it in the morning as it's getting dark now!!

Old 04-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpeetee View Post
Thanks guys, I'll get to it in the morning as it's getting dark now!!
If you need a new valve, they are easy to replace. Once you ID the correct valve, unplug the wire from the harness and unscrew the valve with the assist of channel locks. Use a mirror to check the port for leftover o-ring or dirt, clean as needed, and screw the new valve in. Hand tighten and then snug lightly with the pliers. Reconnect the harness and test. Any air should purge automatically. Check your manual for the correct room configuration, sides in or out, and check the fluid level. My '05 vectra need one room out to get a correct level, if I remember correctly.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 04-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

If it moves one side in, doesn't show that the valve works?

Old 04-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

There are two solenoids, one for extension and one for retraction.

However, before you do all that, have you checked the fluid level? Per a presentation from HWH if one slide works and another doesn't the most common issue is low fluid. See the doc I attached, notes by John Canfield from an HWH presentation at a GNR around 2008 that he posted.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH-Presentation-GNR2008.pdf (26.4 KB, 87 views)
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
If it moves one side in, doesn't show that the valve works?
Forgive me. You are correct. I misread the symptom you posted. Take a look at your operators manual for the HWH systems. I think you will find a equalizing valve located between the two rams. And, if I recall correctly, some troubleshooting help in the manual also. Take a look here and pick the manual that most fits your coach: http://www.hwh.com/ml44100bx_so.html

I hope you resolve your problem soon.

Rick Y
Old 04-17-2016, 09:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Looks like the ironwork that allows the slide to rise before retracting is bent as the front one is straight sided and the rear bowed.

I can see some PTFE bushes that should allow the whole mechanism to ride on an angled rail to lift.

I need my wife back to operate the switches to allow me to see what is happening.

Fluid levels were low, topped up and no difference.

I've sprayed the valve pressure release prior to trying to open them. (you need small hands and long arms to get to them!!)

If I were to lift the mechanism slightly with a jack it might help them start to move, any issues??

Inside, the framework of the slide is lower at the rear (where the metalwork is buckled) indicating mechanical failure.

Any more ideas?

Anyone had to change out one of these?

Would they be a HWH or Winnebago part?

Thanks for everyones help so far, at least it stopped raining today!!

Old 04-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I marked the slide and tried retracting slightly, the arm tried to retract before jambing up, so I feel that the cylinder in the rear of the slide is at least trying to work!!

Old 04-18-2016, 08:22 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Looks like the ironwork that allows the slide to rise before retracting is bent as the front one is straight sided and the rear bowed.

I can see some PTFE bushes that should allow the whole mechanism to ride on an angled rail to lift.

I need my wife back to operate the switches to allow me to see what is happening.

I've sprayed the valve pressure release prior to trying to open them. (you need small hands and long arms to get to them!!)

If I were to lift the mechanism slightly with a jack it might help them start to move, any issues??

Inside, the framework of the slide is lower at the rear (where the metalwork is buckled) indicating mechanical failure.

Any more ideas?

Oh NO!!! I had the same thing happen on my '05 vectra. I jacked up the side with the bent ram track with a 2x4 and a bottle jack and eased the slide in a bit at a time. I had an RV dealer replace it.

I am so sorry you are having this problem. What a bummer. Also, keep an eye on the bolts that the basement cabinets hang from. They have a history of breaking.

Please, keep us posted with your progress.

Rick Y
Old 04-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Anyone replaced these parts themselves?

Old 04-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Any more ideas?

We have an appointment with HWH next week to get one of ours replaced.
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, slide