Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

TV upgrades

1998 Adventurer, want to upgrade to flat screen and remove existing cabinet for old tv
wegobago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Your front overhead cabinet layout is essentially similar to mine. We made the change a couple of years ago.

We thought about removing the TV cabinet as well, but the way those cabinets are mounted makes that hard. Plus, why?

We took out the old TV. Cut a piece of ply to fit inside the cabinet opening. Painted it black. Secured it with hinges (matching the hinges on other cabinets) on the top edge and with a 20lb gas strut on each side. Again, just like our/your other overhead cabinets. Mounted the TV to the ply using rubber washers as shock absorbers between the ply and the TV. In our case, mounting the ply almost flush with the cabinet frame allowed us to mount a 32" flat screen. Could have been bigger, but, why?

You'll need catches on both sides of the bottom of the ply. I used bullet catches because I had some.

All that space we scored behind the ply is excellent for storing bulky coats or whatever.

Flip up the TV, the gas struts hold it open. Easy peasy to access the back of your TV.
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the idea, sounds like the direction we will go, just don't want it to look like a ad on
Old 03-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We agree. No appetite for a jerry rigged mess. Attached some photos.

One shows our first effort. Took a 28 inch flat screen we had in the guest room and it fit inside the existing cabinet.

The other two photos are of our upgrade to a 32 inch flat screen. It over laps the cabinet frame by about 1 inch on each side, so appears to "float". Only extends into the cabin by about an inch, so unobstrusive. Bigger screen and more storage behind.

We will leave it up to your esthetic as to "add on" appearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Cabinet re-engineered.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	169268   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180304_104644.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	169269  

Name:	20180304_104724.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	169270  
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the pics, your cabinet arrangement is the same but our cowling around the TV opening is a molded plastic, may have to use it as a template for new TV back mount. These pics help with the visual, thank you
Old 03-22-2018, 08:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

How I did it

I took off the molded cowling, removed the bolts holding the TV in the metal frame, removed the TV, and finally the metal framework holding it in the overhead.

Once the opening was cleared I added 12" tall x 1" thick piece of plywood between the sides of the overheads and set back about 6" from the face of the opening; this left room at the top and bottom of the opening for wiring and air flow. I then carefully measured and mounted an articulated TV bracket to the plywood piece so that when the TV is retracted it exactly fits between the sides. A TCL 32" did fit exactly. The TV bottom is only about 6" below the level of the overheads so I did not feel the need to create a frame.

I used a decorative metal sheet cut and painted it as close to the color of the bottom of the cabinets. This covered the bottom of the opening to create the look of a flat bottom all the way across the upper cabinetry. I also mounted the map light in the latticework. I took out 96 lbs. and added back 12 lbs. Nice trade-off. A poor man's remodel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nov 7 2017 454.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	169318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nov 7 2017 455.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	169319  

Name:	Nov 7 2017 456.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	169320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nov 7 2017 457.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	169321  

Old 03-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I took mine out and just built a shelf there. I put the new flat screen in the cabin part across from the couch. Not sure why it was in the front anyway? Seems nobody can watch it while another person is driving (at night anyway). I didn't see why the driver needed to see it, so I moved it back. Now we can watch TV while en-route.
tommymsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Take a look at a new Winnie View and see the bracket where the tv becomes the cabinet door. Then use the space behind the tv for whatever.
Tucsontoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We don't watch while traveling, only when stopped. The TV arm extends outward about 10". We swing the whole arm to the co-pilot side, turn only the fully extended TV back toward the couch, and then tilt the TV down a little for better viewing. The folks on the couch (in the slideout) and in the swivel recliner behind the co-pilot seat then have a great view; so does the dinette a little further back.

I wasn't really motivated to fashion cabinetry for more storage. That might encourage a certain party, and I won't mention the DW's name, to feel the need to further pack the additional few square inches with something heavier than a TV.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I mounted mine to a piece of plywood screwed to the old metal bracket using an articulating, locking mount:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My long range plan is to make a thin cabinet for under the window behind the passenger seat. This will have the TV in it on an electric lift so it will stow in the cabinet and rise up for use. By doing this it will be straight across from our slide out mounted recliners so we don't have to "crick" our necks. I was pleasantly surprised that the lift mechanisms could be had for under $200:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6OSIMO...a-354539395603
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the links, the drop down mount looks like the best solution
WJRUBICON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade