Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tail light housing - 2001 adventure 35u

Tail light housing is pulled away from the body , looking underneath can't see where to tighten up. Any advice?
Phiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Checking the Winnebago site, I see no clear pictures of the rear, so I will go with some "common" thoughts as being what you might find. The rear lights on my unit were just screwed into the fiberglass and they became loose over time as the screws worked loose, reaming out the holes slightly. That left me to remove all the screws, pull the light off and then add small blocks of wood at each corner to give the new screws something more solid to grab. I used small blocks of 1X 4 at each corner and clamped and glued them in place with Liquidnails construction adhesive although there are likely to be lots of different glues that would work as well. All the glue needs to do is hold the wood while I drilled guide holes for the new screws. Since I was there, I also made sure the rubber seal was good or added silicone to waterprooof the whole unit to keep leaks out of the backside of the RV.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You're talking about the whole assembly, right? Mom had one come off once. I'll have to ask her how it went back together, I didn't fix it, she was on a trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2001-Winnebago-Adventurer-35_(4_of_28)[1].jpg
Views:	317
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	170625  

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sorry, my info was totally off as you have a far different mount. What portion is coming loose? The lens portion or the whole fiberglass section?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have a 2002 Suncruiser 35U and my whole right tail light assembly fell off, fortunately as I was pulling out of my storage yard. You need to fix it before it falls off on the road. What you need to do is remove the plastic lenses and there are mounting screws underneath the lenses. The lenses themselves snap out by pinching them inward, lengthwise, but be careful. You may need to use a screwdriver or other thin tool between the two lenses to apply pressure. In order to prevent a reoccurrence, I attached a piece of aluminum over the old holes on the body with 3m VHB double sided foam tape and drilled new mounting holes for new screws.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I have a 2002 Suncruiser 35U and my whole right tail light assembly fell off, fortunately as I was pulling out of my storage yard. You need to fix it before it falls off on the road. What you need to do is remove the plastic lenses and there are mounting screws underneath the lenses. The lenses themselves snap out by pinching them inward, lengthwise, but be careful. You may need to use a screwdriver or other thin tool between the two lenses to apply pressure. In order to prevent a reoccurrence, I attached a piece of aluminum over the old holes on the body with 3m VHB double sided foam tape and drilled new mounting holes for new screws.
I forgot to mention, don't drill the holes for the new screws in the same place as the old. My rig is in storage so I can't look but you may also be able to thru bolt them if you can access the back of the body panel from underneath.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I don't have access to the back from under the rig. Will try your process
Old 11-28-2018, 04:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The whole mount
Old 11-28-2018, 04:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

This picture shows the entire assembly at the bottom of the ladder
Old 11-28-2018, 06:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiggins View Post
This picture shows the entire assembly at the bottom of the ladder
Pic did not load. Try again.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

You snap off the lens (on a 2001 they may be brittle) to tighten the screws for the light fixture itself while for the bumperette panels screws after you remove the lens you remove the screws holding the base of the light fixture on, remove the base and then you have access to the screws that hold the bumperette to the pilon panel that the rear wall of the coach is made from.

The lights and the bumperettes are just held on with some self threading screws which you will probably have to replace with the next size up.

Be sure to use some caulking on the screws to prevent water from getting into the core of the pilon panel.

On bolting them through you may want to forget about that since then you chance ripping the bottom corner of the rear wall out if you hook a fence slat, etc with the bumperette while with the screws it will just pull out with minimal damage to the pilon panel. Yes the bumperette is really just a fiberglass shell and more for looks than structure however you still want any damage from hooking anything with it to be kept minimal.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #12
CoveredWagon

I had a similar issue with my 2005 Sightseer 29R. While driving through Arkansas I noticed the driver's side tail light housing flapping in the wind! That's when I found out that Winnebago assembles most of the exterior body panels using 2 sided tape! The tape failed! I bought some 3M tape at AutoZone and re-taped the panel, spliced the taillight wires back together, and added duct tape to the outside of the panel. The plastic panel is cracked and disfigured. I attempted to locate a replacement, but found only the passenger side panel. A body shop friend of mine repaired the panel for me. I reattached it using 2 sided tape, and then added stainless steel screws to hold it in place! Looks better than duct tape, and it will not come off again! I even replaced both tail light assemblies using new light assemblies bought on Amazon.com.
CoveredWagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, vent