Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2020, 11:18 PM   #1
MarveyRV

Question Upgrade from Adventurer to Vectra - Advice

I am looking at a 2005 Vectra 34 TD as a replacement to our current 1997 Adventurer.

Looking for advice on what to look for on the inspection of the Vectra.
The coach is very clean inside with only one sign of a fix done on wall finish in the bathroom.

The storage bays have some signs of peeled paint and rust, looks like it came from a humid, maybe salty location.

I will be taking a second road test and inspection tomorrow and would like feedback from anyone with good advice.

Cat 330 Turbo Diesel with Freightliner Chassis.
MarveyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2005 40kd vectra. Great coach!
Check windshield for water leaks.
Some Winnebagos have a rust problem in the windshield frame where windshields need to be removed, rust fixed, and windshields reinstalled. They can actually rust through. Not cheap.
Mine had that problem.
Also, google fiberglass roof seal at the gutters.
Winnies Need to have the roof to gutter seals checked yearly for integrity. Not leaks.
If the joint fails, the fiberglass laminate on the roof can blow off under the right conditions.
The surface rust in the basement door frames is common, and an easy fix for someone that is handy.
Akdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I agree with akdale but do yourself a favor and go on the roof and check all the seams for yourself do not take the sellers word. Make sure you check all you can and check all fluids, engine, jacks,etc. run generator and check for power throughout the MH.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We have 2005 Vectra 40KD since 2010, full-timer RVers since 2011. We are very pleased with our coach.

Suggest you check that 34TD for fiberglass decontamination, which is as an indicator of past water damage and possible mold. Our windshield channels did develop some rust, but we had them painted with POR to avoid further damage. Otherwise, if it looks in good condition upon close inspection, it probably is in good condition. There will be a regular series of issues with any 15-year old coach, even with a well cared for Vectra, but diligent maintenance will head off any emerging and future repair issues.

The visual feel of interior on a 34 TD is about the same as our 40KD. However, the 40KD has significantly more basement storage room for full-timers. The up side of the 34TD is that it can get into State Parks etc. that do not have many (or any) 40-foot sites.

If you do purchase that Vectra, suggest Sealtech to detect any recent rainwater leaks.
drczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The roof on my Horizon (sister ship to Vectra) was destroyed by a microburst. >$27K to fix. In shop for 2.5 months then returned in 4 month to do over again, in shop for 3 more month. Check the seal and use the Winnie called adhesive. Mine had been resealed 13 months before loss.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, vent, upgrade, adventurer