Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Tour owners with rear camera problems?

So as to not hijack another thread (42 Tour) I saw someone posted they were very happy with their 42 Tour and the only problem they had was the rear camera stopped working. I am curious, mine also developed a problem of dropping in & out and they sent me a switch box to fix the problem. Still not sure yet if the problem has been fixed as I have not taken the coach out since the fix. Another person who has the same year and model as ours also had the same problem. Is this something anyone else has been experiencing? If so, what was the cure for your fix? Thanks
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

LazyDays replaced our camera in Seffner. Steve (technician) showed me that the wiring connections were held together by masking tape. It shorted out.

Coming back west the left camera (in mirror) stopped working. Masking tape again..had the tech check the right side camera, you guessed it. Tech used twist connectors and good electricians tape. Short story...all is well now.

Our chassis was built either March/April 2012, we bought it in Sep 2012.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Two-Niner: Thanks for the reply. Masking tape....huh? What mine does is you will be driving along and all of sudden the screen says "no signal detected". It will not come back on until you turn the key off and back on. I am now thinking it is the camera. You got me wondering if the connections at the camera may be loose based on what you said about the masking tape. I'll check and get back to you. At first they said it was the switch box located under the dash. This box is where the radio, GPS and power comes from. All RCA plugs and easy to replace. Thanks for the reply and help.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yep, have been having problems for about a year. It was first with the one side camera and ten the ohter. Disconnected both at the switch under the dash. Don't ever use them anyway. Everything fine until last month when the rear camera started to go out and then in. My first thought is the switch, but also will not rule out camera itself. I have done a search to find a direct replacement for the switch, but the exact switch does not come up. Fun Time, did you get your switch from Winnebago?
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

RBK: That switch box and our whole radio, gps etc. are all products of Riverpark in IN. They are a supplier for Winnie and other MH mfgs. You can call them and get the switch box, very easy to install. Winnie service will give you their number. I usually have their number but for some reason I cannot locate it....sorry. They are great people to deal with. Very accommodating. Ask for Mike in technical. I think my problem is in the camera. I know they have had some issues along the way with the camera from what I have been hearing. I am going to check my connections first then call them and replace the camera. Keep us posted on your progress and I will post my progress so we can get to the bottom of this.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Update: Today I opened the rear access hatch on the top rear of the coach that allows access to the rear camera. No masking tape was found at the connector. Actually, it was very well done to my surprise. If you have never looked at the rear camera, it is very small and fairly easy to replace. I am going to disconnect the camera and bring it inside the coach and plug into the switch box direct to see if I get the same symptoms as when it was hooked up via the coax. If I do, then it is the camera. If not, then it is the coax. I could also hook it up to the one of the outlets on the switch box for the side cameras and see what it does as well. I will get back to you on the results.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

FunTime, thanks for the reply on the switch. I will give riverpark a call about it. I also opened up the access to the rear camera. I observed that the cable was dangeling down inside and presumably swinging back and forth and framming into the outside wall while under way (which is when I experience the problem, never when stationary). I also noticed the electrical tape around the connection was beginning to unravel. When I took the connection apart, there was what appeared to be a little corrosion in a couple of the pin sockets. So, did a little clean out of the pin holes in the socket with a sewing needle, re-taped it, and stablized the connection to the camera bracket with a wire tie. Will see if the problem is re-solved this weekend while on a tirp and report back.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Back from a 5 day trip (about 300 miles) and the camera worked flawlessly. I always keep the rear camera on either the primary or auxillary monitor. I never got the nasty gram on the primary monitor telling me "no video detected", nor did the auxillary monitor ever go blank. I am calling my rear camera issue resolved (at least for the moment).
Old 06-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

UPDATE: Replaced the rear camera with a new one. Not a hard job at all. Winnie left us a nice little hatch in the middle top rear. Two screws and your ready to replace the camera. I found no corrosion at the connectors and the old camera looked fine but that does not tell all. The whole job took 1/2 hour. The longest part of the job was the company that powder coats the exterior of the cameras sprayed the screws insets where the mounting bracket goes. It took 15 minutes to scrape out the paint so the screws would go in. Must have come from China.
So far, all is good but will take it out on the road for the final test. Thanks for everyone's replies and help.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hello fun time and RBK394,

You guys are awesome, thanks for all the info on the camera. My question is, I would like to reposition the camera so I can see a little further back. Can you adjust the camera or is it fixed?

Thanks for the info.
Les
goldviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #11

I had my camera system installed after I bought my RV. Installed sodered all wire connections and used silicon tape instead of electrical tape. My rear camera pans L&R and tilts 180 degree at the push of a button.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

"My question is, I would like to reposition the camera so I can see a little further back. Can you adjust the camera or is it fixed?"

Goldiver: Good question. I can not tell that for sure right now since I just took my rig to get some maintenance performed on it. But, I do remember seeing three or four screws on the sides of the camera which might allow you to do some adjustments. I would be surprised if you can't somehow adjust it. I know that on my previous vectra, I was able to. It is really easy to remove the cover and take a look. I found it easier to remove it by getting on top of the rig.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I can only speak for the 42 Tour model but other Tours may be the same. Yes it is very easy to reposition the camera. If I remember right, you can reposition the camera by unbolting the mount that attaches to the coach that holds the camera. This will allow you to move the whole assembly front or back which will give you what you need. I did just that so I could not only see my toad but also behind it. There are 6 Allen bolts that hold the camera to mounting bracket that attaches to the coach but I don't think by loosening them it will get you what you need but maybe. Hope that helps.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info fellas.

I will give it a try.

Les
goldviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I also wanted to reposition the camera for a look further back. It was easy enough, but there was one small kink . . . .the hex head fastener they used to secure the camera on my Itasca was 8mm. I have seldom seen an 8 MM hex head bolt, but there it was , staring me in the face. Luckily, I was able to loosen the little fink and get the camera into my position. If it wasn't for a buddy with a sears 6,000 piece hex bolt set, I'd still be there doin' a war dance & cussin' at it.

Tags
camera