Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2015, 07:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sunstar LX 35F Purchase

My sister is looking at a Sunstar LX 35F (2016) and pulling the trigger this week, possibly today. She is going from a Class C to the Class A gas for the additional of space and features the Sunstar offers. We have both owned Motor Homes a few years, and have look for months at different brands and models and this one seems to fit her wants and needs.

I have read many threads on this forum, and I can see overall that most owners seem to be very happy with the product. I see the normal posts about problems with slide, plumbing, lights, and I consider this normal for Motor Home ownership, and working out the bugs can be frustrating. I am able to fix most of my coach problems, and can help her when most of these happen, unless it is a major defect or major mechanical issue. I previously owned a Gas A from a different manufacturer, and the quality, materials, and workmanship seem to be much better in this unit than what I have seen in the other major brands.

I would appreciate any feed back from the Winnebago (Itasca) community on your recommendations about the brand, overall happiness, and if there are any major issues we need to consider.
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago 35F (2014)

We have a 2014 Winnie Vista 35F purchased in October 14.....have put approx. 12000 miles on it since - several trips to Keys, southern Florida and Texas with a number of runs to Atlanta and Charlotte NC.......we have
experienced no real problems with the unit and love the L-shaped sofa, the bath and 1/2 and BIG Shower. The outside entertainment system is a great addition....we get between 7 and 8 MPG traveling at 65-70 MPH.
I love the double door refrigerator and icemaker and hubby really enjoys the large screen TV and heater/FP underneath. There is loads of storage space outside and the BR has plenty of closet and drawer space. We spend weekends and also 8-10 weeks in S Florida in January and February. In between, we do several weeks in and around the southeast at other times.
Sometimes we have a grandchild with us who sleeps on the sofa or dinette made into a bed. I believe your sister will really enjoy this floorplan.
Happy Trails to both of you in your RV travels....
Old 07-07-2015, 08:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I pretty much concur with what SAVGirl had to say..

We bought ours in August of 2012 and have had no real issues.. I am very pleased with our RV... We've traveled to the West (Yellowstone) and to the East (Williamsburg) towing a car.. both trips went very smoothly with no issues.. the RV has plenty of power and is very easy to drive.. in fact, my GF does most of the driving.. she really enjoys how easy it is to drive..

Last year (2014) we thought we had a slide issue... and because of everything I read, I worked closely with WBGO.. I actually went to Forest City to have them fix it.. turned out to be a poorly installed gasket.. they fixed that, and a few other things for free.. mind you, we were WELL over a year out of warranty... need-less-to-say, we were very happy..

The one negative, and this is a Ford issue not a WBGO issue, is the harsh 5th to 3rd gear downshift when approaching any kind of incline.. We drive exclusively with the cruise control and we're not a big fan of the high RPM's when this happens.. Recently, I purchased the 5-star "tune".. boy, what a difference it makes.. its like finding the long lost 4th gear... while it may not be something to purchase right away.. do your research and see if it's right for you.. all I can say is.. we are very pleased with the improvement the "tune" gave us..

Good luck !!!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
I pretty much concur with what SAVGirl had to say..

the 5-star "tune"

Good luck !!!
Thank you for your reply - I did buy this for my Ford Gas A that I had - it worked fine and helped on the small inclines, etc.

Thank you SAVgirl for your review and comments - nice to hear.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I agree with the previous posts, also. We have a 15 Vista 35F and just love the floor plan and features, very user friendly. Had a lot of issues when first purchased from glue on the walls to squeaks, and slide issues, but I think we have them all fixed and addressed. So now we are just enjoying the coach. My advice is to make your list of new purchase issues and work with your dealer. ANY doubts or concerns about the fixes, contact Customer Service at the factory to get advice and knowledge. They have the greatest attitude, and sincerely believe they want to help you.

Our travels have been to the factory 2 x (the dealer we purchased the rv 10 minutes from the homested got out of Winnebago-my luck), French Lick, In, out east once, and many local spots within 150 miles or so.

