Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-10-2016, 01:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Signal cable from my Vista to toad

What you all think? I haven't a clue. Assuming I connected the wires correctly to the right pins, is a 6 wire incompatable with a 4 wire?

Here's my situation. In my first year of the 2015 Vista I have used a Roadmaster cord from my rv to my toad. The rv has a 6 pin adapter and both ends of the roadmaster cord (which is 4 wires) are 6 pins. So I plug one end into the rv adapter socket and one end into the car socket. All the signals and brake lights worked. Well, the rv end worked loose on a trip we were taking from the socket and dragged on the highway and the 6 pin wore off from the dragging of the cord.

I replaced the cord with the coiled Blue Ox cord 6 pin on each end. I noticed the Blue Ox cord has 6 wires as opposed to the 4 wires of the Roadmaster. All the signals worked on the toad with the Blue Ox. The same thing happened in year 2 of the Vista. The Blue Ox pin worked loose from the socket on the rv and the pin came off. So I again replaced the cord with a Blue Ox cable.

Has anyone else have these kind of situations? I thought I'd us bungee cords.
Well, I'll definitely bungee the cord to the socket and along the frame allowing enough slack for turns in case it comes loose again so it doesn't drag.

So now I have two damaged cords. I thought I would put the two together and use as a backup. So I attach the 6 pin to the Blue Ox damaged cord after reworking the 6 cords. I thought I made sure I attached the colored wires to the same pin as on the opposite end of the cable. AT to AT, r to r l to l, etc.Then on the Roadmaster I attached the 4 wires to the same pins on a spare socket as indicated on the opposite end.

I connected the 6 wire Blue Ox to the 4 Pin socket on the Roadmaster. Hooked up each end to the rv and the car.

Neither the turn signals or the brakes worked.

Assuming I connected the wires correctly to the right pins, is a 6 wire incompatable with a 4 wire? In theory I thought it would work.

I guess my backup cable idea wasn't so great afterall. Thanks again!
Old 06-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Could be a 'mirror image' issue. On one occasion, you're looking at the face of the clock, on the other occasion, you're looking at the back. Sometimes, especially after 0beer30, I get these confused.

However, why are these cords falling out. Usually, the cover on the 6 wire receptacle will hold the cord in; one must lift the cover to remove the cord. Maybe it's time to replace the receptacle. Again, before 0beer30.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

CORRECTED

If using a 6 wire RV to Toad the six are:

Battery + Charge Line
Ground
Left Turn / Brake Indicator Signal
Right Turn / Brake Indicator Signal
Running Lights Signal
Electric Brake Operating Power

If a 4 wire then you lose the Electric Brake Operating Power and the Charge Line

- If your towing a vehicle 4 down then you won't use the Electric Brake Operating Power Line and won't have a trailer brake controller in your RV. If using a tow dolly with electric brakes then this drives the tow dolly brakes.

- You may not use the 12 volt Charge Line, but in my case it lets me flat tow my Honda HR-V without running it's battery down. If using a tow dolly with a break away switch and battery on the dolly this keeps the tow dolly battery charged.

On my 2015 Vista Blue Ox 7 to 6 cable I had an issue with the Winnebago 7 Way Connector having the Electric Brake and Battery + outputs being reversed from what Blue Ox calls "standard", in my case I reversed those two wires on the 6 pin connector end of the Blue Ox cable.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Boy did I get confused. I put my right glove on my left foot but my right leg got stuck in my left sleeve but then the right foot was coming out at the ankle on the back door and the left foot was going out the dump valve.
Boy I sure would like to see a drawing of this.

Blue ox and Roadmaster both have diagrams of those cables on their websites. I would think you would be able to figure it out from them.
Good luck
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Here is the wiring diagram for the un-modified Blue Ox 7 way to 6 way cable I use on my Vista. As I noted in the other post I made on this thread I had an issue with the B plus and Trailer Brake wires coming out of my Vista being opposite of what Blue Ox expects to come out of RVs. There are several standards for 7 way connectors so this happens.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1465604841
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BX_2_500.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	129764  
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have used Roadmaster coiled cables for many years. Never, ever had a problem with them pulling out of socket -- if you do, you are doing something wrong. Check your procedures very carefully.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:27 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I agree with MGTR, if your cables are pulling out as you say then you are doing something wrong or the cables are too short. When you plug into the MH the flap should come back down and hold the cable in as designed. The same thing with the end on the car. They both should be a snug fit. I don't use the coiled cables, I use the straight cable that runs thru the Tow
Bar.
Now as far as 6wire to 4 wire, they have adapters for that. But because you have replaced the ends no big deal. Just make sure as someone else has said, don't do the mirror image thing. When all else fails, plug in the MH side then get your multimeter out and test the car side wire by wire before putting the end on it. Make sure you have pencil and paper to draw circles and input the color wire and what its for.
As far as the cable I would tie wrap it to the Tow Bar and make sure there is enough slack on both ends for maximum turns in either direction.

Tags
toad