Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Ultimate Freedom

Does anyone know how many Ultimate Freedom were produced.

Thanks
Gene
Old 10-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm curious too. I think Winnebago built the Ultimate series (Advantage and Freedom) about 4 years.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Do not know who many but many say this was the best ever made.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I owned an Ultimate Freedom '00 purchased new which I later traded up for a used '02 (to get a 2nd slide). I like them both and was in fact looking for an 03 or an 04 to upgrade again. Had problems initially with both but once I got the bugs out I considered both to be very reliable. I was once told that in '03, less than 200 were built (some were labelled '04) and I wondered why W was not more successful with their Ultimate line which was so well priced considering how well equipped they were (at the time).
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I owned a 2001 Ultimate freedom, Traded it for a new 2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter (big mistake). In 2013, I traded the 2008 H/R for a 2003 Ultimate freedom.
Although this unit is now 10 years old, it is much superior to the 2008 H/R
Gene
Old 10-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I was fortunate that my first Class A was (and still is) a 2003 Ultimate Freedom 40KD. I know a lot more now about Class A motor homes then I did a year ago and I truly have no buyer's remorse! I've updated the TV's but otherwise only made a few changes. I really like it as is; the high ceilings, three slides, and the floor plan. They were top of the line when built, and I think they still are.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I think Winnebago built the Ultimate series (Advantage and Freedom) about 4 years.
I have always thought they built them for 5 years. Over the years I've see 99's up to '04's.
We really like our UA. 82K miles and it's been perfect except for a slide seal recently replaced. We did replace the Norcold about 3 years ago with a Samsung.........very good decision.
On recent visit to Forest City I spoke with a long-time Winnebago employee about our UA. He never really said why the line was discontinued. But, he did say they were not built in Forest City and they were built in a Winne plant in Charles City, IA.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I believe '99 through '04 is correct. The Ultimate plant in Charles city was changed over to building class c's I believe... My guess on part of the reason Winnie quit building Ultimates was what I would term a marketing mistake. Sales of Ultimates were restricted to select dealers ...not all could sell them. And I have taken mine for service (back in 2004 even) and had dealers tell me they had no idea Winnebago made such a coach! I agree they are great coaches. Ours was a show coach around OK and TX. We bought it in Jul 03 with 5k on it. It is now close to 85k. We've never been tempted to swap it for anything else.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
I have always thought they built them for 5 years. Over the years I've see 99's up to '04's.
We really like our UA. 82K miles and it's been perfect except for a slide seal recently replaced. We did replace the Norcold about 3 years ago with a Samsung.........very good decision.
On recent visit to Forest City I spoke with a long-time Winnebago employee about our UA. He never really said why the line was discontinued. But, he did say they were not built in Forest City and they were built in a Winne plant in Charles City, IA.
I stand corrected. I did say "about" 4 yrs and I said that because I believe very few units were built in 04. (they looked a lot like the 03's).
I will say again I think they were a great coach, good value for the price. It was a large dealer in Ontario Can. that told me they stopped manufacturing them because there was not enough quantities sold...
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

They were very similar regardless of the year of mfg. Full body paint is one easy distinction from early to later. Other easy to see differences are the outside mirrors and the compartment door latches. My early '03 has some interesting interior differences from an "identical" late '03 I saw one year at GNR ...light fixtures & vent fans in different locations for instance. The '04s have a very neat headlight treatment. One of my headlights is coming loose from the fiberglass behind the cap, and I have been wondering if I would be able to use the '04 headlights and treatment to "upgrade".
Old 10-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We bought an 04 Ultimate Freedom 2 years ago with 33K miles on the odometer.
Have since driven from here in Florida to the west coast 3 times. Love this machine.

Can't believe the great comments from RVers and others about the design and finish.
Only major problems so far have been the icemaker and the slide motor. Had to replace the entire hydraulic unit because slide motor was not available.

Oh yes, forgot that I had to replace the muffler and tailpipe. Previous owner had lived in PA.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Bought a used 2000 UA about 5 years ago. I have never had any trouble except a few minor problems. I was nervous it would be a money pit but it has been nothing but smooth sailing.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We are very happy with our 2003 Ultimate Freedom.
We tried S O B (some other brands)
And went back to Winnebago.

Maybe we should start our Ultimate Fredom club.

Gene
Old 11-10-2013, 04:39 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJVO View Post
We are very happy with our 2003 Ultimate Freedom.
We tried S O B (some other brands)
And went back to Winnebago.

Maybe we should start our Ultimate Fredom club.

Gene
The name says it all, doesn't it! We're already members of that club!!

I just had my annual maintenance done and will pick up my rig today. Nothing major. The dryers were replaced on the air system and I had other routine things done (oil, generator, filters, etc.) - $1,400! But, you all know, it's a great coach and I can't see ever "trading up". What would be any better?
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:27 PM   #15
Winnebago Destination

I purchased my 2002 Ultimate Freedom WD in December 2018. I previously owned a 2000 Beaver Marquis Amethyst. The Winnebago in most ways is far superior . I had to replace the bedroom slide hydraulic rams and hoses as the DPO did not get the recall done !!
The rear air bags and front shocks were replaced.

After adjusting the tire pressures to 90psi rear and 100psi front she runs very well .
So far we have run to Canada and back and many short trips here in Florida.
I will replace the Norcold soon with a Samsung RF197 or similar.

No regrets so far.
Nice One is offline   Reply With Quote