I like playing with the mileage expectations. Around 55-57/58 I can get 8- low 10s mpg, 58-62 it drops to 6+-8., 62+ well, I'm not in that big of hurry. Yes, I seem to also have the infamous Ford hi rpm scenario. I just drive, turn off the cruise with a touch of the res button, reduce the throttle to get the soft downshift to get over the slight incline, and another touch of the res button to activate the cruise again, it's almost automatic.

My aftermarket options were an inline surge protector and inline water filter(not in same line), + a steer safe. Have thought of different shocks, (when towing the toad and going over some road-bridge elevation connections, I think the toad will jump off the Roadmaster), the 5-Star and Banks but seem to get by without these to my satisfaction considering the cost/rewards, so far.

Well, enough rambling. Hope yo enjoy the coach as much as we do.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We'd been looking at motorhomes for a cpl yrs now and we finally decided to get one and after looking for a few months we purchased a new 15 Vista 35F. We looked at a lot of brands and many different lengths and floor plans and my wife fell in love with the 35F practically the minute she stepped into it. We haven't had any issues yet but we've also only had it for a month and only used it once so far. Its like being at home for us in it and we love it. Question for any 35F owners, so we took it to the MX races this weekend and my cousin slept on the bed above the front seats and he said it was super comfortable but he was having the hardest time getting up and down from it. It is supposed to come with a ladder because we didn't get one. I can see two hooks where one would go and it would certainly make getting up there a bit easier :-)
Digger29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Love the floor plan and the product is pretty solid. You will end up joining the group of us that have, made them our own by upgrading soon after you get it. Every thing can always be better.
As far as slideout issues, the 2015/16 have a new system. I have had no issues out of mine.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again for your posts. My sister purchased the Motor Home on Tuesday, and we are picking it up this morning, and headed west. She just retired a few weeks ago, and she is so excited to be getting this unit. I will encourage her to join this forum. I have learned so much from this site on all types of things.

Most people buy a souvenir or T-shirt on vacation, she bought a Class A Motor Home!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitt Itasca.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	99545
Old 07-09-2015, 05:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger29 View Post
Question for any 35F owners, so we took it to the MX races this weekend and my cousin slept on the bed above the front seats and he said it was super comfortable but he was having the hardest time getting up and down from it. It is supposed to come with a ladder because we didn't get one. I can see two hooks where one would go and it would certainly make getting up there a bit easier :-)
Not sure about the Vista, but the Sunstar 35F She just purchased came with a ladder for the bed up front - was under the mattress.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, I could've sworn that my cousin said he looked under the mattress but I'm going to head out there and check right now. Here's a pic from our maiden voyage last weekend. We had so much fun and are definitely hooked :-)

Digger29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2013 Sunstar 35F. We have used it for three to five months a year since new in January, 2013. There were a few issues that all were addressed and fixed within the first couple of months. One issue for us is the very uncomfortable (for us) sectional sofa. We would prefer to have something with two recliners. Winnebago quoted about $7,000 for their Rest Easy sofa including strengthening the slideout and installation at Forest City. We are still looking for a better, less costly solution.

While there is no substitute for our s & b home the Sunstar works while we travel. When home I cannot wait to get back in the road in our Sunstar.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoodofd View Post
Thanks again for your posts. My sister purchased the Motor Home on Tuesday, and we are picking it up this morning, and headed west. She just retired a few weeks ago, and she is so excited to be getting this unit. I will encourage her to join this forum. I have learned so much from this site on all types of things.

Most people buy a souvenir or T-shirt on vacation, she bought a Class A Motor Home!!

Attachment 99545
Wow.. beautiful rig... Congratulations !!!!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:53 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger29 View Post
Thanks, I could've sworn that my cousin said he looked under the mattress but I'm going to head out there and check right now. Here's a pic from our maiden voyage last weekend. We had so much fun and are definitely hooked :-)

Very nice rig and trailer yourself, the ladder was under the mattress of the master bed, not the one up top. We drove 300 miles yesterday, and her only complaint was the microwave had too many rattles (took everything out) - I think it needs something tightened. She will want the 5 Star tune, and probably a rear Trac bar, and she will be set for a while.

Tags
purchase