Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Trik-L-Start Charger/maintainer install in 2004 Winnebago Journey.

I recently purchased a Trik-L-Start battery charger/maintainer. It is my judgment that this is a better way to prevent discharge of the engine battery than using the knife blade disconnects that a dealer installed when I complained of battery drainage. My questions and comments here are posted in the hope that I am installing this device correctly, and will get it right the first time. I am going to connect this to the solenoid-type isolator, that is located in the front of my coach (2004 Winnebago Journey) behind a cover plate. I believe (without checking with a dc voltmeter) that wire going to the house batteries is to the left of the isolator when looking at it from the front, and the wire to the right goes to the engine or starting battery. That said, I believe I then have to connect the following wires coming out of the Trik-L-Start unit in this way....(yellow goes to house terminal/left side of isolator/solenoid, blue to the engine/start on right terminal of isolator/solenoid, and black to a ground. I have a friend in one of our WIT clubs who is connected in this way. Plus he has a toggle switch which allows him to turn the Trik-L-Start off and on.
I am not sure how to wire a toggle switch (and I want to procure the proper type of toggle switch if I decide to go this route.) Any recommendations concerning the specific type of toggle switch and the proper way to connect it to be able to turn the unit on and off will be greatly appreciated. I appreciate any suggestions and recommendations from those in the forum. Also, let me know of whatever experiences any of you have had with the Trik-L-Start, both good and bad.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am bumping your message to keep it on new posts and todays files since you have not received an answer to your question. You can also call trik-l-start and they will try to help you over the phone.

Jim
Old 07-06-2009, 07:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Sounds like you have it right. Just verify that you have the right battery connections on the solenoid with a test light or bolt meter by lifting the ground of the house battery. I don't see much value in a toggle switch. Most any toggle switch would work as it is a low current going thru the device.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My coolbeans
I installed mine over a year ago now, so going from memory here.
The answer is yes, you do want to install both wires to the battery isolator solonoid. The trik l start will then work with your house battery disconnect switch turned off.
If I remeber the house battery side was on the right side of the solonoid and the chassis battery side was on the left, standing , facing the motorhome. Look at the solonoid and you will see a cable from this isolator solonoid running to your battery disconnect solonoid. The side which has this cable to the isolator solonoid is the house battery side.
There is an open spot to the right behind the cover plate that is enough room to mount the trik l start. I installed the ground wire under one of the mounting screws.
To be on the safe side, just disconnect the neg. terminal on your house batteries and test with a meter.
I dont have any info for you about a switch, or why you would even want one.
I imagine radio shack coulde have many that would work.
I will be at my motorhome today and take a look, get back this afternoon if no one has answered specifically.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

If a toggle switch works it would be a good addition. I have a problem with mine in long term storage, in that the solar charger is not large enough to keep both set of batteries charged. I have an annoying discharge on the chassis battery(with the disconnect switch off)l which I have not been able to find. This drains the house batteries, and the solar panel can not keep up with. A toggle switch would at least keep the house batteries charged.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
If a toggle switch works it would be a good addition. I have a problem with mine in long term storage, in that the solar charger is not large enough to keep both set of batteries charged. I have an annoying discharge on the chassis battery(with the disconnect switch off)l which I have not been able to find. This drains the house batteries, and the solar panel can not keep up with. A toggle switch would at least keep the house batteries charged.
According to Trik-L-Start detailed description it has an automatic shut off. I believe this is done by sensing the voltage on the House Batteries and not charging when they are below a certain level.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Mrcoolbeans
Just got back from checking my coach and here is how mine is wired.
standing in front and looking at the solonoid.

The yellow wire attatches to the right/drivers side of the solonoid.
The blue wire attatches to the left/passengers side of the solonoid
I have a great picture of it, but do not know how to post it.
Hillary is right, it does have a shut off feature.
Ottowa must have some electrical gremlin attacking his system.
A note about the 10W solar charger installed on our coaches.
The reason I went to my coach today was to check my new three 12V house batteries I installed 3 days ago.
When I installed them fresh from purchasing them, the panel readout was 12.5 for the house and 12.5 for the chassis.
Today as I checked them , the house batteries flashed at 13.4 and settled on 12.7, the chassis batteries were 12.6.
I live in sunny Ca. and it had the long summer days.
In wintertime I add a 9W portable solar, attatched to the house batteries, as I found the 10W built in solar just needed more oomph during the shorter winter days.
about the switch, If you do install one I would install it on the ground wire
The solar would still charge your house batteries, but nothing to your chassis batteries.
I still dont understand why you think you need one.
Good luck, the trik l start is a great addition.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago has their hook-up diagram in the electrical drawings for the 2006 Journey models on their web site. My Journey did not come with one, so I added it and wired it following the wiring diagram. Works great and only works when batteries are turned on.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_152098.pdf

It is on page 3.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

You can also go to the Winnebago service tips for April 2006 for the explanation on retrofitting one on motorhomes that weren't factory installed.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I know this sounds obvious but remove the 10 or 12 screws holding the metal trim plate the hatch door fastens to so it will be out of the way. The installation will be easier and you'll be able to access the solenoid easier for fastening the wiring and removing some of the foam that surrounds the solenoid.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

It's been a while since I installed on my 03 Journey DL, but I installed mine on the house battery side of the disconnect. Winnebago installs on the switched side. I asked why at GNR a couple of years ago and of their EE's said that it was because the Trik has a 5ma draw at all times and they thought that might be a problem for long term storage with no electric hook up.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote