Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Upgraded TV in 2008 Destination

The hubby recently took out the 30" CRT HDTV in our RV and replaced it with a 40" LCD HDTV. Here's the pics:

AprilWhine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

and

Old 06-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
I helped | retired moderator

Looks good!

How do you secure the TV on the swing arm when traveling?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Right now, he has rachet straps holding it secure, but long term plan is to use brackets. But the straps work, we just drove from NV to NJ then back to IA!
Old 06-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
rca
Winnebago Camper

Just curious.....why did you replace the original HDTV?
Can you tell us the make and model of the new one?
Old 06-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Multiple reasons, the original was a 30" CRT that weighed around a hundred pounds. The replacement is a 40" LCD that weighs around forty pounds. The replacement TV is much better. It's a Toshiba from Costco, don't know the model number.

I posted the pics just to show it can be done.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

AprilWhine,
Several months ago I posted a question if anyone knew how the 30" tv came out of the case. I'm interested in adding HDMI, and other cables to the back. Now that someone has pulled out that 117 pound monster, I'm hoping you can tell me how it comes out. Is it just a matter of releasing the four bolts on the bottom cabinet?

Thanks.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I didn't do it, but the hubby says there were bolts in the top, spring clips, and bolts in the bottom. Access the top bolts through the upper cabinet. He says it's pretty straight forward to remove and replace the TV.

He also says it's too much trouble for just changing cables. I say as long as you have it out, why not switch to a nice light LCD?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
rca
Winnebago Camper

Wanye M .... I've had experience with removing and reinstalling the original TV in 2 Destinations, mine and a neighbor while we were in Mission TX last winter.
Both our TVs had fallen out of place. Mine had to come out because the shelf it sits on was not fastened to the exterior wall during production. His had slipped forward during travel and also didn't have any support at the exterior wall.
There's a light guage formed metal bracket about 1-1/4" wide that should be visible in the center of the top of the TV set. Open the center cabinet about the TV and there will be a round access hole in the cabinet bottom (maybe with a plastic plug). Remove the two screws (20 torx on mine) holding the bracket and lift it out.
Under the shelf the TV sits on you'll find two 1/2" hex head bolts, one at each side at the front corners. These hold the square metal frame that runs around the TV set and need to backed off about an inch. I didn't remove them because they are several inches long with locking compound.
At the back of the cabinet, at the center of the TV set there are two 9/16" hex head bolts that I had to remove because they thread into a bracket that clamps the back of the TV set down to the shelf. This bracket has a strip of mastic material that held it to the TV case so I couldn't pull the TV out of the cabinet until the bolts were removed. They too have locking compound so you have to rachet them all the way out.
Then, make sure you've got another strong guy to help ease that 117lb beauty out of there and maybe another person to unplug the cables (and make a diagram of the connections so you get it back together).
Check under your shelf along the exterior wall and I'll bet you don't find anything supporting it. I have the diagram of the plates in the wall frame that I screwed the shelf support to that I added. I can forward it to you if you need it.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

RCA,
I would appreciate the forwarding of the information.

When I talked to Winnebago, the tech pulled up the diagrams and told me there was an access panel behind the shower. Like I'm really going to pull the shower out to
access the panel. I'm not ready to replace it yet, but my satellite amd Blue Ray are HDMI compatible and the tv has two HDMI inputs, but no access. Plus component and other connectors. I will run every wire I can plug into the back out the bottom of that cabinet and they will be labeled. I'm only going to do this once until I replace it.

Thanks for the heads up informration.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote