Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Think I'm deciding on a Journey

Hi Everyone

I'm looking for a 2000-2002 Pusher

I'm really liking the looks of the Journey's. For those of you who have experiance with them, what can you tell me that's good or bad

Thx
laserit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have owned a '01 Journey 32T since '01 and we love it. It is a great size and floor plan and suits us very well. We had the usual break-in issues early, but we think it is a quality product and I believe that Winnebago products built in those years have a very good reputation.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We have a 2000 Journey 36' and it suits our needs. Not the fanciest but also not the most expensive. Runs great and rides smooth.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have had our 05 39k for two years now and love it. We upgraded the OEM shocks and added a Safe T Plus. Floor plan is every thing we need.

It is tough to find a newer coach that would move us out of this coach.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have owned 2 Journeys. Great coach. I would opt for the 6 speed Allison transmission as first priority from a running gear standpoint. Floorplan comes next (I'm a techie).

We have the 34' and love it. Great manuverability especially in state parks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
We have a 2000 Journey 36' and it suits our needs. Not the fanciest but also not the most expensive. Runs great and rides smooth.
We have the Itasca Horizon; it's essentially the same coach as the Journey. One thing I really like about Winnebago/Itasca is the availability of manuals for the early models. I now have a complete collection of owner's manual, wiring diagrams, generator manuals, etc. Other brands may be the same; this is my only motorhome. Previous RVs were all trailers.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We have had our '02 Horizon 36' for 9 years, and it continues to be trouble-free. No leaks; it drives very nice. Everything works just as new, including the surround-sound entertainment system, with no hum or buzzing. I put a 26" flat-screen TV in the bedroom, and plan on replacing the front TV too, although the picture on that set is really very good. But it's old format.

Had a few issues when we first got it back in 2003,(we're the 2nd owner). Since then, I've only done routine maintenance, and some upgrades. Nice unit; just inspect it as you would any pre-owned. Good luck.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Good choice. We bought our 02 32T new in 02. Since then we put on 166,000 miles and plan on another 166,000 if health permits. It has never been towed and never left us stranded with the exception of a fan belt broken in Alaska.
The only thing I would be concerned with is the 99-03 had problems with the lift pump which if not addressed will cause the injector pump failure. Had to have both replaced at about 60,000 miles. Great coach with great factory support from both Winnebago and Freightliner.
Any questions or concerns send me a private E-Mail. Hope this helps.

Charlie Tuit
02 Journey, 166,000 miles
XL-7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We have an 05 34H Journey and really love it. Have had really good luck with it and it has the 350 Cat with the 3000 Allison trans. The coach really hauls along and just eats the hills. However, being full-timers we wanted more room that the 2 slides we have so we are trading it in on a 05 Horizon 40KD w/4 slides. We love the Winnebago/Itasca MHs and have been to the factory to watch them being built. I don't think you can go wrong with one of their coaches. Good Luck and Happy RVing!
Jackhal1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I second the great resource that Winnebago and Itasca provides by way of downloadable .pdf's, such as the brochures which allow you to view the available floorplans in specific model years. -RT

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...ourney-bro.pdf

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...orizon-bro.pdf

RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Almost two years ago Pat and I flew from FL to AZ to pick up our '03 Journey. We had had it surveyed but had no clue what we were doing...thank goodness for this site which we used as we drove our new to us coach home. We had never even owned a pop-up before, so we really were newbies. We love the Journey. We have replaced batteries, the inverter, the board for the 'fridge and the heui pump because we had to. We replaced the tires, sofa, recliner, dinette and window treatments because we wanted to. We have added gauges, See-Level system, tire monitors and a bunch of other items. Again, we love the Journey. We have driven from Arizona to Florida, From Florida to Maine and back, from Florida to Montana and back and from Florida to the Carolina coast and back. WE LOVE THE JOURNEY.

That being said I would warn you about two items:
Our windshield broke...when it was removed it was obvious that rust had caused it to break...fortunately for me the repair shop gave me two days before they put the new glass in, allowing me time to sandblast the frame, coat with Ospho, prime and paint. In your case I will look for signs of rust behind the rubber trim around the glass (especially on the "fingers" that support the windshield) and on the interior trim (rust stains).
Our heui pump failed....$2,900 to replace...no indications before failure that there was an issue. I have read that this was a problem with Cats built around 2002-3. In your case i would try to find out if the pump had ever been replaced. I don't know what you could do beyond that.

Finally, as someone said previously, the ability to access all kinds of records from Winnebago is priceless.

Good luck with your search
Marinelender is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey