Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Sink Plumbing Fittings '05 Journey

Hi, I'm away front the rig today and shopping for a new sink for the bath, and maybe the kitchen and shower too.

What kind of fittings do these sinks gave, compression or pipe?

Anything special I need to know?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone
Mike
Old 04-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My rig is a 2005 Suncruiser. I dont think the plumbing is different. Winnebago uses pec tubing(Dunno if I spelled it correctly) throughout the coach.The fittings are all compression. You slide a male fitting on one end and the female fitting on other end of the pec tubing and then tighten the connections. You can use a couple pairs of channel locks to tighten.

I replaced the faucet in the kitchen and was able to find and install in line quarter turn "ball cock " valves in both hot and cold lines. The fitting on both of those required no tools as it was a push it on type fit. That fitting sorta snapped when the limit of the amount of pec tubing on the fitting was reached. I found the valves at a local hardware store and have not seen them at any RV dealers or parts stores (camping world, etc). I am guessing that most plumbing stores and RV dealers will carry fittings for the pec tubing.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Your plumbing diagrams have some details....

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Your plumbing diagrams have some details....
The diagrams are the first thing I look to, but in this case they did not give me the info I needed. They even refer to the Pex as 3/8" which is the OD but when purchasing parts its the ID that is used. What I needed were the connection types. The old connector looks like a mushroom and inserts into the hot/cold pipe with a cap over that. I did find this type of Pex at an ACE Hardware and could have used a Pex 1/4" to 1/4" connection if I were just repairing a line, but the new faucet is different.

All that was needed were two Shark Bite U3525LFA 1/4-Inch by 1/2-Inch Faucet Connectors. Amazon

I cut the original end connection off and put on the Sharkbite, some Teflon tape around the pipe and done.

Now if only the drain were so easy. The new parts are plastic with a coarse thread which leaked no matter how tight I put the nut against the seal. I researched this and found that it is a very common problem with new faucet drains made of plastic and to use plumbing dope that is compatible with plastic/pvc. This worked and the leak stopped.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
My rig is a 2005 Suncruiser. I dont think the plumbing is different. Winnebago uses pec tubing(Dunno if I spelled it correctly) throughout the coach.The fittings are all compression. You slide a male fitting on one end and the female fitting on other end of the pec tubing and then tighten the connections. You can use a couple pairs of channel locks to tighten.

I replaced the faucet in the kitchen and was able to find and install in line quarter turn "ball cock " valves in both hot and cold lines. The fitting on both of those required no tools as it was a push it on type fit. That fitting sorta snapped when the limit of the amount of pec tubing on the fitting was reached. I found the valves at a local hardware store and have not seen them at any RV dealers or parts stores (camping world, etc). I am guessing that most plumbing stores and RV dealers will carry fittings for the pec tubing.
I tried to find these but couldn't. All I could find were 1/4" to 1/2" Sharkbite PEX 1/4" turn ball valves. But then I could not find 1/2" connectors to the faucet. In any case I would have needed the end connection to be compatible with the new faucet.

I would love a picture and or part number for that valve as I am still interested in putting in a valve to shutoff the line if the faucet leaks in the future. Shutting off the entire rig for three days while hunting parts was not fun, plus I was near hardware stores. I did purchase extra PEX, straight connections and caps just in case.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I made a drawng of the Motor home plumbing system I dont think there is a difference in systems unless a coach has an aquahot system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV H2O system-1.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	126154  
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 05-05-2016, 05:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
I made a drawng of the Motor home plumbing system I dont think there is a difference in systems unless a coach has an aquahot system.
Thanks, I previously downloaded your drawing and keep both a digital and printed copy in my manuals. It was very helpful in understanding my system.

It looks like I have located the parts to put in a stop valve. Requires a 1/2" to 1/4" reducer some 1/2" PEX and the 1/2" to 1/4" valve

I will order up 4 of each when I am ready to do my kitchen faucet.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

As I mentioned previously, when I replaced my Galley Sink Faucet I found a couple 1/4 turn ball cock valves (found at a good hardware store and made for the pex stuff)that are push on fit. I do keep an eye on them and so far so good. If I ever have the thingy inside the Galley faucet (the thingy with the "O" rings on it) I wont have to turn off the whole system, not that is a big thing on a motor home .
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 05-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Are you just looking for the brand/style of fresh water fittings?

They are "Flair-It".

Flair-It | The Best in Pex Fittings for Over 25 Years

(Of course, as mentioned above, any PEX fittings will work.)

Old 05-05-2016, 10:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Are you just looking for the brand/style of fresh water fittings?

They are "Flair-It".

Flair-It | The Best in Pex Fittings for Over 25 Years

(Of course, as mentioned above, any PEX fittings will work.)
Do they have more products than what they list under products? My bath faucet supply is 1/4" and I only see 1/2" and larger for Flair-It. My kitchen sink does look to be 1/2" and will keep these in mind for that future project.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:39 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
Do they have more products than what they list under products? My bath faucet supply is 1/4" and I only see 1/2" and larger for Flair-It. My kitchen sink does look to be 1/2" and will keep these in mind for that future project.
Mike;
I replaced my kitchen, bathroom and shower faucets. All were 1/2 pex with compression fittings like the picture you posted. I did not install on/off valves.

I simply unscrewed the compression fitting, installed a new washer (optional) and screwed onto the new fixture. The washers were purchased at the rv supply store. They are approximately 1/2 dia with 1 flat side and a conical radius on the other side. Be sure to put tape or something in back of the compression fitting as when you loosen them they will slide possibly out of site.

To simplify it, I simply unscrewed the compression fitting and re screwed the same compression fitting onto the new faucet. You may not even need new washers.

This is all from memory of a old man but hope it helps you.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:50 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

@Charles, I'm not sure we have the same fittings. I think these are a type of compression because they fit into the pipe of the old faucet. These new ones are a different compression fitting that just push up against the pipe and have a rubber seal on the tip. This is the old fitting next to the new one. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1463435327.658041.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	127210
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1463435293.036633.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	127209

The old one is hard plastic, no seal and stuffed completely into the faucet inlet.

I looked at my kitchen faucet, and it appears to be 1/2".

Sent from my iPhone
Mike
Old 05-16-2016, 05:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

It looks like we don't have the same fittings.

Good luck with your hook up.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Those appear to be the fittings on the faucet supply lines, not the plumbing lines?

Tags
journey, plumbing