Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2008, 04:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

It is my understanding that as of February 2009 that my TVs in the Journey will not work off the antenna, maybe even when hooked up to cable while in a RV park. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, what can be done to get them to work?
Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

It is my understanding that as of February 2009 that my TVs in the Journey will not work off the antenna, maybe even when hooked up to cable while in a RV park. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, what can be done to get them to work?
Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Lake - There was a recent discussion of this. Here's a link. In a nutshell, cable and satellite will work as they always have. To watch over-the-air local channels you will need a digital to analog converter.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Just to throw more dust into the air, I recently saw an article about cable operators and digital TV. The large systems such as Comcast will probably convert the signal before they send it down their line. Smaller systems may require their customers to have a set-top box to convert the signal. Where this will leave those RV parks on those systems is unknown. The answers regarding the cable systems is still somewhat of a moving target.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

when you buy a digital converter box, make sure you get one with "analog passthrough" or you will not be able to get analog stations with your antenna without using an "a-b" switch. mine is a magnavox TB100MG9 actually manufactured by funai.
mine is from sears. kmart has them too. walmart DOES NOT have the analog passthrough model. the $40 fed coupon reduced the price to $9.95.
it works ok in hawaii in my house and in washington in my winne 35u, using the wineguard batwing antenna.
i have not been able to record digital with my vhs vcr, just analog.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:13 AM   #6

The "analog Pass-thru" has been much discussed here and elsewhere. You can use a spliter to have a pass-thru or buy a box with a pass-thru.

The boxes with the pass-thru have bad signal loss as discussed earlier.

Let us know HOW you hooked yours up!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

FRONT RANGE: in the moho, I hooked up the antenna input to the converter box. the output from the box goes to the switch panel. i hooked up the red, yellow, white cables to the front of the vcr.
in the house i hooked up the antenna input to the converter box, output to vcr. red, yellow and white cables to vcr.
analog signal loss is noticeable on nbc and pbs channels in hi. not noticeable in moho in wa.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The boxes with the pass-thru have bad signal loss as discussed earlier. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The APT signal loss problems were on teh early models (especially Philco). The new ones just coming out, especially the Zenith DTT901, supposedly have this probelm solved.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote