Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Using Power Levelers

We are having difficulty leveling our new to us 2004 Adventurer 35U. How much correction will the levelers make on an uneven sight? Do we just need to use blocks like we did with our fifth wheel? Just unsure what to expect-
sewmom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmom6 View Post
We are having difficulty leveling our new to us 2004 Adventurer 35U. How much correction will the levelers make on an uneven sight? Do we just need to use blocks like we did with our fifth wheel? Just unsure what to expect-
Are you using the full automatic function? What problem is happening? More details would really help.

Most people say not to raise the tires off the ground. Most importantly don't raise the rear wheels off the ground. If you do you loose the effect of the emergency (Parking) brake. I have at times raised one or more of the front wheels off the ground, but I prefer not to.

I prefer to use the manual leveling function, unless we are on a mostly level site. The manual function lets me level each of the 4 sides until we are level, or mostly level.

Your panel should have buttons representing the 4 sides, front, rear, right & left. Each button operates 2 jacks. I start with the lowest side, and bring it up to close to level, then continue with the other 3 sides.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

OOPS. I see you opened a second topic on the same subject and have answers there.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

More help?

I don't have fully automatic available. Thanks for the instruction! I am now trying to figure out just how much adjustment I can expect from the levelers and do I also need to use boards under the tires to help get it level. We were used to using the boards for side to side leveling and the front jacks to level front to back with our fifth wheel- this is a whole new game!
Old 08-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmom6 View Post
I don't have fully automatic available. Thanks for the instruction! I am now trying to figure out just how much adjustment I can expect from the levelers and do I also need to use boards under the tires to help get it level. We were used to using the boards for side to side leveling and the front jacks to level front to back with our fifth wheel- this is a whole new game!
Boards under the tires does not help with using the jacks. The jacks have a finite amount of motion and lifting the RV higher with boards under the tires just make the jack having to go farther to reach the ground.

Putting boards under the jacks will give you more lift. However then you get to the issue of lifting the tires off the ground. The RV becomes more unstable with tires off the ground. High winds can push you sideways and perhaps damage the jacks. Slippery ground can cause the jacks to slide down hill.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I guess we are trying to figure out how much correction the levelers will make and I guess it will be trial and error for a while- thanks for your input!
Old 10-09-2018, 02:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

There is a learning curve. I have small bubble levels attached to dash and above door. I use these rather than the lights on control panel. Easier to tell how much you need and where. I set these up by putting a level in the bottom of the freezer compartment and when level stuck on the dash/above door levels. I use 3 to 6 inch blocks under the 3 jacks that need them. Manual says to level side to side first then front to back. I start with side to side. just before side to side is level (about a quarter of a bubble out) I bring up the front or rear as needed. when close back to side to side. I don't recommend lifting the back off the ground but I'll lift the front off ground as needed. Better to re position. At times boondocking or even in developed campgrounds leveling can get difficult.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I haven't played around with it yet but the Truma app looks interesting.
You can use the practical camping tools to level your motorhome perfectly.
Maybe even more importantly, you can use it to see how much you're out of level when selecting a parking spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FitRV-Truma-App-360x640.png
Views:	125
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	170396  

Picture Posting Guide
charge-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much- yes there is a learning curve for sure. We are doing better but this helps a lot!

Tags
levelers, power