Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

slight bucking/missing on 26P Sightseer

I have a 2006 Sightseer 26P with an 8.1L Vortec V8 engine. Last weekend, about an hour into a 2.5 hour trip I started hearing/feeling a bucking or missing sound from the engine. It was running fine and then then bucking started. Initially I thought it was happening only when accelerating in the 58-63 mph zone but once off the highway I continued to feel it. It seems to occur when I put a light amount of pressure on the gas pedal while trying to maintain speed. When I accelerate from a stop or really get on the gas, it doesn’t happen. Once home, I noticed that I had burned more than twice the fuel as previous trips to this same location. I had topped off my fuel tank the week before and driven 1.5 hours on that tank without issue. Since I burned around 50 gallons for a 180 mile trip, I needed fuel and stopped at a different station to fill back up. The bucking continues even with a new tank of fuel. Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?
Old 04-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

A clogged fuel filter will cause bucking and hesitating. I would check that first. The filter doesn't cost very much. The hard part may be finding it. No clue there.
If the filter is easy to get off, you can test it by just trying to blow air though it. Just dump the fuel out, clean off the intake side, put the tube to your lips and blow. If it is easy to blow through it is not clogged.

About the fuel economy. It is easy to miss judge just how much fuel you used in the 1.5 hours of driving before your trip.

I don't know what would cause the engine computer to suddenly decide to tell the fuel injectors to push that much fuel into the cylinders.
I suppose a sensor could be messed up making the engine dump in that much fuel. No idea if a sensor could or which sensor could make that happen.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank-you al1florida fr your advice. So far I have found a spark plug completely broken in half and possibly a bad coil. I will try to find the fuel filter today. If those changes don't fix her I will have to take her in. I agree with your sensor theory. Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumberger View Post
Thank-you al1florida fr your advice. So far I have found a spark plug completely broken in half and possibly a bad coil. I will try to find the fuel filter today. If those changes don't fix her I will have to take her in. I agree with your sensor theory. Thanks again.
She sure won't run well and will loose a lot of power with a broken spark plug and a bad coil. I would guess someone broke it when they changed plugs the last time.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

"Bucking"

My 8.1 was doing the same thing. Turns out, two of the spark plug wires were damaged by heat from the manifold. New plug wires solved the problem, then the same two new wires failed from heat again, and another set of wires, same outcome. My mechanic tried improved heat shields, etc. and they still were damaged by heat. I bought a set of ceramic high performance Accel spark plug wires from Summit Racing. It solved the problem. They are a little costly, but not much more than a good set of regular wires (AC Delco or Ford).

After the fact, I found out that this can be a problem on certain motor homes of certain makes. Just poor air circulation around a particular area of the engine compartment.

I recently bought an extra set because all the wires are the same and can be easily replaced one at a time if they fail.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Bucking, continued

I failed to mention that my spark plug wire problem also had bucking if I had to accelerate to fast or pressed down farther on the accelerator pedal to make it over a hill. And, I didn't have excessive fuel burn.

However, I did mention it because there may be others out there that have had the spark plug wire problem and couldn't figure it out.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I ended up replacing all the spark plugs, the wires, and the bad coil. She seems to be running fine now. Gas mileage is back to normal. I will look into the racing plug wires if it happens again. Thanks everyone for your help.

Tags
light, sightseer