Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Two "storage" holes in Journey

My 2004 Journey has two holes with covers in the bedroom. One in the closet and one in front of the closet. The problem is anything you put in the storage has a condensation problem? This makes the storage useless. Any one else have this problem?
Old 02-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Slick:

Tell us a bit more about your rig...which model? Are you speaking of hatch covers for engine access?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a Journey 39K and I have the two storage compartments that you mention. They both have lift up hatches that are covered with the same carpet material that is in the rest of the MH. I guess they are slightly larger than an average milk crate in size and as yours is, one just in front of the closet, the other inside the closet on the driver's side.

I have no condensation problem in mine, they are both lined with the same carpet that is in the rest of the MH. I am wondering if yours are lined or not, or if there is a leak somewhere.

As mentioned by SML Ranger, we need a little more info on the floorplan of your Journey.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Our 2004 Journey 39W has a single hole like you describe in front of the rear closet sliding door. I was told a sometiome that it was the location for the "optional" locking safe.

We use it for a "booze box". It has never had any condensation in it that I'm aware of, only bottled alcohol. Works for that.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Dean ...

Check inside the closet ... we have a 2004 39W too ... we have under floor storage spaces both inside and in front of the closet
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the replies,

My coach is just as Old Snipe describes. The only thing I see different is mine is on a Workhorse chasis but I can not see how that should affect this situation. Also, since these boxes are in the closet and just out side the closet a leak does not seem likely. A real puzzle to me. I have been in Florida and there have been some extreme temperture swings but being in the heart of the coach I did not see how that would cause this much condensation. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

as info, I have a Cummins 330 engine
Old 02-04-2009, 03:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have the Journey 39K with the two storage holes in the back. We have a problem with dampness when we have a long hard rain. To date I have not been able to find were it is leaking. One item to consider is when pulling in the bedroom is there any water coming down the side wall (rear) that may be getting the carpet wet and wicking down into the hole? Just a guess and nothing more. Good luck. If anyone finds the reason for this please let me know.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have an '04 Journey 36G and I can't find either of these openings. I would be interested in what floor plan you have also. Maybe I'm missing something.
Mr_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Mr Bill ...

We have either the 39K or 39W floorplans... these models have the closet across the back of the coach and the bed slides out on the street side ... I think your bed is fixed and your closet slides out on the street side ...

So you probably do not have these under the floor storage spaces
Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

More info,
this coach has the air and heat unit under the back by the engine. Do you think having the heat and air next to these holes could be the problem??????????
Old 02-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

SkiGramp,

You're correct. I didn't read all the posts close enought to realize it was a 39'. Oh well, I was hoping to find a good place to hide things.
Mr_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have no condensation in these areas. A factory installed safe is located in the small hole in front of the closet. I removed the cover over the large hole in the closet and store the extra dinet chairs in that space.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Sunde's

I also get some moisture in the storage hole in front of the closet after hard rains (blowing from the street side of the coach with the bedroom slide out)

If we are "home" during hard rains we retract the bedroom slide ...

I have put some "clear" caulk over the screws in the exterior vertical moulding on the aft side of the motorhome itself ... that has helped but has not entirely eliminated the moisture problem ...

My next step will be to do some additional caulking at the lower right hand corner ...

I am not sure that I will be able to completely eliminate water intrusion from strong rainstorms with the slide out ... it is a nuisance but we experience these rain storms so seldom that it is not one of life's biggest problems ...

Old 05-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

we have a 04 vectra 40ad and we use the storage hole in the closet for hang up clothes. there is another rod to hang the wife extra clothes on and they hang down in the hole. now we don't have to use the toad for her extra clothes.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:21 AM   #16
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Storage holes

The compartment outside of the closet is used for regular storage because its easy to access. We had moisture in that compartment when there was a slide seal leak. The cover on the compartrment in the closet is left open we store a bissel rug shampooer and a full size house vacuum upright side by side. Storing them in the compartment enables us to keep more clothes on hangars on the right side. Try keeping both covers off the compartments and let air circulate for a while.