Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2015, 07:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sightseer - Vista ??

Hello, this is kinda my first post, put part of this on a different thread and someone suggested this section. My DW and I are now ready to buy a class A and we narrowed it down to Winnebago Sightseer or Vista, new or a left over unit. Seems like what. we plan on doing will be perfect for us. After reading this thread though I'm considering buying for longer term. From what I'm reading the gasser's last a lot longer then i thought. We are looking at the larger units, 36-37 foot, 26K max load. Was wondering if anyone has a Sightseer or Vista, how they do up/down mountain roads and handle? Seems like they are a quality gas unit and what the think of them?

Thanks
Pete
31' Class C Georgie Boy
toad - Focus
ttcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Our first MH was a used 2004 Sightseer 30B we purchased in 2012. We recently upgraded to a 2012 Vista 30T. Have only been able to use once but loved it. The 30B had the Workhorse Chassis with the 8.1 liter Chevy Vortec engine. Downfall was the transmission was the Chevy and not the Allison. Spent 2 winters in the desert with it and basically flawless. We d mix dry camping and some RV parks. Last year we towed a small and a side by side (kept weight to 5000 # by using aluminum trailer). Averaged just under 7 MPG. Power was good but be ready for 45 mph up hills at 3500 RPM. The 30T is a Ford Chassis with the 6.8L V-10. Horsepower and torque ratings are real similar but not sure the Ford is quite as powerful. On a steep grade we have pulled with both coaches the Ford was at 35 MPH at the 3500 RPM but it did pull strong. That may be the gearing difference as the Ford tranny is a 5-speed. I found handling on both to be the same-these are big rigs and handling is a subjective subject. There are many posts on this site about upgrades and some were happy some not. There are also engine tuning upgrades available for the Ford. Unfortunately Chevy no longer makes the 8.1 and isn't in the MH game any more. I averaged a little over 6 on a 250 mile trip. So far I am pleased. I found the handling for this size rig to be good-I drove the worst stretch of narrow, windy road that we normally take to the desert. This coach appears that it may have some upgrades as did the Sightseer. Since I have not owned a new one out of the factory it is hard to compare the difference-hope this helps some. The Sightseer had 52000 miles the Vista has 10,000 so just getting broke in. The gas fits our style of travel-1500 miles or so to the desert, then much camping and 1500 miles or so back. If the goal is to cruise the country and a lot of miles diesel may be the better option because of the longer life and better pulling power. With good maintenance however a gas unit can get up to 200000 miles if not abused.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have the vista 36y and it handles great. It's my first RV I was looking at a C class because I rented one before and knew I could drive it but as I looked they all seemed too small. The A's seemed gigantic and ruled them out due to the fear of being able to drive it, turn, pass 18 wheeler's on the road etc. I went and a salesman basically forced me to test drive one. Wow was it comfortable. Now after about 1000 miles I feel like a pro and it feels easier than my car. I have no issues what so ever with it. However I am in Texas and have not been in a mountain area yet, but the transmission does seem to whine some when it's on cruise and downshifts to pick up speed. May be worse going up a steep slope but it does have a tow/haul your suppose to engage..... I have not tried that yet so can't give you a great answer on that subject.

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Just remember the Sightseer is a step up from the Vista as far as what's on the inside. What you should worry about is what floor plan you like the best. What I have learned is that no matter which one you choose you will always find something you like better in some ways but not in others.
Make sure after you have narrowed it down, to have them pull the slides in and then see how much you like it. Remember this is how it is when going down the road and can be big PITA and choice killer.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

SuperGewl has a great point. Loading and unloading for weekending can be difficult if slides have to be bumped out. Floor plan is key
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We have the 14 VISTA 35F-love the floorplan - can use the 1/2 bath with both slides in while traveling. Entire kitchen can be accessed, sofa and dinette both used. The 4 -door refrigerator used. The back (full) bath can be accessed if you feel like crawling across the bed and the first closet in the BR will open for access. The bureau drawers won't open with the bed slide in - that is the only area that must have slide out for use.
I cannot see us purchasing/having a unit without the 1-1/2 bath floorplan...we are accustomed to a large master bath at the S&B place and are too spoiled to share, especially when spending 2-3 months during winter in warmer climes!!! We have no problem on hills up to Washington DC.....have not taken it any further west that Dallas/Ft Worth so cannot really address higher mountain passes but we are getting 7plus with toad and AC on. (Plus hubby has a heavy foot and loves to drive speed limit on interstates.) The outside entertainment center is a real plus in good weather. Both of us drive this unit and find it comfortable for our needs.
Happy Trails to you..
Old 07-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Our 2013 Sunstar 35F has been up and down the mountains in West Texas, NM, AZ and Nevada. Sure, the five speed down shifts and V-10 noisily revs to 4,500 - 5,000 rpm but it is something we don't mind as it gets us there. Going down mountains is also easy when in Tow/Haul mode. A momentary step on the brakes and the transmission downshifts to act as an engine brake. Another momentary step and the tranny goes down to third gear. Works all the time.

