Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Tranny temp gauge

Just bought a used 2004 Winnie Vectra. had it in flagstaff freightliner for service noting the trans temp gauge didn't indicate any temp, they changed the gauge and many $$ later and it still won't indicate, any suggestions.
rjsracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi - and Welcome to Winnebago :-)
We have an '04 Vectra 40KD that behaves the same way. The transmission temp won't budget until the temp really rises (i.e. gets HOT).
Fortunately, our rig has the TripTek system, which lets us check the temperature through a set of digital screens that show on the backup monitor.
I console myself with the fact that the gauge *does* work when it gets really hot, so if the transmission ever does overheat, I'll know. When driving in high temps/mountains, I can leave the TripTek monitor on for the transmission temp and keep an eye on it that way.
I can also add that the transmission temp runs uncannily low, and I understand that this too is not uncommon for the rig with the side radiator setup, etc. I'm so used to watching the tranny temp like a hawk on previous rigs, it did take some adjustment on my part to be comfortable on the road.
Just my .02....others may (I hope) chime in!
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the reply. Don't have the trip tex. I have noticed when checking for fluid quanity using the transmission selector it reads low sump temp and will not give me the level of the tranny oil. Thanks again for the reply it helps to relieve the gauge problem.
rjsracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You bought used...is it possible that a PO spent a lot of time in the mountains and added a tranni radiator for extra cooling? So the sender is designed for a higher average temp? There are some mountains around Flagstaff as I recall.

I wouldn't trust most FL shops with my RV. They know trucks best and RVs seem to be a bother to them in most of their shops. On the other hand, you'd kind of expect them to be sharp about something going on with the tranni and display system.

Please evaluate your experience at RVServiceReviews.com here's a link to the Flagstaff FL shop: RV Service Reviews

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hi rjsracing.
We also have a Winnie 04 Vectra AD. Our tranny almost always seems to run uncannily cool. It is now to the point that if it indicates temp. at all, I watch it like a hawk but it never gets past the O in normal. I also thought that the gauge might not work well, but have on occasion noticed it climb when she works uphill. Hope all works out well for you but I do not think that the cool temp is an issue. Good luck.
Daniel
DanGlo52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Purchased our 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD last June 15th. Soon noticed that the trans temp gauge was not working until we left Seattle for our trip to Florida. While going over the Rockies in Montana I noticed the needle was straight up on normal. So far in 6,000 miles that was the only time I have seen it move. Very happy with this rv.
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have the 2004 Horizon 40AD and it is not easy to get the gauge temperature up I thought the thing did not work either. We went to Alaska last summer and it definitely worked in the mountains It is kind of annoying when you want to check the transmission level from the key pad.