Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-11-2019, 06:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Suggested tire replacement Sightseer 27C

One of the first things I need to do for my new-used RV, is replacing the duallys on the back.
They are 225/70R/19.5 G rating.
Can locals get these or is getting from the online places better and having their installers do them cheaper ?

I already see RV tires (good ones, not chinese junk) are not for the timid price-wise.

Thanks,
Steve
FlaSteve1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:02 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Go Michelin. Find the best price you can and just bite the bullet. I did the XZE rather than the XRV's on my last rig.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Tire selection

Thanks for chiming in on the Michelins, again, after a little research that was the chosen 1st place tire, albeit expensive. If there was a close second what would it be, if any ?

What is the best way way to get price and installation ? Purchase them from a place like Simple or Pricefall, and then finding the installer, or all at once from a truck rv tire place.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 02-12-2019, 09:16 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

There are a lot of opinions out there. You will need a place that can handle the 19.5 (or bigger) tires. RV shops typically charge a premium so google truck tire shops in your area or a distance that you want to drive. They will tell you if they will install internet purchased tires and what price. The key is being an educated purchaser and have a good idea of prices, local and web.
The term truck tire vs RV tire is out there. Since RV tires generally "age" out before they wear out the tire construction is modified a little to reduce weather/sun related damage. They all hold air and will work if price is the main issue. It is all part of being an educated buyer. Talk to a few dealers and you will learn quickly.

You made a comment about the rear tires... The steer tires are more important. If you have to split the cost over time, put new tires on the front and rotate the old fronts to the rear.
Good luck.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaSteve1957 View Post
Thanks for chiming in on the Michelins, again, after a little research that was the chosen 1st place tire, albeit expensive. If there was a close second what would it be, if any ?

What is the best way way to get price and installation ? Purchase them from a place like Simple or Pricefall, and then finding the installer, or all at once from a truck rv tire place.

Thanks,
Steve

Our last motorhome had the 19.5s and we purchased six Cooper Roadmaster RM170 (245/70R19.5) tires from Pep Boys online for about $1200 delivered. We carried them in the coach to a truck tire shop about 20 miles south who charged $20 per tire for mounting and balancing.
We then sold the used tires on Craigslist for $75 each.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I went with the Michelin XZE tires on mine to replace the OEM Goodyear’s that aged out. We did a 3000 mile round trip last summer and the ride was solid, I was happy.

My father in law has a Sightseer 30B and he went with Hankook AH11’s when he replaced his OEM tires due to age, he was happy with them and I will note he spent less then I did. Others on the forums have been very happy with Toyo’s which are also usually cheaper then Michelin.

As the others have said, find a good truck shop for the install, (or the purchase if you don’t buy online) you want someone installing them that is used to working on bigger tires. I bought mine through the tire shop, the price was close enough to online that it was worth it to just do all in one spot.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

There are easily 5 good tire brands I can think of that I've used in 15 years of full timing I'd recommend over the Michelins. They seem to be way overpriced for the service life...which is comparable to many other brands, on shore or off shore made. MANY brands, including Michelin, have tire factories in China, Thailand, Vietnam, and on and on.

You can buy tires from Amazon, with free shipping for Prime members, and Love's Tire shops will often install them even though you didn't buy from them. And they have the expertize and equipment that many shops servicing standard auto tires don't have. Truck tire stores generally are the place to have your RVs tires worked on. IMO.

To compare a tire size you might find to a tire already on your rig, use this Tire Size Calculator

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:09 PM   #8
Let's kill some bugs!

I just put some Korean tires on my rig, 245/70R 19.5 for $225/ea + mounting and balancing. They are AH11 model Hankook tires. They ride great, and get good reports on other RV forums like IRV2. Unfortunately the AH11 model is discontinued. The replacement is AH35 at about $265/ea. which had a weight rating that was higher than I needed for my 22,000lb GVW, so I choose the AH11 since my dealer still had them in stock.

You want to make sure the tires are made for RV's, not for trucks. Truck tires can ride very rough if you get a tire rated for way more weight than your RV weighs.

I shy away from Michelins because my dad had bad luck with them on his RV, however that was 25yrs ago. I also don't appreciate how the French treat Americans when visiting France, (after the US saved their A$$ in WWII) so I boycott anything French, but that's me.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Go Michelin and you can't go wrong. Tires are the most important safety device on your vehicle.......what else touches the pavement? Don't cheap out and you'll never be sorry.
Ran Michelins on our Semi's and never a problem. Tried Yokohama once.........couldn't get any miles out of them. Huge disappointment
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for so many responses

I now have the knowledge in hand about choosing the tires.
Mine are dated 2014 and I know that I will be buying new ones this year, according to date and not tread wear (mileage). They were purchased in 2014 and the mileage since the purchase is less than 2000 miles. Had I not known, I would've just waited. They don't have any sidewall cracks or splitting from the weather, however I am going to replace them as advised as soon as I can, once I have made my choice. We are not planning anything long range until then.
First trip will only be here in Fla less than 400 each way.

Steve
Old 02-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I now have the knowledge in hand about choosing the tires.
Mine are dated 2014 and I know that I will be buying new ones this year, according to date and not tread wear (mileage). They were purchased in 2014 and the mileage since the purchase is less than 2000 miles. Had I not known, I would've just waited. They don't have any sidewall cracks or splitting from the weather, however I am going to replace them as advised as soon as I can, once I have made my choice. We are not planning anything long range until then.
First trip will only be here in Fla less than 400 each way.

Steve
Most RV tires I'm aware of have a 'start having them professionally inspected every year beginning at 7 or 8 years old, replace at 10 years regardless of mileage'. If they're truck tires, I seem to remember the 10 year rule applies there too.

Your tires should be good until 2024. I know there would be many people that would be interesting in buying those from you if you change them this year. This site or iRV2 have a 'for sale' section where you can advertise them. UPS has no problem shipping them, will even wrap them a little.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I agree with Jim. No reason to change for the sake of change. If if doubt, have a "good" tire shop check them. Save the money for something else,,,. The only time tires are bad when that new is damage from a curb or sitting flat for a year.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
One of the first things I need to do for my new-used RV, is replacing the duallys on the back.
Can locals get these or is getting from the online places better and having their installers do them cheaper ?

I already see RV tires (good ones, not chinese junk) are not for the timid price-wise.

Thanks,
Steve
If you are a member of FMCA or considering, check them out for their prices. Michelin, Continental and more. I'm a Michelin Man, myself. Joining FMCA is worth the consideration for the discount!
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Thanks,
Steve

Been on the road since '05. I have put Toyo on 2 coaches. That is what I am running now. Very well made, not China, and much less money than Michelin. I have never heard of side wall cracking on Toyo' either.
This might help: https://www.toyotires.com/commercial...-position-tire
Old 02-17-2019, 10:34 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Steve,

Regardless of what tires you choose, make sure you check the manufacture date (DOT code) on the tires. I recently replaced my 6+ years Goodyear 670 RV tires (245/70R 19.5). I ordered six of the same tires online. When they arrive, two of the tires were manufactured the 22nd week of 2011. Yes, 2011!!! Needless to say, I sent those two tires back.

Good luck!
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:05 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Toyo tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Been on the road since '05. I have put Toyo on 2 coaches. That is what I am running now. Very well made, not China, and much less money than Michelin. I have never heard of side wall cracking on Toyo' either.
This might help: https://www.toyotires.com/commercial...-position-tire
I replaced all six of my 225/70r 19.5 tires with Toyo tires for $1955 installed. They look great, drive great, and N rated (80+MPH).
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:37 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

I have been using commercial truck centers and had them put the Firestone highway tires on the last two times. They last far longer and ride better than the Golden Coin tires so many bargain brands have their own label stamped on.

A big plus is that since they are volume dealers their prices are lower and workers more experienced at correctly installing large tires.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

From everything I've read, stay far away from Goodyear. Look into the FMCA Advantage program...saved us HUNDREDs on Michelin after mounting two sets of Toyos that we could not get balanced correctly. And yes, lear and check DOT date codes.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I know some people will say no way BUT I just bought 4 Michelin 235/80r22.5/g tires from a salvage yard of burnt up motors they where 2015 and like new paid $400.00 for all four, But to each due what you want just telling you there is others
htbotdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:48 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by htbotdvr View Post
I know some people will say no way BUT I just bought 4 Michelin 235/80r22.5/g tires from a salvage yard of burnt up motors they where 2015 and like new paid $400.00 for all four, But to each due what you want just telling you there is others
What a deal!
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, sightseer