Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Used 2004 Sightseer

We're new to this forum and looking at a one owner, used 2004 Sightseer(30B) with 16K miles on a Ford Chassis. I'm staying away from Workhorse because of the brake recall issue. Does an '04 model on the Ford chassis have any history of known problems, or issues to be concerned with? Thanks for your advise
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum viper.

I see nothing on Ford for F-53 chassis recalls for 2004 Sightseer. Ford F-53 has been clean since 2002.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Zero problems here so far after 39k miles. Switched to Mobil1 synthetic oil after 5k miles.
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My only problem with a Ford Chassis is the size of the Dog House! Sure wish they would slide the engine forward and reduce the size of that thing, especially now that there is no other option for a front engine gasser other than Ford!
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

When I was at Tampa super show new Ford chassis on display, the engine look lower in chassis mounting if the box mfg follows through you may see housing lower.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
When I was at Tampa super show new Ford chassis on display, the engine look lower in chassis mounting if the box mfg follows through you may see housing lower.
That would be awesome! One of the reasons we went with the WH Chassis over the Ford was the HUMP! That and the fact when we found our MH it was on a WH Chassis not a Ford Chassis... We do like the lower dog house even though our engine is now an orphan...
Old 07-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We bought the same MH this past spring and it's been to Seattle from Grand Rapids MI and back with only one problem, a blown tire. That was simply a case of an older tire that should have been replaced. Check out the threads for tires regardless of which brand you purchase because tires in the 5-6 year range should be replaced, regardless of what the tire looks like on the outside.
The MH has been a real joy and you won't go wrong with this unit! Our MH drives like a dream, except when heavy winds caught it in the mountains. This is an issue with all MH's so I wouldn't attribute it to any particular mfg. Hope it works out for you!
Old 07-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all (007,HughP,GottaP, and Crumgj) for your responses! We feel alot more comfortable knowning your feelings about this unit. We'll check out your advise on replacing the tires on this website as well.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGHP View Post
Zero problems here so far after 39k miles. Switched to Mobil1 synthetic oil after 5k miles.
I see you tow a Honda CRV. We have a 2009 CRV that we plan to tow. How do you find towing with the Ford chassis? Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We bought both the RV & Honda new so I've had this combo for 7+ years. Don't notice hardly any difference whether towing the CRV or not. I recommend a Blue Ox baseplate and tow bar. Some folks feel the need for a Brake Buddy but I'm comfortable without one.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Gotta share my Oh Crap story related to towing our CRV... First time out with the CRV and Brake Buddy, was leaving home headed to Helen, GA. Had my folks with us, my Dad (85 yrs old) in co-pilot seat asking tons of questions about the RV. He was talking away and as I approached the first turn and put on the turn signal, he very excitedly asked..."Where'd the car go?" I heart ended up in my throat until I realized I had failed to explain that when the turn signal was engaged the rear view camera switched to the side view... The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful, except for when he decided to unravel the cords on the day/night blinds in the dining area to open them! That was fun getting that back together... My real Oh Crap moment was when we were leaving. I had hooked up the CRV, installed and tested the Brake Buddy and we were pulling away when all of a sudden we hear that awful screeching sound! After getting the attention of everyone in the campground and finding a place to pull off the main road, I discovered a very important fact about the Brake Buddy... After you run the test, don't adjust the drivers seat in the Toad! Yep, the screeching was me dragging the CRV down the rod with all 4 wheels locked up! I must say the RV could've cared less, if was moving down the road as if it had nothing behind it! Lesson learned, be sure to adjust drivers seat to correct position before hitting the test button, and don't touch it afterwards! So, I guess my point here is, if the RV will happily drag the CRV down the road with all 4 wheels locked up, you won't have a bit of trouble with them free wheeling!
Old 07-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Smile

One more minor bit of advice. Read your Honda owners manual in regard to beeing towed 4-down.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
One more minor bit of advice. Read your Honda owners manual in regard to beeing towed 4-down.
Yep, done that, not had any issues since the first trip!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

So far very pleased with the 30B pulling a Honda CRV. Purchased new in March and just returned from a 1000 mile trip to Yellowstone--all went well. Good luck.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
We bought both the RV & Honda new so I've had this combo for 7+ years. Don't notice hardly any difference whether towing the CRV or not. I recommend a Blue Ox baseplate and tow bar. Some folks feel the need for a Brake Buddy but I'm comfortable without one.
Regarding your preference for Blue Ox equipment.. are there advantages to this brand vs. others? In the past, I've used Roadmaster with good luck, in fact, they even replaced my entire bar free including shipping,after I made a real boo-boo in trying to install a new arm in the old tow bar myself!. Memory serves me that Blue Ox has better looking "plumbing" on the front of the CRV than Roadmaster's set up, but do you see other advantages as well?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Friends have an 09 CRV and the Blue Ox baseplate brackets are barely visible