Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-06-2018, 06:25 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

V10 Oil Change Helper

Howdy,

Changing oil on the V10s can get a bit messy without special preparations. I made a long funnel/collector that I used on the first two changes but it was still a pain getting it into place then holding it there.

I looked at the drain systems with a pet-cock type valve but didn’t trust them since there are so many bad reviews of the valves failing and leaking. So,,, I decided to try this.

The company rep said the VM14-1.50 size will fit the Ford V10s, Looks way too easy to use and it has a cap that will prevent oil loss if the valve does eventually weep. Great for collecting samples if one is interested in oil analysis too. Doing an oil change the end of this month so I can install it before the winter escape.

https://www.valvomax.com/

Can't seem to get the picture to rotate..??..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valvomax.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	170372  
Old 10-06-2018, 06:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I’ve been using a Fumoto valve for two years. Easiest oil change ever. No leaks in over 20k miles.
gnewhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:27 AM   #3
Site Team

I did my own oil change at 5,000 miles. What a mess! Frame member is in just the wrong place. No matter how hard I tried I couldn’t get the funnel in the right place soon enough.

I paid someone else to do the 10k change, it only cost about $50 more than doing it myself. I’m on the fence about 15k, but this looks helpful.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I just hold a plastic grocery bag with a hole cut in the bottom corner to guide the draining oil into the oil drain pan. Another one over the oil filter to catch any oil that spills when removing the filter. Throw away the grocery bags when done. Free.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
MAC
Winnebago 38 Q

I found a wide shallow pan on Amazon that lays on top of the frame member. It reaches under the oil filter as well. Works good. It has a funnel port for draining it. I just don't trust those pet cock valve styles.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
I found a wide shallow pan on Amazon that lays on top of the frame member. It reaches under the oil filter as well. Works good. It has a funnel port for draining it. I just don't trust those pet cock valve styles.
My husband uses one of those wide oil pans, too. Seems to work fine but I just stay out of the way.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
I just don't trust those pet cock valve styles.
Me neither, This one looks to be better thought out for reliability and ease of use. I like the fact it has a cap to prevent loss. We shall see...
Old 10-07-2018, 05:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

With the Fumoto valve I just connect a tube on the end of the valve and run the other end over the cross member into an empty gallon milk container and open the valve. When the bottle is full I close the valve and put the tube into a second container and open the valve again. Really no mess and just takes about 10 minutes to drain. There are youtube videos available to watch. Definitely the easiest oil change I’ve ever done.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought this clip. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
gnewhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:12 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

After PMing with Gene we are getting the Fumoto Valve etc. for out V10. Question I have is everyone talks about oil changes, but what about lubing? Do you do that yourself also? Or isn't lubing as critical as an oil change?

Thanks

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
After PMing with Gene we are getting the Fumoto Valve etc. for out V10. Question I have is everyone talks about oil changes, but what about lubing? Do you do that yourself also? Or isn't lubing as critical as an oil change?

Thanks
I grease the chassis with each oil change. It is equally critical. Although there's more to it than just pumping it in.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

... more to it? Not sure what you mean. How many zerk fittings do you have under there? I'm interested.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post

Thanks
Sue, my husband does the lube and oil change on our V10. The zerk fitting diagrams and other good discussion are on the Ford Chassis Owners section on iRV2.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:23 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBear View Post
... more to it? Not sure what you mean. How many zerk fittings do you have under there? I'm interested.
Greasing the kingpins can sometimes require removing weight to properly lube the load bearing ends. Some folks don't understand cleaning the zerks before greasing. Too much grease can damage the seals on the steering box, etc... I've had guys on my maintenance teams cause more damage from not knowing the right ways than from not doing it at all. Managing the Tribology program was one of the many hats I wore before retirement.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Sarah, I'll look over there.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #15
Wandering Winnie

I found that cutting a section out on the bottom of an empty gallon plastic jug works very well. The cap on the end is large enough to keep oil from over flowing, (like so many funnels do) plus you can move it around to hit the drain pan. A empty antifreeze jug works very well with its large cap opening.
kc8kix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v10