As was stated the Vista/Sunstar are more entry level Class A coaches. They work fine for us during our 2-5 month trips but not as close to comfortable as the S & B house.

We frequently stop for both bathroom breaks and lunch while traveling. As was stated previously stated, there is full kitchen, dinette and 1/2 bath access with the slides in. We shopped manufacturers first then decided on a floor plan. We knew we only would buy something with a half bath. The position of the living room TV was also a critical decision. There is no way trying to watch TV, no matter how big the screen, while twisting one's neck 90 degrees is comfortable.

It all comes down to personal needs and desires.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

This was not mentioned. You referred to both lines of MH's from WBGO. We've been to the factory and did the tour. The ONLY differences between the Winnebago line and the Itasca line for any given model year are the interior and exterior colors, decor and fabric. Nothing else is different. Yes you will have options available for the different models but the basic set up is identical.

This was something that the salesperson nor anybody else mentioned. The guy in charge of the Decor department told us on the tour when ordering ours if there's a color,or fabric that you don't like on a WBGO and you find one on the Itasca line (same model different name) you can pay a deviation fee and have that color installed. You could even have an Itasca outside paint job put on a WBGO of the same line. It's the same as buying a truck/car. The engine, frame, etc etc is the same but you have leather and it's white and your buddy has cloth and it's red.

We did not like any of the light color leatherette upholstery available in the WBGO line but they had a brown color we did like on the Itasca line. Since we had to look at it for the next X # of years we paid $300 to have the darker color put in.

TeJay
Old 07-24-2015, 03:07 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

We just bought our first MH after 40 years of a 5th wheel. Floor plan is the critical component. For us, we wanted access to the bathroom and refrigerator plus someplace where we could lock up the cats. The 36Y floor plan fit our needs perfectly. We picked up the MH in late May and have been working on it since making it a home for us. We are our worst enemies though since we have all the years of rving behind us we want certain things.

We travel 6 months out of the year and begin in Sept., wander the US until Nov, settle down with family for Nov and Dec, more family in Jan then wander home.

We bought a Winnie Vista 36Y as our final decision. Quality and drivability seem fine, we only have small hills around here. I think we will drive it with tow/haul on all the time, don't see any reason not to. When we get into more serious mountains we will see how it works. I have read about a Five Star Tune that enhances the shift points so they are better, if we don't like what we have we will get the Five Star Tune.

My biggest complaint about pretty much all mfgs is there lack of common sense when building a rig. Someone who is an rver should live in a model for a week or so, fully loaded to see what needs to be tweaked. You can live with anything for a week or so, talking months little things can become big annoyances.

Good luck on your purchase.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Once again we are in the process of looking to replace our current MH and have been looking around. We've looked at a number of Winnebago Vista models in person, and many more on the web as the one we were most interested in aren't locally findable as its a brand new model (31BE). What we have noticed is the Vista's as others have said are Winnebago's entry level and while some models have a few good standard features, many to me, look and feel cheap. If you want a Winnebago, I think you would be happier with the Sightseer model. Others may feel different.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:48 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Congratulations on your almost first Class A.

We also started out with tent camping, pop-up, travel trailer and now motorhome. When we were looking at motorhomes we talked to a lot of people, the best advice I received was to purchase the higher trim line even of that meant going back in model years. Meaning that I'm sure we could have purchased a "newer" motorhome for the same cost as we got our Adventurer for but it would have lacked the features. Things like solid doors and latches for exterior storage, residential kitchen and bathroom fixtures, residential convection oven, sinks, countertops. I go to RV shows and see units that are new that do not stack up to the quality of ours.

As far as power up hills you will be fine. You will not win any race but realistically how many miles will you drive a year? in the past five years we put on between 4-6k on ours. We tow a Subaru and have no issues.

What model are you looking at? I see some only have a 4kw generator and one AC unit.

Like others have stated, look at floor plans. But don't be shy to look at a little older model either.

