Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2005, 04:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Yesterday, after returning from only our 6th night of camping, we extended the couch slide and we began gushing hydraulic fluid from the front corner.

We called the dealer (4 hours away) and the earliest he can see us is 4 weeks. We also called HWH at 9am today. They told my husband that their techs were all out but a tech would call. No call and of course it's now the end of the work week. We were quite surprised that we didn't even get a call back nor any suggestions beside the dealer about where we might go for a repair. We have read accolades about HWH on this forum.

What should we expect at this point? There is still some fluid in the reservoir, but we'd be afraid to try to use the MH until the problem has been corrected.

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Yesterday, after returning from only our 6th night of camping, we extended the couch slide and we began gushing hydraulic fluid from the front corner.

We called the dealer (4 hours away) and the earliest he can see us is 4 weeks. We also called HWH at 9am today. They told my husband that their techs were all out but a tech would call. No call and of course it's now the end of the work week. We were quite surprised that we didn't even get a call back nor any suggestions beside the dealer about where we might go for a repair. We have read accolades about HWH on this forum.

What should we expect at this point? There is still some fluid in the reservoir, but we'd be afraid to try to use the MH until the problem has been corrected.

Old 08-13-2005, 04:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum.

I believe there is one pump for the slides and the jacks - are you sure it is related to the slides? Whatever it is, I wouldn't use the jacks or slides until the problem is resolved.

HWH will call you back - you need to hang in there. I'm also working through problems on our new coach - it is frustrating for sure but that's what we have to deal with.

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:16 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

HWH can be a bear to get through to when they're busy but they will get back to you and when they do, they'll be very helpful. I had a few issues on my Suncruiser slides as well, which is one of the reasons I didn't really want hydraulic slides if I could help it. They may route you to a closer HWH service center. HWH has a 3 year warranty on their end of things so you don't have to go to your original dealer to get this covered.

Your coach is still operable. The slides and hydraulics work off a common reservoir and all of the various hydraulic lines run through a solenoid valve assembly on top of the HWH pump unit so they are all unique hydraulic circuits. If your only problem is with that one slide you can still use the rest and most certainly the levelling jacks. You may have to add some more hydraulic fluid to the reservoir if you lost too much but you can still operate the coach. Just don't touch the switch to the bad slide-out. Been there, done that before.

As to your dealer not having time for you for 4 weeks when you just bought a new coach from him and now have an emergency - well I'd be on the phone to him pretty quick. I can understand being busy and scheduling that far out for minor issues but they have to have the ability to prioritize things according to the customer's needs and they're certainly not looking after yours.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:37 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">we began gushing hydraulic fluid from the front corner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To verify, is the fluid coming from behind the HWH control box behind the step or further back? If from behind the control box then this sounds like the same problem we had. There was a batch of HWH solenoids that were not to spec in mid-2004 the seals dried out/failed. They can and will replace them but if you can locate a tech who knows what they are doing it can be faster to have them rebuilt (a couple of hours labor) and get reimbursed by HWH.

When you do finally contact HWH tell them it's a 911 outage.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 11:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the quick responses. We will call HWH back tomorrow am and hopefully get them if we call early enough. I'll let everybody know what happens.

Old 08-21-2005, 05:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Well, we did speak with HWH and they told us that there was no choice--the coach needed to go to the dealer for repair. We called the dealer again and they agreed to take us last Tuesday since I had to travel there for business. Turns out that two solenoids were bad and needed replacing. 10 minute repair, 5 hour drive.