Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #1

Tell me about your Journey

We have our eyes on a 2017 Journey 43E. What do you think of yours? Is the fit and finish good? Have you had any big problems? Has it held up well? How is the drive?
We have only seen them online but we are planning a 5 hour trip to take a look at one in North Carolina.

This one has the perfect floor plan for us. This particular floor plan has only been out a few years and it is the one we want. several manufacturers have the same one. I'm not interested in looking at older coaches.

Thanks!
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We really like ours, it drives great, has plenty of power and has a well thought-out floor plan. We have had very few small issues and only one significant one, that being a slide failure of the front drivers side slide. The fit and finish compares well with coaches that are a step up in price but there is always room for improvement. One bonus of the Journey, is that it has more basement storage space than any other coach that I'm aware of.
Brent
Old 08-13-2016, 04:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We took delivery of our 2016 40R last November and lived in it all winter. Fit and finish is much better than units in that price range. Cabinets are very well made.

Lost the front furnace mother board the first night. Broken bathroom door lock. Electric entry lock not functioning. Leak on cold water connection for washer. Half bath door wouldn't catch. Cheap add on latches for residential frig door failed. Matrix HDMI switch gave us trouble. Small windshield leak at top. Called a mobile tech for the furnace paid for by Suburban. Fixed everything else myself because I wanted it done right the first time.

Journey drives like a dream. It has massive amounts of power even in the mountains out west. Have averaged 7.2 mpg over 7K miles. I usually drive about 65-68 mph. However, it will cruise all day long at 75 mph without wandering or tiring my out.

Yes, the storage is phenomenal. Had empty space inside and underneath even with everything needed for four months.

FYI: Don't waste money on the very expensive underneath freezer. I bought a cheap Chinese 1.3 cubic foot job and it fit like a glove.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have 2012 36M still drives like new. Of course there have been a few problems, mostly found during our first trip, and handled well by our local dealer.

Biggest problem happened recently....
Had a heater hose to start leaking, which I found strange. Turns out, the hose was never secured with all the other hoses and cables on that side of the engine ( passenger sides) and it rested underneath the Turbo housing. The hose became brittle, and cracked. Thank God in Heaven we made it home.

I spliced a new piece of hose on, and re-routed that sucker.

Overall, we have LOVED our Journey.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We hunted for a year prior and fell in love with the floor plan. It has a tremendous amount of storage both in the coach and underneath. The fit and finish is what we expected in a Winnebago, not overly flashy, sturdy and well designed. We liked the trim level, not flashy, understated. We love the residential fridge and are sometimes at a state park with 30 amp, so the LP for heat or hot water comes in handy. I think the 42E is now all electric. Not sure what else has changed.

It drives well, not really in a hurry set cruise at 58-60mph and get 8-9 mpg, depending on area, better in flat south, less in hills of northeast. I tow a Ram 1500, don't even know it's there.

We have the Schwintek slide system on 2 slide. Keeping fingers crossed each time they deploy or retract. New system seems better. I would recommend it highly
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs up

Picked up our new 2016 40R Journey on June 26th. Have only been out twice for an overnight each time so no real long experience. It is at the Winnie shop for some "minor" warranty work. Sirius XM antenna doesn't work on the road, none of the sensor lights work in main control panel, bad rattle in vent fan compartment over stove and neither electric or propane hot water works. Hot water heater is probably linked to main control panel problem. Since the water is heated when you arrive at your destination, we have managed otherwise. Navigation does not work. All of these problems should have been noted by the dealer before delivery and they are located 150 miles away so we are using one nearby. Other than the minor inconveniences we love it. Had a 2004 33V Itasca for 12 years prior to the Journey and loved it but wife wanted a washer/dryer and residential fridge. Don't think you can go wrong with the Journey!
Cherokee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Cherokee9; The reason you have hot water upon arrival is that the engine heats the hot water tank while driving, there's a radiator loop going around the hot water tank that heats it while driving.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2010 40L, and love it! We purchased used in 2015 with 10,000 miles on her. We have made some interior modifications. Right now we are having a problem with out basement air, keeps tripping the under the bed circuit breaker and our dealer cannot seem to duplicate the problem to fix it. We told them the nr 1 compressor has been drawing higher amps. Hopefully they can fix it? Any suggestions would be helpful too.
Roamn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:20 PM   #9

We got our 42E a few months ago because of the floorplan. We had been shopping a year or so. The floorplan is perfect for us.

We have had no issues with fit and finish - very well put together. We do have the Schwintek slide system, and we also cross our fingers and go into prayer each time we deploy the slides but so far, so good.

the one you're looking at will have the Aqua Hot, (nice bonus), a little better TV arrangement in the bedroom, multiplex switch system, and the newer power gear slide system. I don't know what ACs they use now, but I do complain of the noise and rumble from the Mach 8 ACs on ours. The upgraded fan kit helped noise outside, but they are still noisy as heck inside.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Are the Schwintec slides finally gone for 2017??
Old 08-19-2016, 04:02 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2005 36G. I think the coach has very good fit and finish. Winnebago has it's own cabinet shop and I love our cabinets. I have owned 7 motorhomes over the last 25 years and my Journey is the best. I have owned Americoach, Beaver, Safari, and Newmar. The other three have been Winnebago. (Warrior , Brave, and Journey).
Old 08-20-2016, 05:27 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

R supersonic I believe they did away with the Schwenteck in the 2016 year group.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:00 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
R supersonic I believe they did away with the Schwenteck in the 2016 year group.
That is correct. I believe they actually did away with Schwenteck mid to late run on the 2015 model.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey