Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Steering stabilizer for Class A

I'm thinking of placing a steering stabilizer on my new coach. I see a lot of difference in pricing. Roadmaster is about 1/4 of what Blue Ox is. Does anybody use either these products? And what's your opinion?
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

No experience with those, we installed one on each of our 3 class A motorhomes and always chose the Safe-T-Plus. Never any troubles.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView View Post
No experience with those, we installed one on each of our 3 class A motorhomes and always chose the Safe-T-Plus. Never any troubles.
I have a Roadmaster steering and Blue Ox track bar on mine. It has been two years and I think that both have really helped with sway and wind.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Another happy Safe-T-Plus user. I suspect I would be equality happy with the Roadmaster version. Don't know enough about the Blue Ox stabilizer to have an opinion.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:32 AM   #5
Site Team

I put the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer on my Adventurer Class A. It’s been a great help. It was the first upgrade I made after getting the RV home. I’m not aware of any difference in the Blue Ox product, but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t any, just that I only looked at the Roadmaster RSS.

Since installing the RSS I have also installed SumoSprings and a Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bar. Both of those have been very helpful in improving control on the road.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

My only experience was with a Safe-T-Plus system on my 2008. It was a great improvement. I recommend it. There customer service is great.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:23 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Not a good idea. Unless you want to replace a very, very expensive power steering unit that most likely will require "assimilation" into the "hive" that is the Mercedes CANBUS and computer managed neural network that controls almost every aspect of its performance and safety environment.

It is not at Ford or Chebby chassis. You have a Sprinter 3500 chassis. You need to change the rear shocks and add Sumo Springs bump stops.

PM me if you want more details. Maybe I can help.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Old Crows my coach has the Ford F53 chassis.
Thanks everyone for the feed back.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
Old Crows my coach has the Ford F53 chassis.
Thanks everyone for the feed back.

Good! I guess that would be an "OK" modification then.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The steering stabilizer really took a lot of the sea-sawing out of the steering wheel. We made several modifications as listed below. We did them one at a time and each made a noticeable difference. Very happy with the way the coach drives now!
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Our 2006 Sightseer 29R came with a Blue Ox TruCenter. It only worked sporadically. Finally the solenoid just fell off. So, it just acts like any other steering stabilizer now.

When it worked, it was nice to have. Is it worth the premium over other brands of steering stabilizers? I'm not so sure. I think that they wanted $150 to overhaul the thing if I sent it in to them.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

We've got a 30' Itasca Sunova. She was REALLY affected by the "wave" caused by passing 18 Wheelers. Installed Blue Ox rear Trac Bar. Amazing improvement.
62trebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #13
RDH
Winnebago Watcher

I used roadmaster and also got sway control, a world of difference in handling RV,
I have used other blue ox things both are good companies
RDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:33 PM   #14
2018 Intent 26M Owner

I also have F53 chassis and installed the Safe-T-Plus stabilizer and oversize sway bar on front. In addition I strongly recommend you have complete alignment done by company who does many RVs...All the money you pay for that brand new home you will be surprised to find out that Ford does not align before they send to Winnebago and Winnebago does not align after they put a body on the chassis. The aligner can show you just how far from correct each wheel was before they fix it....it will amaze you and the ride after will be so much better.
feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:41 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

X2 on the importance of a good alignment. And look into added caster, slightly above Ford specs. 6-plus is best. That small caster difference is also amazing on the F53, probably enough straight steering to eliminate your need for a steering stabilizer!
Old 04-22-2019, 05:08 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
X2 on the importance of a good alignment. And look into added caster, slightly above Ford specs. 6-plus is best. That small caster difference is also amazing on the F53, probably enough straight steering to eliminate your need for a steering stabilizer!
Yes to this on the F53 chassis. I had, in mind, to install a steering stabilizer (for the "wandering" I was experiencing). Did the alignment first. Found a shop, after looking at 3 different ones, that had a good F53 chassis mechanic. We talked about my issues and the handling. He gave me a printout of the before and after alignment settings. Set the caster to +7 and toe to 0. Camber was within spec.
I decided to not do the steering stabilizer. Maybe as a safety measure in case of the front tire blowout, but that thought does seem to bother me. I have experienced in other heavy vehicles. Keep a good firm, two-handed grip on the wheel and know what to do in the event of a blowout.
Tire pressure is also important.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:06 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

i added a safe-t-steer and couldn't be happier it made a world of difference. I also added sumo springs and new shocks could drive with one hand on the wheel and very little trucks push.
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:27 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
danhannah, how did you know to increase the caster?
f53Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:30 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T View Post
Yes to this on the F53 chassis. I had, in mind, to install a steering stabilizer (for the "wandering" I was experiencing). Did the alignment first. Found a shop, after looking at 3 different ones, that had a good F53 chassis mechanic. We talked about my issues and the handling. He gave me a printout of the before and after alignment settings. Set the caster to +7 and toe to 0. Camber was within spec.
I decided to not do the steering stabilizer. Maybe as a safety measure in case of the front tire blowout, but that thought does seem to bother me. I have experienced in other heavy vehicles. Keep a good firm, two-handed grip on the wheel and know what to do in the event of a blowout.
Tire pressure is also important.
Phil-T, can you provide the contact info for the mechanic that set the caster? Also, you say tire pressure is important. What pressure f/r have you found to be best for your coach and how does that compare to the motorhome mfg pressure recommendations?
f53Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I would have a look at the "Cheap Handling Fix" first if you haven't done this already. It is a simple change to the anti sway bar mounting. It really made a difference on our last coach - 2013 Thor Daybreak 32H.
Here's the link:
Jade East is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, steering