Best of luck..
Old 07-24-2015, 08:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

While we were searching we decided on the Vista 30-T model. The primary reason we decided on that model was the floor plan, dinette table and chairs instead of the booth. We've had 6 units and never found any of the booth dinette's very comfortable. We also didn't want anything much over 31-34'. Also having the 50-amp service and two AC wasn't high priority. After 2 years we still don't need two AC's.

At that time of year April,May 2013 WBGO does their model change over. That's the time they re-do all the interior decor and exterior colors. We/I traveled all over the area but could not see even one model outfitted the way we wanted it. I did see an Itasca model (same as the Vista-30T but it had all wrong colors. That was in Houston but the DW was not with me.

The only way we could do the deed was to visit the factory in Iowa. When the tour was finished the bus driver took several of us out to the shipping lot. We were able to see 2013 and 2014 models ready for shipping. We saw every floor plan and color available on both model years for every model they made. We were able to compare all colors, fabrics, cabinet colors, floor plans etc. That was the best way to really see and get what you wanted. If we ever buy a different model we will do the exact same thing.

When we bought our first TT we saw a few models but ordered a floor plan that we only saw in pictures. That was a big mistake. The big kitchen slide only went out about 16-18". We only kept it for a year. The next model was bought we did see the model and the big slide went out 38". That made a world of difference in interior room. Just some of the little things that you may not notice when searching.

I guess the Vista line is one of their entry level models but we found the quality very good and have had few issues with anything. We'd go WBGO again. No the WOW factor and interior decor is not comparable to many other makes/models but it wasn't $150,000 - $250,000 + dollars either.

TeJay
Old 07-24-2015, 08:51 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
While we were searching we decided on the Vista 30-T model. The primary reason we decided on that model was the floor plan, dinette table and chairs instead of the booth. We've had 6 units and never found any of the booth dinette's very comfortable. We also didn't want anything much over 31-34'. Also having the 50-amp service and two AC wasn't high priority. After 2 years we still don't need two AC's.

At that time of year April,May 2013 WBGO does their model change over. That's the time they re-do all the interior decor and exterior colors. We/I traveled all over the area but could not see even one model outfitted the way we wanted it. I did see an Itasca model (same as the Vista-30T but it had all wrong colors. That was in Houston but the DW was not with me.

The only way we could do the deed was to visit the factory in Iowa. When the tour was finished the bus driver took several of us out to the shipping lot. We were able to see 2013 and 2014 models ready for shipping. We saw every floor plan and color available on both model years for every model they made. We were able to compare all colors, fabrics, cabinet colors, floor plans etc. That was the best way to really see and get what you wanted. If we ever buy a different model we will do the exact same thing.

When we bought our first TT we saw a few models but ordered a floor plan that we only saw in pictures. That was a big mistake. The big kitchen slide only went out about 16-18". We only kept it for a year. The next model was bought we did see the model and the big slide went out 38". That made a world of difference in interior room. Just some of the little things that you may not notice when searching.

I guess the Vista line is one of their entry level models but we found the quality very good and have had few issues with anything. We'd go WBGO again. No the WOW factor and interior decor is not comparable to many other makes/models but it wasn't $150,000 - $250,000 + dollars either.

TeJay

We decided on the Vista 30T for most of the same reasons that you mention. We have been full time in it since April. The coach has performed well with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone6 using iRV2 mobile
Old 07-24-2015, 09:10 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

As I and others have stated, choose your floor plan and actually find one to touch and feel it with the slides in and slides out.
This will help with accessibility, also check all of the storage compartments out while you are at it.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thanks All for comments and suggestions on what to look for and differences on units. I feel a lot about buying a gasser with all the comment also.

So, the reason you didn't hear from me is we ended up buying a 2015 Sunova 35G left over, doing paper work this week and hopefully will pick up in a couple of weeks.
We fill really blessed to be able to get such a nice, what we consider quality built unit like this. this is the floor plan my wife liked the most (4 years runnning at Hersey show).

Once again thanks for all the replys, irv2 is a great place to get advice and info.
Pete
2015 Sunova G35 (soon)
2014 Focus (toad)
ttcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:25 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Congratulations! After a couple of weeks of stocking her up you should be ready to enjoy the fall camping season.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Good choice on the 35G Sunova. We picked up a 2015 Sightseer 35G in March and are very happy so far. Yes the wife chose the floorplan, I chose the front bunk bed, and good tv angle. Yes I did spring for the 5 star tune and very pleased with that addition. This is the second Ford V10, and I knew if I purchased the coach I definately would add the 5 Star Tune for all the hills around me. Good choice! We have King size bed and love it, but do wish for a little more walk around the bed room.
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sightseer