Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2019, 03:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slide lock issue

After extending the bedroom and living room slides on my 2014 Sightseer, the full wall slide failed to move. There were no fault codes. I had E brake set, jacks down, and motor running. I pushed the slide lock on and off quickly and then tried to extend the slide again. It went out about a foot and stopped. By engaging and disengaging the slide lock quickly I was able to eventually get the slide out. I had to do the same sequence to get the slide back in. The other slides worked without problems. I think the issue is with the slide lock mechanism. Any ideas?
HowieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

A stuck slide lock would prevent you from moving the slide at all. I don't think that is the issue, I think the time you used to mess with the slide lock was letting something else cool down maybe?

Here is what the slide lock looks like on top of the slide. It retracts down into the well to deploy the slide.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2019, 08:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thank you. After thinking about it I came to the same conclusion. I thought there might be an electronic safe guard that kept the slide from moving if the slide lock was not completely retracted. Further research indicated that is not the case. Over the last few days I have extended and retracted the slide several times with no problems. I'm hoping it was just a post winter storage glitch.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieB View Post
Thank you. After thinking about it I came to the same conclusion. I thought there might be an electronic safe guard that kept the slide from moving if the slide lock was not completely retracted. Further research indicated that is not the case. Over the last few days I have extended and retracted the slide several times with no problems. I'm hoping it was just a post winter storage glitch.
Kind of sounds like a low battery issue? And after you either ran the engine long enough or plugged into shore power and the converter charged the batteries up enough, that it started to work correctly?

Could that have been the problem?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have new batteries showing 12.8 volts at the time, and I had the motor and generator running.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #6
Happy Camper

Your first problem with the slide lock is it is not a push and release type system, you need to hold the lock button until the lock fully stops. If you can't hear it running as it is a motor that locks the slide then get someone to stand in the center of the slide and tell you when it stops.
fkempf216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I realize the slide lock has to be held until the motor stops. That particular day I quickly pushed the lock/unlock because nothing else was working to get the slide to move. I don't think the slide lock was the issue. The slide has worked every time since I had that problem. Not sure what the problem was and ho poo e it doesn't happen again. I'm having the slides checked next week.

Tags
slide