Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-19-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Thoughts after placing order on new Sightseer 35J

I have been in the process of ordering our new coach and decided to go the extra for the full body paint. At age 51 with both kids through school and house paid for we where ready for a new coach. We want the motorhome payment to be the only payment we have and just a regular loan nothing to do with tying down the house if something would happen to me. In 9 weeks it should be at the dealer and a dream come true for both of us will come true. That said I can not stop feeling guilty about spending 107,300 dollars on this new coach. That is more than I paid for my house in 1987. I know that was a long time ago but to me it was a once in a life time deal. I am worry about what my family friends and even my kids will think. I know we do not have to say how much it was but most people are going to look on the internet and see the msrp at around 138,000 and think that is what we paid. There are more and more of my friends that have died at a early age one guy was only 54 . Right now we have our health I have a good job and we can swing the payment as it will be the only one we will have. If any of you have been through this please chime in . Is this normal and did you go through this to. The bottom line is it is our money and our debt but with the World in the way it is in and Japans troubles it is hard not to have some guilt. Also is the gas prices and all but we got through 4.25 a gallon in our 2003 30B so we can do it again . Well I have rambled on long enough but going to the GNW last summer and going through the plant was the biggest factory and our dealer which is a helps our WIT club get buy. Again Thanks for this great site and if you have been through this give me your insight on how you handled it.
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Why anyone feels guilty about bettering themselves because they can afford it is beyond imagination in my book. You wanted to do it, you worked for it, you earned it, you therefore deserve it. Always remember that nothing is stopping anybody from having as much as they want - it depends upon how hard they want to work for it.

Feeling guilty about your wealth is noble, but nobody will care when you're gone, and fewer will remember as each year passes. We're all here for a good time, not a long time - therefore, Enjoy!!
Old 03-19-2011, 06:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

CT, I went through similar thoughts when we purchased our Damon a month ago. I was concerned of what the extended family might think as they are not in a financial situation where they could even think about buying an RV. Bottom line in my mind, we have worked hard and made lots of sacrafices in order to be able to make the purchase. Do I feel a little guilty, maybe a little, but like I said before, we made sacrafices inorder to do this. Like you eluded to in your post, you never know when the end will be, so "live like you were dying" and enjoy every minute of it. Everyone should be HAPPY for you two and if they are not...well, maybe you don't need that negative influence in your life. BTW, evyone is happy for us and want us to visit
Slothsaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the kind word This is a great site with great people .
Old 03-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hi Ct,
I second what the others have said. You have earned it and you deserve it. When we made the decision to purchase a motor home, we planned, sacrificed, saved for a year, and now have put in our order. I'm not going to feel guilty for buying something that I have worked very hard for. Enjoy your new toy.If it will make you feel better you could share the wealth and offer one of your family or friends a cheap vacation, take them camping with you. They will probably love it and you'll all have a good time. When we ordered our unit we made sure that the couch opened up to a full sized air bed just so we could do this.
Enjoy, Todd
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I think your concern is a good indication of your good character - thinking of others first. Also, it is normal to see your own morality thru the loss of friends and co-workers. I don't see a lot of 1,000 year old folks around - so we might as well get out there and live life up while we have the health to do it - and don't worry about what others think if you are comfortable with your decisions. Humm It must be Sunday :>)
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I totally get it, and have that same "feeling" whenever we buy something large-scale. Even though you did everything the smart way, there's always that feeling of the unknown and all the "what-if's" that may or may not happen. You can drive yourself nuts worrying about all the uncontrollable possibilities!

The important thing to remember is that while we can't control the future, we want to be as smart possible about setting ourselves up well to anticipate the myriad of situations that may arise -- and you've done just that. You've got a plan -- you're young, are in good shape to pay this off, are not in over your head, and if anything should happen you have resources and options for getting out from under the rig without putting your overall or long-term financial future at high risk.

Now, the trick is to refocus that 'what-if' mindset, and start enjoying your very bright string of today's. And what a rig to start that journey in! WOW!

Enjoy!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct78barnes View Post
I am worry about what my family friends and even my kids will think.
A wise man once told me..."What other people think about you is none of your business."

Life is short...enjoy your coach, you've earned it.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks again it must be Sunday and having 9 weeks for Winnie to build it is a long time to ponder . But with all you great people on this site I feel the time will fly I hope again a great big THANKS
Old 03-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
A wise man once told me..."What other people think about you is none of your business."

Life is short...enjoy your coach, you've earned it.

Had to show this to my wife as we'll be in a similar situation in the next year. There is so much truth to that statement.

That said as other have said go for it you earned it and no we have no idea how long we have.

My father wanted to wait until he retired before getting his small fishing boat and truck. Guess what after years of having a drycleaning store and chemical splashes in his eyes he started going blind at 64.

His retirement has meant no driving and being legally blind.

So like the others congrats on the new coach and let's hope you get to enjoy it.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Ct;

When I purchased my current coach I had similar feelings but I soon got over them. I called my kids together and told them "your mother and I are spending your inheritance now. When I die if there is any money left it will be due to poor financial planning on my part". They told us to enjoy our live together as best we can as they are able to provide for them selves. Hope to see you on the road somewhere. By the way I believe you purchased your MH from a great company.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

hi ct

i think it is important to focus on ENJOY of all this

i do not see it as "you deserve" like some have commented
i see it as "what one person chooses to do may not be the same as someone else"

so people think we are crazy to be selling our house and going to live in our suncruiser full time;
- maybe we are
- maybe we aren't
but it is our choice!

and it is what we think we will enjoy - for we sure have been enjoying our suncruiser so far :-)

regards, pdq
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Yesterday is gone forever, you can't change it. Tomorrow is never promised. today is here now and should be lived to the fullest. If you worry about tomorrow you are not living today to the fullest.
lincoln30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_bc View Post
hi ct

i do not see it as "you deserve" like some have commented
Just curious, what's the problem with telling someone they derserve to enjoy the fruits of their hard work?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln30 View Post
Yesterday is gone forever, you can't change it. Tomorrow is never promised. today is here now and should be lived to the fullest. If you worry about tomorrow you are not living today to the fullest.
This statement is so TRUE!!!!!!! My boss and good friend told me along time ago we are just a speck on a round ball spinning in space and time here is short and enjoy it since you may be gone tomorrow...... I took this saying to heart and live my life to the fullest of my ability....I am 45 and my home and cars are paid for. I have sacrificed to get to this point which i feel is a early age in life for this accomplishment.. I went with out a lot of things so my wife and i could do this and enjoy our life together till the end... I don't bother to worry about what others think or say usually if you look at those people they are the one who have more than they can afford and regret not doing what some have done to get to this point... I SAY ENJOY YOUR COACH AND DON'T LOOK BACK AND SAY TO H*LL WITH ALL THOSE WHO MAY CONDEM WHAT YOU DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... You will will not be disappointed with your life journeys which others are nothing but ENVIOUS of your great accomplishment in life to get where you are and to see where you have been on your glorious journeys!!!!!!!!!!!! : dance:
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Life is to short to be bogged down by negative thoughts, and more importantly negative people. You or anyone can have anything in the world they want, you just can't have everything, no one can. You pick and choose those things that are important to you and enjoy life to the fullest.You need not feel bad nor apologize to anyone for those things that you've worked hard for, and sacrificed for!
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I spent 26 years in the Marine Corps. Another 19 years at another job with a good retirement plan. House and 2 cars paid for. We owe no one! Report to know one!
We are buying our first new mh and have gotten the same response from our "grown" kids and some friends........... Why are you doing this?
Because we CAN is my answer.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

We pondered a long time while deciding what we wanted in our new coach prior to ordering it from the factory. We both felt terribly guilty for approximately 10 seconds then we patted each other on the backs for doing it the way we did. If the kids don't like it it's none of our business how they feel. After working and saving our entire lives please don't hint to me we don't deserve it.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

We shopped around, compared prices, worked our best deal and bought what we wanted. We don't drink, smoke, spend needlessly or have any costly hobbies except traveling, so this is how we chose to spend our money. This is OUR life and no one else is going to live it for us. If you are always looking back you'll never see the road before you. Enjoy life, you get one shot at it.
we3peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I thought I felt guilty when I spent 3k on a zero turn mower! :( I'm with the rest of the folks here, you've done your time and should have something to show for it. It doesn't matter what you paid as long as you love what you bought and it makes your life better. DW and I were talking about our "when" and decided it's in 6 years when DD starts college. Enjoy your rig we will just seeing pictures of it!

Ron & Wendy 94 Pace Arrow 454
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote