Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #1
2006 Itasca Meridian 39K

Trik-L-Start

I'm new to the DP world and am a little intimidated by the electrical systems, I'm experiencing low voltage on my chassis batteries. I found the Trik-L-Start maintainer but non of the three lights on the unit come on, even after running the headlights for five minutes from the battery. I metered the batteries and got 12.4v then started the engine and they popped up to 13.6v.

The motorhome always starts, I normally keep it plugged into a 30 amp outlet in my barn. Do I have a problem and if so how can I tell if the Trik-L-Start is functioning, shouldn't it charge the batteries higher than 12.v? Is there some electrical setting in the MH that I need to check to have the maintainer working?

The MH is a 2006 Meridian so the maintainer was installed by the factory.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Wingchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You should get either charging or flashing maintaining. You might have a bad device.
Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you have the electrical "Disconnects" turned off the Trik-L-Start will not function the way it was designed. The disconnect isolates the batteries when turned off.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If it's wired in right at the battery posts, which is typical, the disconnect for the RV (often called the salesman switch) won't change it's function.

I'd look for a wiring error or broken wire at the TLS connections. Also tug on the wires because the installer may not have crimped them tight enough. You can get a manual for the device online and it will show you how it's suppose to be wired and the functioning of the lights.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The Front End Wiring Installation diagram for the OP's coach shows how the Trik-L-Start is wired.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Awww. Factory installed is not like I expected. I'm wrong, it does go through the battery disconnect solenoid. Though it's the first time I've been wrong this year, .

So the suggestion that the salesman switch needs to be on for the TLS to operate is correct in this case.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Mine is wired across the isolator and green blinks when adding charge to chassis battery.
When motor running goes solid green. Actually works best with solar panel. If in barn then that is not going to charge. I leave the salesman switch on. When connecting be aware of which post on the isolator is chassis and which is house battery.
Without trick-L-start the draw on the Chassis battery will drain battery in a short time.
I think next is to disconnect battery which may lose your presets etc-
1953Tbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

What the OP could do is just move the yellow wire from the right side post to the left side post of the battery disconnect solenoid (as shown in the diagram posted earlier in this thread)...

That would wire up the TLS the exact same way millions of us that bought it later and didn't get it as a factory option have it. Then the battery disconnect switch could be left in whatever position the OP wants and the TLS will keep the chassis battery charged when plugged into shore power.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Awww. Factory installed is not like I expected. I'm wrong, it does go through the battery disconnect solenoid. Though it's the first time I've been wrong this year, .

So the suggestion that the salesman switch needs to be on for the TLS to operate is correct in this case.

Thanks! I was beginning to loose faith in myself but then I had a 2008 and it was wired correctly and the switches needed to be on....and...the step needed to be turned off. I was fortunate that my step switch was just inside the door so I could close the screen door, reach in and turn the steps off then shut and lock the door.

p.s., I was wrong onc......er never mind, I was just mistaken.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingchop View Post
I'm new to the DP world and am a little intimidated by the electrical systems, I'm experiencing low voltage on my chassis batteries. I found the Trik-L-Start maintainer but non of the three lights on the unit come on, even after running the headlights for five minutes from the battery. I metered the batteries and got 12.4v then started the engine and they popped up to 13.6v.

The motorhome always starts, I normally keep it plugged into a 30 amp outlet in my barn. Do I have a problem and if so how can I tell if the Trik-L-Start is functioning, shouldn't it charge the batteries higher than 12.v? Is there some electrical setting in the MH that I need to check to have the maintainer working?

The MH is a 2006 Meridian so the maintainer was installed by the factory.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Are you still with us? You have some great suggestions posted. Did you find your problem?
Old 08-30-2018, 12:34 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

And it was just getting ineresting...

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:14 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
And it was just getting ineresting...
Don't yea just hate it?! Now we are hanging without a clue.