Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2016, 05:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sunstar 29VE Slideout

I have a brand new Itasca Sunstar 29VE (1 slideout running the full length of the coach) We noticed on our 1st trip that the drain hose that connects to the gray water tank had come disconnected from the tank. We took it back to the dealer and they made it worse by extending the drain pipe that connects to the tank which raised the elbow above the floor level so that it broke a support on the back of the cabinet when we extended the slideout. There is usually a loud pop (more like a bang) as the slideout is moved in and it sounds to my untrained ear that the motor is straining to move the slideout. (Of course I could be wrong about that because I don't know what it is supposed to sound like.)
I believe that the root of the problem has to do with the way the plumbing and electrical lines are routed in the slideout and as it moves in and out, they get tangled up and the drain hose is pulled out of the tank connection as well as who knows what else it it doing. I fully expect the dealer to fix this problem and fix the cabinet damage. So my question to the forum is directed at other Sunstar/Vista 29VE owners. Did any of you have this same problem? If so, did they do to fix it? Were they able to fix it in a timely manner? If not, does the slideout motor sound "labored" as it move in and out?
As I typed this I realized that it is a pretty difficult problem to fully describe, so please ask for clarification any of it is confusing.

Thanks for looking!
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hmm, no comments? Are there any other Vista/Sunstar 29VE owners out there?
I am really worried about this problem. Being an RVing newbie and not knowing how these things work, what do you think the chances are they will want to send it back to Winnebago to get it fixed?
Old 11-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
Site Team

Winnebago engineering is generally really good about routing plumbing and electrical. I would be really surprised if it is a design issue. More like an installation issue. Regardless, really important to have Winnebago fix while under warranty. Wishing you the best in getting this solved!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
Site Team

By the way, I would not feel comfortable with the dealer fix at all. I would contact Winnebago and ask for their opinion. The dealer should uninstall their "fix" and get the job done right.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have a 31BE which has a similar layout with full wall slide and sink/plumbing in same place. I haven't had an problems so far, was a little worried in general with full wall slide and then seeing plumbing having to flex and move with the slide, but no issues after a year and 14000 miles.

That dealer fix sounds worse than the problem...
Old 11-26-2016, 08:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I am giving them one more chance to fix it right. I showed the service manager what the shop had done and he indicated he would be having a "talk" with the service tech that made the repair. He said he would are sure it got fixed properly. We will see.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Good news! Finally got the MH back today an I think it is fixed! At least the drain stays in the tank when slide out goes in and out. And the loud bang is gone. They rerouted the electrical and plumbing lines and zip tied them to be a lot more organized. They also fixed the busted cabinet. We are taking it out this weekend to test it all out. Maybe I can even take a shower in it for the first time.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:07 PM   #8
Site Team

Great to hear and best of luck this weekend!
Old 12-04-2016, 04:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have a 29ve and the slide has worked flawlessly. Not sure what you mean with the "drain hose" to the gray tank unless you mean the drain "pipe" (PVC). I have a question for you Larry...do you feel the one AC is sufficient? We went out west this past summer and felt like we could have used more. Thanks!
rider1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Considering we got ours in November, we have not used the ac yet. We are headed to Gulf shores al over Christmas and may need it then. The furnace seems to work well so far though.
BTW, the weekend trip went great! The slide out worked perfect and the drain stayed in place.. I declare it fixed!
Old 12-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Next time, check out the reviews of where you have your work done on the site RV Sevice Reviews . Might go ahead and give your own review of your dealers work and their resolution as it helps all of us.

I've read that Winnie is fairly easy to work with and if you call and ask them who they think you should go to for repairs in a certain area, you don't have to stay at the dealer you bought from.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

...we eventually had a similar drain hose issue with our main slide kitchen drain, it came slightly detached during in/out movement of the slide. I fixed it myself with a 6" 'flexible' hose connector, rather than spend the time at a dealer or the wait for a factory visit. Hasn't been any problem since.
...sometimes the factories install items by the 'instructions' from the engineering, but fail to really take into consideration the results of 'movement' on the connections, especially in confined areas, under cabinets, thru slide floors, etc., where they aren't readily seen by the owners...
49 US States(including ALASKA) & 10 Canadian Provinces
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

MisterT,
I pretty much agree about the DIY fixes. However this one was wrong from the factory and completely covered by warranty. There was a broken panel (not the cabinet they broke) that needs to be replaced so they are ordered the part and will install it when it gets here. It does not effect the drain or slide in any way, but it will allow a little cold air in when the slide is out.

Tags
slide, slideout