Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Angry Speedometer quit! Itasca meridian 40u

We are driving down the road & our speedometer quit- we stopped & fueled up all good - left and no speedometer. Everything else working- ideas ? It's a 2014 model
Old 11-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

That's a freightliner issue. I believe it's electronic.

You have a should have a speed option on the info center you could use to possibly get where you need to go, but get it into Freightliner ASAP. It should be covered under warranty.

Cliff
Old 11-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Speedometer

I had issue same as yours about 6 weeks ago. I shutoff all power from the batteries at the cutoff switches and waited 30 seconds and turned them on again and it reset the computer.
All has been fine. Called F/Liner said if it happens again to call them will get me to a shop......they have heard of it before ....good luck (need to change my info have 36 M Meridian 2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Winnebago TT

I had a similar situation and it was a module called the ECM (I think that's what it was called) that went out. It cost about 600.00 to have replaced at the Cummins shop
ScottLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem several years ago.....after numerous new heads and both cummins and Allison techs checking out things,,,a old man at Spartan plant,,with a old fashioned olm meter discovered a blown fuse....since the speedometer was electric,,,a new fuse fixed all problems and no more troubles to date.

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottLee View Post
I had a similar situation and it was a module called the ECM (I think that's what it was called) that went out. It cost about 600.00 to have replaced at the Cummins shop

I had the OD die on my '05 Vectra. When all was finished by Freightliner the OD read all zeroes. They told me it was against the law to set it to the correct KNOWN reading registered in the transmission computer. So, what is your OD reading now?
Old 11-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
Winnebago TT

Mine now says 1300 miles. They also put a sticker on the tire plate so I can just add the two together.
ScottLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottLee View Post
Mine now says 1300 miles. They also put a sticker on the tire plate so I can just add the two together.
I lost money on my coach when trading it in. The dealer penalized me because the odometer was not reading the actual mileage. . I had been looking for this coach we now own for a long time and this was the first one I found that I could afford. Glad we did it. Much more comfortable than my '05 Vectra and not breaking down all the time. We are not trouble free but we are handling them better.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

issues kinda resolved

Many thanks for the responses. We did get to a Freightliner and after checking the computer software in our RV our software was at 7.1 and the most current software upgrade was 14.2. Once they upgraded it - the majority of our issues were resolved. The mechanic said that basically there was a recall on this due to the software - which I don't really understand - heading south to a Freightliner there so they can finish the updates. Very aggravating that there was no notification on the software upgrades so this could have been avoided but I will talk with the good folks at Freightliner and hope this doesn't happen again.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I had the OD die on my '05 Vectra. When all was finished by Freightliner the OD read all zeroes. They told me it was against the law to set it to the correct KNOWN reading registered in the transmission computer. So, what is your OD reading now?
My OD dropped from 53000 to 1500 coming home from the iRV2 Rally at Myrtle Beach. I called Freightliner and they told me they can't by law change the OD back to what it should be like they told you. I can understand why it would be wrong to set the mileage back but for the life of me I can't understand where it is wrong to set it ahead to actual. The pendulum of government regulations swung back to far IMHO.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
My OD dropped from 53000 to 1500 coming home from the iRV2 Rally at Myrtle Beach. I called Freightliner and they told me they can't by law change the OD back to what it should be like they told you. I can understand why it would be wrong to set the mileage back but for the life of me I can't understand where it is wrong to set it ahead to actual. The pendulum of government regulations swung back to far IMHO.

Don
I feel that it has more to do with Daimlar than our government, unless there are special rules for "big rigs" and odometer accuracy. It is a common practice for car dealers to have repaired odometers on cars set to the CORRECT KNOWN mileage. My son's friend does this for a living and is very well employed.

When our odometer failed and Freightliner replaced the faulty module, I contacted the module manufacture. In their legal language (or languish) they would not confirm or deny that the module could be recalibrate but they did say that they had a contract with Daimlar/Freightliner not to do so and they have not released the software programing to the public as car manufactures have.

Thanks for the information about the software update that Freightliner IS authorized to do. I will call them and see if my coach is qualified for it. I just don't want to go through what I did on my '05. I do hope all of your coach issues are resolved soon. What is left that is bugging you?

Tags
itasca, speedometer