Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2005, 09:12 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Chassis wise:

1999 was the first model year for the V10 Ford chassis. It was the first chassis to be designed for use as a wide body RV. The wider front track was the biggest change. 2004 was the next round of changes, but they were lesser than the 1999 changes. 2006 introduced the 3 valve V10 and 5 speed transmission.

Workhorse answered Ford's improved 1999 chassis with the 2000 model year W series chassis. Just because it's a "Workhorse" chassis doesn't make it a W series. The P series soldered on for quite a few years in the smaller coaches.

So chassis wise, I'd be looking at a 1999 up Ford, or 2000 up W series Workhorse. I think that puts you safely into what you were already looking at.

(We're happy 2004 Adventurer 31Y owners, love the shorter length. Mom's got a 1999 35C, we're both happy with our V10s. I tow a little, she doesn't. Drove a Workhorse once, didn't think it was a HUGE difference, to each his own.)

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:10 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Lee & Susan

We just traded up from a 93 31' Brave last year to a 02 Adventure Workhorse chassis.

We just love it and the Workhorse chassis is top notch in my books. If I ever trade again it will difinitely be a Workhorse!!

The only negative we have found so far is the spare tire.

We have made two excellent trips from Florida to the West and can't wait until our next summer vacation

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:50 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

We have a 02 Adventurer 35U on a Ford chassis and has been great. No issues that needed repair other than little minor problems that anyone could repair. The Ford has been a trooper and has never had brake problems or spark plug wires burning issues like the workhorse chassis. I sometimes wonder if I just got a great motorhome by luck or do all Winnie's hold up this good. If I were to buy another gasser tomorrow, it would be another Winnebago on a Ford chassis.

07 F350 Dually Ford Diesel
R Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:58 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Here you guys go again with the battle of Ford vs Chevy, and thats alright. Now I'll say my pitch. There are better products out there, with better customer service on the same chassis and they are not a Winnebago product.
You could do yourself right, if you looked at other maunfactures products and find out what their owners have to say.

radarr
Old 11-23-2005, 04:08 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

We purchased, Oct 8th.,2003 our first Motorhome 2003 Itasca Sunrise 36M on 2002 Ford chassis , it was used with 8,628 miles on it. It was one year old the original purchaser bought it in Oct., 2002. My first experience driving a MH, drove it home to Michigan from Indiana 360 miles. Enjoyed it. We have put a total of 16,000 miles to date, 25,000 miles all together. We love the side isle floor plan, this floor plan is also available on older 36W Chieftain and Sunflyer models.

Sometimes I am tempted to purchase the bilstien shocks when I read posts like:
"(Bilstein Shocks for Ford Motorhome F53 Class A '98-'03 (V10 Triton) Oem Replacement Driving a vehicle equipped with Bilstein Gas Pressure Shock Absorbers is an exhilarating experience. There is, quite literally, nothing like it. Unbelievable control and stability. Precise handling. Ultimate performance. Incredible comfort.)". However I do not see any serious problems with the current ride with the original shock absorbers. If I was sure that the change in the ride would be a night and day difference as posted many times on these forums I would invest the $500. Ford did change to Bilstein's in mid 2002 however my chassis does not have the Bilstein'

One advantage to buying used is from the beginning we have no dealer or dealer service to complain about. The little things that go wrong you try to fix it yourself. Any other problems I usually contact the manufacturer of the appliance or part and find available service through the appliance or part manufacturer they can suggest many of their authorized service dealers, and have had good luck so far.

I would stay with Winnebago if I were to change however I would not purchase new.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:42 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Hear from another satisfied Ford Chassis owner,2001 and running like a gem. This chassis has been a diamond, the V-10 just doesn't give up. It will pull,pass, cruise without effort. I have not spent a dime on repairs of any kind. I will venture regardless of chassis, the brake fluid should be changed every 2-3 years. I just had mine changed and it looked like clear molasses from the moisture it had collected. While I am generally happy with Winnebago, I have had a lot of repair on their part of the Mo/Ho.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 02:05 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

If anyone has paid attention, this topic is more then two years old. Has it taken two years for you to decide which way you are going to go? Normally, these topics will die off in a couple months or the site drops old postings, but this one sunck through the time period.

radarr
Old 11-24-2005, 06:08 AM   #28
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Radarr:
.. this topic is more then two years old. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>radarr, It's the same ol' phrase that we see repeated time and again, "What was old is now new again!"

We do get a lot of mileage from rooted posts and it's refreshing to see the dedication on some folks part that would research their choices 12 or more months back.

Some posts like this one are timeless...
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:31 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Hi Folks,

We have a 2003 Brave 32 foot Brave (now called the 33 foot Voyage) with the two slides and the Workhorse chassis. I have the P32 chassis with the 8.1 Liter engine and the 4 speed transmission. We love the motorhome. The 33 foot models use roof top air conditioners, which we upgraded to heat pumps, which we would strongly recommend. Two points; The basement heatpumps eliminate one basement storage compartment. Second, by having two roof tops, we can set the temperature in the bedroom differently from the living area. That's handy when one of you goes to bed while the other stays up. If you are like us, we like the bedroom cooler than the living area, and the separate heatpumps allow us to do that very easily. Otherwise, you have to close vents to try and create the separate living conditions.

It was important to us, but maybe not for you.

Good luck - We love Winnebago and have had excellent service from our dealer and the factory.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 11-27-2005, 01:16 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Lee and Susan: We have a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 33V and are selling it. It can be seen on the RV classifieds in IRV2.com. If you are at all interested, please contact us at [email protected]. It is in great shape and has an extended warranty till 50,000 miles or 2010. It has only 18,000 miles on it now.
airborne is offline   Reply With Quote